Lag issues, input needed on a possible fix.

DarthFathead

Hey guys, I have had this game since its release date and Im still having uber fun, but I've noticed whenever I get into an area (inside buildings and such) I get a boatload of lag and its almost impossible to move around and fight. I have a Toshiba Satellite L655 with about 4gig of RAM with a AMD Turion II P540 Dual-Core Processor (2.40 GHz). My online connector is Comcast and I have no real problems with my internet connection on any game so far. Could any of these things be causing a lag issue? And If so what could be a possible fix? Thanks for the input ^_^

I used to lag a lot before and the one major thing u can do is turn the shadows off.

Now, many ppl say that you can do this in game. and you can but even after i did tht , i was still having the issue.

What i did then was edited the client_defaults file on the SWTOR folder on my computer and voila. no more lag. my fps was 8x faster. not kidding

do this:

Open up the folder where your game is located on C: and click on Retailclient and look into the folder and open up the file named "client_defaults.xxx" in notepad and make the following changes.

change fullscreen from true to false

change shadows from true to false

After i did this change, my lag days r over and even though i have a crappy computer, i dont even lag at pvp warzones or any areas in game.

However, i found out that after each patch update they have, the file seems to go back to the way it was so u might have to do the same thing everytime there's a new patch update.

I used to lag a lot before and the one major thing u can do is turn the shadows off.

Now, many ppl say that you can do this in game. and you can but even after i did tht , i was still having the issue.

What i did then was edited the client_defaults file on the SWTOR folder on my computer and voila. no more lag. my fps was 8x faster. not kidding

do this:

Open up the folder where your game is located on C: and click on Retailclient and look into the folder and open up the file named "client_defaults.xxx" in notepad and make the following changes.

After i did this change, my lag days r over and even though i have a crappy computer, i dont even lag at pvp warzones or any areas in game.

However, i found out that after each patch update they have, the file seems to go back to the way it was so u might have to do the same thing everytime there's a new patch update.

I had done the trick with turing off the shadows off, and it worked for a good while. But the past few days its been lagging horribly. What I should have mentioned in the eariler message is that this lag happens most often whenever Im in a bulding (Jedi Temple, a cave on Korriban, etc). Funny enough I never had that problem when the game was first out. Also I did try what you mentioned and turned some of those from true to false and I have noticed less lag. However Its still pretty bad when Im in a "crowed" area. I'll have to check around the web to see If anyone else has had this issue. Thanks for the tips though :)

• 4 weeks later...

Here you go...

Click the Start bottom at bottom left, you will see a box 'Search' box, so type in there Star. You will see a list of files, just double click the yellow one one labeled 'Star Wars - The Old Republic.

This opens a new page with list of files, doduble click the yellow one labeled SWTOR. You should now have 2 files, double click the retailclient one. Down the page you will see client-defaults, double click that.

On this page you will the stuff above you need to change from True to False.

Hope this helps:)

do this:

i've had this annoying lag kind of each time i get inside somewhere.. usually it should lag when you're outside but well.. yeah :b but this ''fix'' seems to have done the problem! thanks alot for the tip :D

do this:

THANKS ALOT! :D this worked for me to, very much! tahnks again!

• 2 weeks later...
i trying to do true/false trick and i cant find the file in C or anywhere

At first i could not find but then I found it under :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient

I don't know if that will help but it was there onn my computer. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...