Disable One Time Password

Darqu

It's annoying that it asks for a OTP every time the IP changes.

Why is it not possible to just disable this feature?

Are you seriously asking why it's not possible to disable a security feature designed to help prevent an account from being compromised?

Edited by PiiTarr

With Cryptic you can disable the OTP requirement, so they give you the option.

And yeah it's not a security feature if I don't need it.

All it is it's being annoying and unwanted.

I'd even say that I should be able to store my password to not have to enter it every time.

What is more secure? A cleartext .txt file with your password in it, or an encrypted password stored by the game patcher?

I've not had the OTP request fire even once if I wasn't the one who logged in. In other words it has NEVER happened to me to my credentials were compromised, ever. Any game, any service.

I'm also not using a virus scanner, because it's snake oil.

If someone wants to trojan/backdoor your computer they will. No heuristics will save you.

Same with this OTP requirement. If your computer is already compromised they also have access to your email credentials or at least are able to read your mail.

And I'm not an avid smartphone user and this securitykey is also the same annoying thing as the OTP. You have to confirm that you're you every time.

Annoying, unwanted.

With Cryptic you can disable the OTP requirement, so they give you the option.

And yeah it's not a security feature if I don't need it.

Cryptic also has a history of account hackings too.

I'm also not using a virus scanner, because it's snake oil.

If someone wants to trojan/backdoor your computer they will. No heuristics will save you.

LMAO..... ok pal.... by all means expose yourself to ransomware, or worse, for nothing more then traveling across the internet. One mistake.. and you are toast... so have with that.

firewalls are a waste of time too I suppose... :p

Too funny.

Edited by Andryah

Because a compromised account is an expensive customer service encounter, in time and effort. There's a reason they give away 100 CC a month if you have a security key. That's USD $10 a year of peace of mind to them (more or less, based on the cost of CC at Amazon)

This.

Are you seriously asking why it's not possible to disable a security feature designed to help prevent an account from being compromised?

Yesterday I needed to re-open launcher few Times to finally get a one time code (gmai.com) after last time i opened i waited more than 10 minutes for that.

OTOH, I would agree they ought to do away with one-time-emails for the regular run of logins. Because they're not a secure method of doing 2 factor authentication and everyone should be using secure 2FA for every login. (As basically everyone who actually works in the computer security industry agrees.)

firewalls are a waste of time too I suppose... :p

Since CS still tells us to open half the ports, without mentioning that they mean outgoing ports, which should be open anyway unless you try to run the game at work, many users will have their firewall wide open. :p

And BTW: unless you also add a security key or OTP to your origin account (log in using the SWTOR login+password) someone who got your username and password can change your email and then disable the security key.