Should they buff Madness?

BraverDre

I disagree about ramp up on damage below 30%. I've been around since before that passive was added. Back then one of the top requests was to give sages an execute. Players wanted a skill like Spinning Strike or Dispatch, but what they got was damage boost on dots.

There was a tradeoff though. The overall damage of dots stayed the same, so to compensate for damage buff below 30% the dots dealt less damage than they used to above 30%.

If you keep that tradeoff in mind, it's easier to see why the passive is bad. It's especially obvious in pvp. Targets spend very little time below 30%. Healers naturally target those to keep them alive. Abilities like Enure, Adrenaline Rush, Focused Defense are used at around that health percentage. A burst execute might help in those situations, but dot pressure won't.

Furthermore, if you see a target low on hp you don't want to use dots. You want to use frontloaded damage to kill them asap. If you use dots, much of their damage will be wasted if the target dies.

That last fact also carries over to pve. Both world pve and raid boss adds will often die before dots fully tick, so it's not worh using them.

Best use is usually on raid bosses in burn phases. I would argue that often pushing to burn phase is as demanding as the burn phase itself. Also, with many bosses "dying" at 10% the executes' effect is diminished (not only sage/sorc suffers from this). In Gods from the Machine operation some adds have to be pushed to 50% or 40% so executes also don't help at all. So as far as I'm concerned, I would prefer the execute talent be replaced by something else and to redistribute the damage buff to the overall damage of the dots. If anything, execute should be on Force Serenity, but looking at the history of dev changes and their class philosophy it doesn't look like we can expect any changes in this department anyway.

• 2 months later...