Bioware Swtor US servers having problems.

Totemdancer

Massive red x and dropouts, disconects and excessive ping. Game is completely unplayable.

The problems are the last 4 hops where the data centre connects to the net.

Other people having the same problems. You can see it on reddit -

This is only happening on the US servers and not the EU.

Edited by Totemdancer

Massive red x and dropouts, disconects and excessive ping. Game is completely unplayable.

I've been playing on Star Forge for the past few hours without any problems and I'm in New Zealand. Luck of the draw maybe?

The reddit that you linked is clearly for an Aus player, like yourself. And comment number 3 points out that for the pingplot image captured..... Your biggest problem is the handoff between reach.com and Telstra. That’s between you and your ISP. The 25-30ms between above and the SWTOR servers is peanuts compared to that. Comment 2 is more vague.. pointing out the pingplot does not show anything about the servers... and that there is an issue inside the data center (how they would know that I have no clue). Either way... if this was a data center problem... then many US players would be impacted and would be lighting up the forum over it.

I get that you are definitely having connection problems to the US servers from Aus... but that does not mean it is the servers that are the problem. Again...if it were the servers.. the US players would be barking up the forum left and right. I personally have seen zero issues in with the servers in more then a month now (from the west coast US.. as I stated in your other thread) ... and my last issue was not even on Biowares end of things even then... it was a local backbone here in silicon valley.

In your case, you seeing issues connecting to US servers, but not EU servers. There should be some clear and objective ways to analyze and determine why that is happening to you.

A good point of analysis here would be for fellow Aus players to compare their pingplots, ISPs, etc to see if you can get to a root cause that is impacting you.

Edited by Andryah

The reddit that you linked is clearly for an Aus player, like yourself. And comment number 3 points out that for the pingplot image captured..... Your biggest problem is the handoff between reach.com and Telstra. That’s between you and your ISP. The 25-30ms between above and the SWTOR servers is peanuts compared to that.

I get that you are definitely having connection problems to the US servers for Aus... but that does not mean it is the servers that are the problem. If it were the servers.. the US players would be barking up the forum left and right. I personally have seen zero issues in with the servers in more then a month now (from the west coast US.. as I stated in your other thread) ... and my last issue was not even on Biowares end of things even then... it was a local backbone here in silicon valley.

That’s not true. That hand off is always that high and is fine. This is a problem between above.net and the swtor data Center. How can you not see that and all the red lines, which are the problem because they represent drop outs at the EA end.

Edited by Totemdancer

That’s not true. That hand off is always that high and is fine. This is a problem between above.net and the swtor data Center. How can you not see that and all the red lines, which are the problem because they represent drop outs at the EA end.

I'm looking at the image posted and it clearly shows an extremely heavy component in the route is between reach.com and telestra... just like comment number 3 on reddit clearly stated. It contributes 180ms to the total route. A route total of 247 +/- by the way.. which I hear is pretty good for an Aus customer.

I agree that packet loss is the real issue being shown.. but it is not clear where that packet loss is taking place... from the plots presented. If you are somehow keying off of the color coding of the hop numbers...that would be incorrect. I'm not sure you can actually surmise the packet loss unless you have the tethering graph to the right, which is not shown... as wide fluctuations do generally correlate. That said.. the stability of the ping numbers would indicate solid routes, which would be unusual if there is actually packet losses swamping out the connection.

So the question becomes... why are you having an issue and other players are not? Note: I am not saying you not are having issues.. only that if the server, or datacenter/gateway is the problem.. it should be a problem for every NA player.

Edited by Andryah

I'm looking at the image posted and it clearly shows an extremely heavy component in the route is between reach.com and telestra... just like comment number 3 on reddit clearly stated. It contributes 180ms to the total route. A route total of 247 +/- by the way.. which I hear is pretty good for an Aus customer.

I agree that packet loss is the real issue being shown.. but it is not clear where that packet loss is taking place... from the plots presented. If you are somehow keying off of the color coding of the hop numbers...that would be incorrect. I'm not sure you can actually surmise the packet loss unless you have the tethering graph to the right, which is not shown... as wide fluctuations do generally correlate. That said.. the stability of the ping numbers would indicate solid routes.

Yes, that is the tunnel (not sure of the term) that takes the link to the east coast. It is always a big jump and then stays at the amount all the way to the servers. Mine is usually 215ms from where Telstra connects to the US to the actual server.

Yes, that is the tunnel (not sure of the term) that takes the link to the east coast. It is always a big jump and then stays at the amount all the way to the servers. Mine is usually 215ms from where Telstra connects to the US to the actual server.

So the question becomes... why are you (and apparently some other Aus players) having an issue and other players are not? Note: I am not saying you are not having issues.. only that if the server, or datacenter/gateway is the problem.. it should be a problem for every NA player.

Edited by Andryah

I believe it’s fixed now.

It had something to do with one of the connections between swtor and one of their ISPs.

Which means not everyone would have been affected.

It was probably a bad port on a router.

You have been having this issue a lot though in the last week, right?

I am facing the same issues. Based in Australia as well. Tried both my home connection (iiNet) and also using my phone as a hotspot (Vodafone). Have no other issues with any other sites and has been working fine all week. Latest I tried was 5 mins ago. Edited by Opiam

• 2 months later...

[Note that reddit link and the earlier posts are 2 months old]

The ping plots on reddit show a problem appearing between Zayo and above.net (note Zayo acquired above.net in 2012) and that was likely a backbone issue nothing to do with the servers themselves.

Edited by OwenBrooks

Ours is usually around 300ms here also. NBN on sunshine coast qld.

I spoke to soon. Now it’s pinging between 230 and 350ms depending on where we are in the game.

I’ve run a tracert and ping Plotter and there are not problems with the sub connection to the US or even any of the hops to the servers.

This lag is happening directly on the servers.