[DM] I am looking to buy a normal, western male name

Lundorff

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that is extreme. And by that I mean I doubt many people have had that problem.

He's not wrong. I struggled to find a good name on my first character and went through exactly the same invalid name process.

I eventually settled on Areopagitica, which I've loathed ever since and transferred out to another server as soon as possible.

My names are generally descriptions or adjectives, occasionally cruel nicknames. The Cathar chars all get names from CATS or stories/folklore about cats. I don't use accents, extra letters or any of that crap, it just highlights one's lack of creativity.

I was always under the impression that "real world" names were not allowed by the naming system and any that do exist were glitches.

Nope :)

Source: Me. I've been around since before launch, and have had Alexandra and Meagan since, as well as a few other normal-ish names (Medley, Sariyah, Consonance, Libretta, Inivera).

From what I remember from waaaaaaay back in the day, the only names that were not allowed (as several others have pointed out) were existing Star Wars character names. Post-launch, BW was SUPER aggressive with responding to player-reported name violations, which no doubt added barrel-fulls of other names to the taboo list. Most of those were copyright-ish ones from other franchises (Hulk, Hermione, etc.)

Edited by MedleyMelody

Nope :)

Source: Me. I've been around since before launch, and have had Alexandra and Meagan since, as well as a few other normal-ish names (Medley, Sariyah, Consonance, Libretta, Inivera).

From what I remember from waaaaaaay back in the day, the only names that were not allowed (as several others have pointed out) were existing Star Wars character names. Post-launch, BW was SUPER aggressive with responding to player-reported name violations, which no doubt added barrel-fulls of other names to the taboo list. Most of those were copyright-ish ones from other franchises (Hulk, Hermione, etc.)

I think the system didn't like "biblical" names either. It was a long time ago.

Now I pretty much just add "sool" to any of my existing single name toons.

And now to something slightly different... :D

Rules:

• ...The name must, obviously, be tradable. You can test this by trying to register the name again, and if it say "Invalid name" then your name is glitched / reserved and can not be traded so to speak. It must say "Name unavailable".

I just prefer normal names like John....

I know John is glitched / reserved. I had it at launch, lost it in the first server merges and tried to get it back when spaces were introduced even lost access to the name I had in between as it was too close to John. Even tried a ticket or 2. Be very careful if you find a seller and test the name yourself. Otherwise you may end up both losing out on that name.

So this entire thread is just a troll by OP? Not cool. Why offer to buy names and then scoff at the great names offered and admit that you really just want someone to give you the name. Anyone who has one that you would want would be insane to just give it with this attitude that you're presenting.

Pay the credits or suck it up and be creative like the rest of us.

I don't use accents, extra letters or any of that crap, it just highlights one's lack of creativity.

That's unnecessarily ad-hominem. I never said it was wrong or uncreative to want a "normal" name, so why would you peg me as uncreative for making use of the tools I have to get a name that's within reach?

It has nothing to do with creativity, or lack thereof- it has everything to do with how strict your criteria for choosing a name happens to be. If your preference is narrow, then you're probably going to have some trouble, that's all there is to it.

Two people who happened to think up the same name doesn't make either of them lacking in creativity- they just happened to come up with the same name by coincidence, and if one is willing to use alt codes, punctuation or surnames to make that name their own, then I don't think that's indicative of anything but their own ingenuity. They still came up with the name, regardless of whether it was taken or not, and then proceeded to find a way to make it work.

If a "stupid" thing works, then it's not stupid. It's a solution to a problem. And, in the end, basically every person on the planet is running around with a "copy" of somebody else's name. It's not that name that really matters in the end, it's how you apply your personality to it, and make it truly unique, and truly yours.

Edited by SourOrange

So this entire thread is just a troll by OP? Not cool. Why offer to buy names and then scoff at the great names offered and admit that you really just want someone to give you the name. Anyone who has one that you would want would be insane to just give it with this attitude that you're presenting.

Pay the credits or suck it up and be creative like the rest of us.

So I should pay hundred of millions for names I don't particular like? But of course that makes sense :D

I suspect you are the troll here 1/10. Feel free to leave the thread alone.

So I should pay hundred of millions for names I don't particular like? But of course that makes sense :D

I suspect you are the troll here 1/10. Feel free to leave the thread alone.

People offered what you asked for and you dismissed the offers out of hand. That's fine, it's your prerogative. But, the attitude displayed with it just smells like you were never sincere to begin with. That, or there are only a handful of names that you deem "acceptable." And even then I doubt you would pay what they are "worth."

Get creative. There are plenty of great names not taken. If you want bland, uncreative names... well, ok... but being original and unboring should be encouraged.

People offered what you asked for and you dismissed the offers out of hand. That's fine, it's your prerogative. But, the attitude displayed with it just smells like you were never sincere to begin with. That, or there are only a handful of names that you deem "acceptable." And even then I doubt you would pay what they are "worth."

Get creative. There are plenty of great names not taken. If you want bland, uncreative names... well, ok... but being original and unboring should be encouraged.

As I stated in my first post I would pay up to 100m for a name that no one was using. If people want more than that, they will have to find some other buyer. And no there are not just a handful of names I find acceptable, but I am sure as s*** not going to pay the equcalent of +100 USD for names I don't really, really like. And no I will not "get creative". I have a certain notion about names, and while you might find it annoying, it's entirely up to me.

You add nothing but annoying to this thread, so unless you have a name for me, kindly leave it alone.