WoW is Microsoft and SWTOR is Apple

Meldwyn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This kinda hit me this morning as I contemplated the comparisons that we so often see on these forums to WoW and SW. Here's my take in a general sense (pure opinion) based upon the early days of both companies and their philosophies (Microsoft and Apple)!

Like Microsoft's operating system, WoW is very open for external development for addons, macros, etc... Thus, WoW is extremely popular because so many people can personally contribute to its success and its ease of use/play.

Like Apple's operating system, SW is very closed to outside development. Thus there are no addons, no macro support, no customization of any kind, without BW's implementation of it. So BW creates the environment/player experience and you decide whether you like it or not.

Both philosophies are valid and both can and do work in the real world. But, as a result (if these philosophies continue)...

WoW will always be the most popular MMO of all time and will continue to have a very large player base as long as they keep it open to others to help develop the experience.

SW will have a big following and people will love it for what it is, but it will be more niche (big niche, mind you) and will never fully envelop the MMO market. Additionally, I don't ever see BW opening its engine up to outside development for addons and such because they want to maintain the "integrity" of the game and to control the player experience (philosophy).

Can both survive in this space... Absolutely! Will SW kill WoW, definitely not! Will WoW kill SW, NO! Both can and will coexist, but for different reasons and will cater to different crowds (eventually). They share the same game "space" but with different philosophies and a different player experience. Additionally, strong feelings on both sides of the fence will create a WoW and SW "fanboy" schism in the genre, it has already reared its ugly head (just like Microsoft and Apple).

Personal experience...

I don't play WoW anymore, but I don't know if I will play SW for years either. Not because I don't like SW (I do), its more because I tend to "finish" games in my mind and want to move on. I couldn't make the transition to Cata in WoW very well, cause it was so "same o, same o". Once I finish a story line or two in SW, it will probably be "finished" for me too.

TL;DR = Title says it all... :)

No, apple looks good. ;)