Rediscovering the game after a year or so off has been so much fun!

Jedi_Rachael

I started playing the game back in 2011/12, took a break in 2015 but came back for KOFE and Eternal Throne. I took a long break starting November 17 to play other games and coming back this weekend has been so much fun. The last time I played was when we got Quinn back. I just want to say being a vet coming back I love the changes to the Cartel Market. Being able to directly purchases anything I want from the packs is amazing and is what something I was wanting to happen. I'm looking forward to 5.10 and the new expansion. I just wanna say I missed this community even those who keep saying "SWTOR is dead".

And the community here on the forums seems to be excited for 5.10 and the new expansion as well....!

Are you reading the same forums as the rest of us? "Excited" isn't the word I would choose to describe player reaction to 5.10. If you're excited, then perhaps a little rewording might be in order to reflect that instead of making it sound like everything is gumdrops and rainbows with 5.10.

Are you reading the same forums as the rest of us? "Excited" isn't the word I would choose to describe player reaction to 5.10. If you're excited, then perhaps a little rewording might be in order to reflect that instead of making it sound like everything is gumdrops and rainbows with 5.10.

I hate gumdrops, am indifferent to rainbows, but I am looking forward to 5.10, and 6.0 (any news on this? anything other than "SOON tm?"

Not everyone but a good number of people in these forums have largely positive reception to it, especially in terms of story. And don't put words in my mouth, I never said everything was pitch-perfect with rainbows over the forums over 5.10 but the responses seem to be largely positive.

I hate gumdrops, am indifferent to rainbows, but I am looking forward to 5.10, and 6.0 (any news on this? anything other than "SOON tm?"

Nope, unfortunately we don't know much about the expansion other than it will be Imperial VS Republic themed. I wouldn't expect it to hear anything about until 5.10.

Edited by FlameYOL

I'm pretty hopeful about 5.10 and then 6.0.

The gearing changes aren't unusual. The new gear is always a bit more difficult to get at the start of each gearing system. That isn't different.

I'm cautiously hopeful about the brief mention of conquest changes coming in 5.10.

In the live stream from last week, about 40 minutes in (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/321336314) they go over some of the changes in a vague sense.

The fact that they are going to "focus less on" daily legacy restrictions (or however they worded it) is something I was relieved by. They also are going to allow some conquest customization via a new currency "guild bucks" (temp name) so that your guild can focus on conquest objective that the guild likes (whether it's ops or crafting or whatever) to get extra points beyond the basic list available each week in the menu.

Not everyone but a good number of people in these forums have largely positive reception to it, especially in terms of story. And don't put words in my mouth, I never said everything was pitch-perfect with rainbows over the forums over 5.10 but the responses seem to be largely positive.

Your mistake was implying in a casual way that someone other than you personally is interested in x. That was just the opening that the forum Grammar police needed to swoop down and inform you that they are not excited and how dare you etc etc.

Nowhere else but this forum have I seen such consistent persnicketyness from people being offended that they are theoretically being included inside a general 'we' or 'the forums'.

Of course, if there is any justice, someone else should chime in and criticize Mournblood's reference to 'player reaction'. Something along the lines of "What, player reaction? Sir, as I am a player of this game like you I am OFFENDED that you are including me in your catch-all reference to 'player reaction'. I assure you that in contravention to your hasty generalization I etc etc."

It's as if we need to conduct a poll every time someone says 'we' or 'the forum' or 'the community' to ensure that only those people are being referenced in that category and no one is accidentally being spoken for.

tl;dr: let's make the forum sea lions extinct.

Edited by Ardrossan

Your mistake was implying in a casual way that someone other than you personally is interested in x. That was just the opening that the forum Grammar police needed to swoop down and inform you that they are not excited and how dare you etc etc.

Nowhere else but this forum have I seen such consistent persnicketyness from people being offended that they are theoretically being included inside a general 'we' or 'the forums'.

Of course, if there is any justice, someone else should chime in and criticize Mournblood's reference to 'player reaction'. Something along the lines of "What, player reaction? Sir, as I am a player of this game like you I am OFFENDED that you are including me in your catch-all reference to 'player reaction'. I assure you that in contravention to your hasty generalization I etc etc."

It's as if we need to conduct a poll every time someone says 'we' or 'the forum' or 'the community' to ensure that only those people are being referenced in that category and no one is accidentally being spoken for.

You just made my day! Thank you! :)

@Jedi_Racheal: Welcome back! I'm very excited for 5.10. I hope it will be as good as it sounds, and I hope you can enjoy it.

Edited by Salphidor

From where I'm sitting, it's a fairly divisive issue, and folks making light of it because they don't see a problem with the upcoming tier 5 gearing system is fairly short sighted. Players are upset about it. Certainly not all of them. Maybe not even most of them. But a substantial number at least as far as forum representation goes. The point is, some players are planning to leave the game if the proposed changes go live. Whether you agree with that or sympathize with them or not, players leaving the game, which has already been in a steady decline for some time now, is not good for anyone who's still playing. Every player that leaves the game brings you one step closer to maintenance mode.

I'm not saying that someone should not be enthusiastic or encouraging when welcoming back a returning player, but be honest with them about what they are coming back to. Yes, a new planet is exciting news. Yes, some of the guild UI changes they have planned are long overdue and exciting as well. The Conquest changes won't solve all the problems with the new system, but it will help take the sting out of it. But then they are also adding a new tier of gear without a level cap increase that heavily favors about 2% of the remaining player base, and as it stands on the PTS without further changes, will essentially force players to do content they may not enjoy or otherwise engage in just so that they can remain competitive in PvP. There's also the looming questions over guild vs guild PvP, and whether or not that means that they intend to separate the WZ queues. I think you get the idea. Full disclosure is always best, so that new or returning players aren't disappointed or disillusioned by what's going on in the game. A 3.5 month gear grind may sound appropriate to some, but the Devil is always in the details, and the impact on PvP cannot be overstated.

Perhaps a little more perspective might be helpful here, rather than climbing atop your white horse to condescend that my criticism of the first response to this thread was solely based on some obsession with grammar, or a perceived insult to myself that the word "community" and "excited" were used in the same sentence together when describing 5.10.

Please.

As for the making sea lions extinct metaphor, they fill a crucial ecological niche. Be careful what you wish for.

From where I'm sitting, it's a fairly divisive issue, and folks making light of it because they don't see a problem with the upcoming tier 5 gearing system is fairly short sighted. Players are upset about it. Certainly not all of them. Maybe not even most of them. But a substantial number at least as far as forum representation goes. The point is, some players are planning to leave the game if the proposed changes go live. Whether you agree with that or sympathize with them or not, players leaving the game, which has already been in a steady decline for some time now, is not good for anyone who's still playing. Every player that leaves the game brings you one step closer to maintenance mode.

I'm not saying that someone should not be enthusiastic or encouraging when welcoming back a returning player, but be honest with them about what they are coming back to. Yes, a new planet is exciting news. Yes, some of the guild UI changes they have planned are long overdue and exciting as well. The Conquest changes won't solve all the problems with the new system, but it will help take the sting out of it. But then they are also adding a new tier of gear without a level cap increase that heavily favors about 2% of the remaining player base, and as it stands on the PTS without further changes, will essentially force players to do content they may not enjoy or otherwise engage in just so that they can remain competitive in PvP. There's also the looming questions over guild vs guild PvP, and whether or not that means that they intend to separate the WZ queues. I think you get the idea. Full disclosure is always best, so that new or returning players aren't disappointed or disillusioned by what's going on in the game. A 3.5 month gear grind may sound appropriate to some, but the Devil is always in the details, and the impact on PvP cannot be overstated.

Perhaps a little more perspective might be helpful here, rather than climbing atop your white horse to condescend that my criticism of the first response to this thread was solely based on some obsession with grammar, or a perceived insult to myself that the word "community" and "excited" were used in the same sentence together when describing 5.10.

Please.

As for the making sea lions extinct metaphor, they fill a crucial ecological niche. Be careful what you wish for.

Rachel are you a PvP'er?

Do you intend to raid at the highest levels on Master/Nightmare Mode?

If you answered NO to the above then this entire post is not relevant to you.

Like "Most" of the people liking 5.9 and in anticipation of more of the same from 6.0 the new gear tier means nothing as it is not required for the majority of players.

At this point the PvP'ers do not know if they will need the gear either, but they are starting early on the complaining just in case.

From where I'm sitting response has been fairly positive, I'm not disagreeing as to possible problems with it but threads in general do seem to be excited for 5.10, and I'm relying that information, as in "the community" is excited for it. Certainly anybody is entitled to respond to my post and tell me why they don't feel excited, but the community vibe I'm getting from 5.10 is largely positive.

Credit where credit is due, your concerns are valid. I really don't mind a new tier of gear, I have no need for it, nor am I surprised by it. It was either going to be a new tier of gear, or a new tier of augments, at the end of the day for that we would have to pick a poison, and considering Copero and Nathema I'm not surprised it's a new tier of gear now. Well then let's all get on the PTS and help them refine the process, hopefully this time they'll listen to us when it comes to prices and such. I do hope they find a way to mitigate that for PVP, even though I haven't done a Warzone in a year. Guild VS Guild PVP was answered, if I recall. Its just going to be its own thing, not a warzone but don't quote me on that. I definitely do remember them mentioning at least how you'd be able to keep track of your winqlosses.

Leaving this here in case someone somewhere has not run across the sea lion term before.

http://wondermark.com/1k62/

Incidentally, today is my last day of sub time, I don't care enough about 5.10 to pay a sub for it. But am I going to nitpick and hijack threads because other players think the general reception to the upcoming content is positive? No. I'm not a sea lion.

Edited by Ardrossan

Rachel are you a PvP'er?

Do you intend to raid at the highest levels on Master/Nightmare Mode?

If you answered NO to the above then this entire post is not relevant to you.

Like "Most" of the people liking 5.9 and in anticipation of more of the same from 6.0 the new gear tier means nothing as it is not required for the majority of players.

At this point the PvP'ers do not know if they will need the gear either, but they are starting early on the complaining just in case.

I'm a bit of both really but more PVE. I wanna get back into raiding as I was enjoying it in WoW when I was playing it which made me miss the raids in this game hence why I'm back.

From where I'm sitting response has been fairly positive, I'm not disagreeing as to possible problems with it but threads in general do seem to be excited for 5.10, and I'm relying that information, as in "the community" is excited for it. Certainly anybody is entitled to respond to my post and tell me why they don't feel excited, but the community vibe I'm getting from 5.10 is largely positive.

I think I'm beating the proverbial dead horse at this point, but just to clarify this point, on the General forums, there are currently four separate threads on the first page complaining about the proposed tier 5 gearing system. There is only one thread that I saw on the first page which actually lauds the upcoming 5.10 content, and in that post, it's only talking about the new planet, not the gearing system.

On that note, I'll say welcome back, Rachael! I hope you indeed find SWTOR fun again.

I think I'm beating the proverbial dead horse at this point, but just to clarify this point, on the General forums, there are currently four separate threads on the first page complaining about the proposed tier 5 gearing system. There is only one thread that I saw on the first page which actually lauds the upcoming 5.10 content, and in that post, it's only talking about the new planet, not the gearing system.

I get the point you are trying to make here.... but....

...Given the very common aspect of human nature to get very worked up and vocal about something someone does not like and remain fairly passive and unengaged when things are "working as you feel is intended".. your statement here proves absolutely nothing. :) Every objective veteran forum poster knows this and factors this (or really should if they don't) in to any attempt to "validate based on forum posts".

The reality is.. for any given change or addition to an MMO:

A) some players will hate it, with a passion.

B) some players will love it, with a passion.

C) most players will just roll along with it as they understand that MMOs change, that they do not have the ability to force the MMO to be tuned to their particular tastes, and instead will flow with it and lean into the challenge if it is something they want to pursue. And, if they find whatever it is to be tedious and not interesting.. they will do a personal value assessment to decide if whatever it is... is worth their time, effort, and resources to invest in it.

Edited by Andryah

Welcome back Jedi_Rachael :)

I am actually of the view, and have been for many years, that MMO players personally benefit from taking a break from time to time and do something else or play some other MMO. It inoculates the player from boredom and burnout..... if they do not wait until they are so personally bent over an MMO as to feel perpetually negative about it and are not having any fun logging in. And in most cases, when they come back later.. they have fresh eyes and appreciation for the game they took a break from.