Tone Down Your Ridiculous Prices

DaniFantoma

So normally I wouldn't really bother with this, but I saw an item in the cartel market, a lightsaber, worth around 5,000 or so cartel coins. That is around 40 dollars. 40! It's almost the price of a new game for one item that you may only use for one character. I get it. You need to make money in order to keep funding things, but 40 dollars? It's as nuts as promoting gambling for those mystery boxes where people keep spending money in hopes of finding that one item/collection of items that they want. There are so many things on sale plus plenty of people no doubt pay the subscription just to have access to everything without getting stuck somewhere. Tone down your prices. It's really ridiculous. Make the armors and weapons available in the cartel market - more than enough people would rather spend the money than the hours collecting in-game money just to hope they can afford it in the gm - just don't rip off your fans. :mad:

*shrug* that Lightsaber is a platinum item so it's only logical it's pricey. Heck it used to be around 8500, but that was really too steep so they toned it down to around 5000. But are you surprised? Those lightsabers that are priced that high are rare items, it's only fair their rareness is translated into their price. Edited by Ylliarus

Lol I wasn't around for that discussion. I pop up randomly to enjoy the game xD; but it was just something I noticed once I actually compared the prices. Like, I get that items are rare, I do, but so rare that they're almost the equivalent of a game? I just don't see how that should be the case.

They likely get most of their revenue from the CM. People used to buy a lot of the random boxes to get a rare item but then people complained about the random boxes. So, now there's random boxes and direct sale. If the amount of money coming in drops then SWTOR goes away so they have to balance how much they charge for direct sales vs. how many random boxes they would have sold.

Also if all someone wants is that one rare item is it better to drop $100 on the random boxes or $40 on the one item they actually wanted? Yes, people did that. People with more disposable income than I have but *shrug* their money.

They could tone it down a bit, I agree. Like the decorations, they've added. Over 500 coins, like 575 is a bit much. For 240, 350, yes, but 575 is a bit steep for some of that stuff.

I will agree on decorations. They're not comparable to gear. A lightsaber you buy once, pay the account unlock fee once and you can have an infinite number on that account - the entire account, not just that server. Decos on the other hand you buy once and that's all you get and you may need dozens for one stronghold on one server.

If they were in Collections with a one time unlock fee, I wouldn't agree.

They could tone it down a bit, I agree. Like the decorations, they've added. Over 500 coins, like 575 is a bit much. For 240, 350, yes, but 575 is a bit steep for some of that stuff.

I completely agree! There's some really neat stuff, but over 500 CCs is a bit much! Its not even anything I can use like a weapon or armor. It just sits in my Stronghold doing absolutely nothing. And you can't make copies of it, which totally sucks. But I'm sure there's plenty of people out there just dumping CC into the market buying those overpriced decos...... Harumph!

Edited by AlainaFlute

The only way I'm paying 575 each for a bunch of decors is if they're added to Unlocks. I got excited when I saw there were so many pages of Decors but when I saw that price I just had to laugh. $100+ for 30 decors most people will never even see? No thanks. And have fun if you want multiples of any of it.

5000cc is a bit expensive for a weapon as it's limited to one kind of character.

Nonethless , CM being more about directly buying stuff , than buying lootboxes is a good thing we shall celebrate. Sadly the "all stuff accessible" isn't forever.

Considering the ridiculous prices of unlocks, I think the items on the CM could use a price reduction- especially for items like decorations, which don't have an unlock function at all. I really don't think any decoration should be more than 200 CCs, unless it's a highly prized centerpiece or lore-related relic of some sort.

Even besides, the astronomical prices of these items aren't doing the already broken in-game economy any favours.

• 3 weeks later...
So normally I wouldn't really bother with this, but I saw an item in the cartel market, a lightsaber, worth around 5,000 or so cartel coins. That is around 40 dollars. 40! It's almost the price of a new game for one item that you may only use for one character. I get it. You need to make money in order to keep funding things, but 40 dollars? It's as nuts as promoting gambling for those mystery boxes where people keep spending money in hopes of finding that one item/collection of items that they want. There are so many things on sale plus plenty of people no doubt pay the subscription just to have access to everything without getting stuck somewhere. Tone down your prices. It's really ridiculous. Make the armors and weapons available in the cartel market - more than enough people would rather spend the money than the hours collecting in-game money just to hope they can afford it in the gm - just don't rip off your fans. :mad:

I 100% agree, you can't justify or convince me that $40.00 of real money equals a lightsaber in game, the most expensive mount is not even 4,000 cc. It's naive to do so, either lower the cost of cc. or lower the Cartel Market's items.

I must say, the current state of the CM is saving me a lot of money. The only things I've found worth the price are the deco packs.

My old spending habit was buying one or two of the newest crates and collecting most of what I didn't get through the GTN. Then when the semi-annual unlock sale rolled around I'd unlock just about everything so my alt army is pimped out.

But the Ultimate hypercrates have such a dismal drop rate for new items, they just aren't worth it to me. The direct sale prices on the CM are higher than I'm willing to pay, so I don't. But hardly anyone is reselling those items on the GTN, and when they do they are very pricey there too, so I"m not buying them there either. So not only did my hypercrate purchases end, I will have far fewer items to unlock come November.

The daily 50% off item has been nice, but so far I've only picked up one item because I already have everything else that came up except a couple of items that were still priced above what I'm willing to pay.

I wonder how they figure out where the balance is.

Sell a few very expensive items, or sell a high volume of cheaper items.

I know it's an issue for real world stores, too.

I imagine they pour through their data fairly carefully.

Personally, I'd spend more overall if I could get a lot of items for less money.

I'm more susceptible to being "nickled and dimed to death".

I never quite pull the trigger on big ticket items.

I think I spend the most money when Legacy unlocks are 50% off and would spend a lot more if everything in the Collections list went on sale, as my CM companions never do.

These Ultimate packs are just too darned random. They said that the more you open, the better your chances of getting a rare item. I fell for that and opened two hypercrates. The odds did not seem to improve along the way. That really put me off of buying any more packs -- to the point I wondered if it was legitimately fraudulent advertising. I haven't bought any since.

There are a few things I would spend serious money on...

* Guild ship expansions.

* Interactive stronghold decorations.

* Remove cap on strongholds and allow duplicate strongholds.

* Ability to designate one SH that says open/available for visitors even when I'm offline.

* Legacy mount unlock and speed upgrades.

Edited by Xina_LA

I wonder how they figure out where the balance is.

Sell a few very expensive items, or sell a high volume of cheaper items.

I know it's an issue for real world stores, too.

I imagine they pour through their data fairly carefully.

Having followed their move into direct sales, when looking at older but high-in-demand items... they clearly are setting prices based on a analysis of CC-2-Credits average exchange rates via GTN sales + fair market pricing averages for the items on the GTNs. And this gives them the basic mechanics for pricing brand new direct items sales as well.

People always grumble about CM prices it seems.. but in reality.. the studio has been pretty consistent in pricing of direct sale items over time. And you know what.. when they get it wrong for some reason and do not get the pace of sales they expected ----> they go back and reassess and re-price or offer at a discounted sale price.

When someone declares a price on the CM to be ridiculous.. what they are really saying is they want the item but are not willing to buy at the price offered. It's really that simple. Personally, I never spend CCs in the CM.. I save them for unlocks (when they are on sale) and other things that can only be done with CCs. I buy all my CM items (and I have every single one I ever wanted) from other players selling them for credits in game. Since I know the prevailing fair market prices for most items.. I wait out the price scalpers until prices settle down to a stable range.

Edited by Andryah

My friends and I talked about it. The one thing that we agreed on -- we wish there were more Event and Life Day and other "holiday" missions that allowed people to unlock pets, emotes, toys, Chance Cubes, and even Cartel Coins. If it felt like there was more opportunity to work and earn the things that others can buy, we'd be happier.

I know there are quite a few Achievements that do this. It would really help if there was a way to filter or list Achievements that grant some sort of tangible reward. That would make them easier to pursue and less obscure.

Perhaps people would feel things weren't so expensive if they could more easily combine CC they earned with CC they bought.

Edited by Xina_LA

575 cc for one deco is expensive considering that I'm getting 600 cc per month.

I mean, they are upping the prices of things but the amount of sub CC is the same.

It feels like everything went from okish prices to "give us your wallet" while providing zero content.

Don't get me wrong but 2 or 3 FPS for almost a year isnt any content because some other games provide much more for far less.