Sorc changes for 5.9.2?

TrixxieTriss

Ling is not a single target burst spec, you are an aoe pressure spec with a ton of utility.

I agree with this, even as a novice my survivability on lightning spec was extremely noticeable.

I just have trouble viewing any class on this game as a "utility" spec, and that's exactly what it is. The problem is, it's not marketed as that... I feel like it just happened to be pushed into this niche due to poor development of it's abilities.

I really doubt the devs thought when they began with the present iteration of the class that it would be a heavy support/utility class.

But this makes me think really, I mean if the player has this in mind maybe the class could be found to be fun if played for it's strengths instead of trying to make it do what it simply can't do, which is high burst damage.

I am going to roll my ling back out and check out my utilities and maybe mess around on it, play it more as a support class because maybe it could be a bit fun like that. Instead of trying to milk it for all damage, try to do more offhealing and group support stuffs, maybe it would be fun that way.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this, even as a novice my survivability on lightning spec was extremely noticeable.

I just have trouble viewing any class on this game as a "utility" spec, and that's exactly what it is. The problem is, it's not marketed as that... I feel like it just happened to be pushed into this niche due to poor development of it's abilities.

I really doubt the devs thought when they began with the present iteration of the class that it would be a heavy support/utility class.

But this makes me think really, I mean if the player has this in mind maybe the class could be found to be fun if played for it's strengths instead of trying to make it do what it simply can't do, which is high burst damage.

I am going to roll my ling back out and check out my utilities and maybe mess around on it, play it more as a support class because maybe it could be a bit fun like that. Instead of trying to milk it for all damage, try to do more offhealing and group support stuffs, maybe it would be fun that way.

every support ability a "ling" (dumb name) can do, a dot sorc can do and more. the only exception is it doesnt have an aoe slow/root... however creeping terror roots 1.5 seconds longer. and your aoe/cleave is better on dot.

every support ability a "ling" (dumb name) can do, a dot sorc can do and more. the only exception is it doesnt have an aoe slow/root... however creeping terror roots 1.5 seconds longer. and your aoe/cleave is better on dot.

Ling pairs really well with glass cannon specs, such as rage jugg or AP PT due to it's ability to "tank" damage and swap between cleaving and single target burst, you can often kill someone in a carb/polarity shift window.

Madness does more damage but it is much easier to pressure and it's damage is easier to heal through.

Lightning has only fallen into a utility spec, because it’s burst was nerfed.

Lightning only has 2 AOE abilities. Saying it’s AOE pressure is the same as saying a Rage Jugg or an Arsenal Merc (which has 4 AOEs) is AOE pressure.

Lightning is burst, first and foremost. Lightning storm is no different to spamming Merc sweeping blasters. I would even go as far as saying sweeping blasters is more affective

Anyone who thinks lighting is an AOE pressure spec needs a reality check.

The arm chair generals who don’t even play a spec, always amaze me when they try to come off as experts.

I’ve played both Lightning (fav) and Madness for 6 years. Sorcs had been my main until Lightning became utterly useless after 5.x. I do know the difference between both specs and I can categorically tell you that Lightning is burst and madness is AOE pressure.

Chain Lightning [CL]– Delivers an arc of lightning that deals X-X damage to up to 8 targets within 8 meters of the primary target.

Range: 35m, Activation: 2.5s, Force: 45, Cooldown: 6s (yep, that must be pressure every 6 secs :rolleyes)

Force Storm – Calls down a Force Storm over the target area, consuming 60 Force and dealing X energy damage to up to 8 targets within 8 meters over the duration of the channel. Standard and weak targets have a 33% chance to be stunned by the storm each second. (This does not affect other players because they aren’t considered standard targets. Maybe if it did, then you could argue it’s AOE pressure).

Honestly, if you stand in FS, your an idiot as far as I’m concerned. It’s 8 meters and even my Rage Jugg can mostly stay out of it and do plenty of damage. Plus it is weak and easy to mitigate against.

But if you don’t want to believe me, have a read of this guide on Dulfy and make up your own minds.

http://dulfy.net/2016/12/26/swtor-5-0-lightning-sorcerer-pve-guide-by-sion/

Better yet, go play the spec properly and don’t be a noob and spam FS everywhere. The spec is not designed to be played like that and if that’s what you are doing, you need to L2P

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Sorry Lhance, but would you feel that way if your main class got nerfed into the ground? Would you still be having fun if you could no longer kill anything and all you could do was run around annoying people by being hard to kill. I can play the class to it’s current strengths and I can tell you, that’s pretty much all you can do and it’s not fun.

Sorcs are supposed to be bad arses that wreck havoc with their force Lightning abilities, not tap you on the shoulder and ask what sort of coffee you’d like.

We use to have burst until Bioware incorrectly nerfed it instead of fixing the real culprit, which was Force Storm. Before that, we could kill stuff. Lightning needs a Buff, it’s undeniable to any Lightning players and anyone else who understands the spec.

Next time your class becomes useless. Maybe you can test out your own advice before you come here and beg for buffs like Lightning Sorcs have for 2 YEARS ;)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I'm sorry you're wrong Trixxie. Lighting, as it plays right now, is mainly aoe pressure, Idc what it was designed to play like, it plays as though it's aoe spec and the fact that even if it did play as a burst spec, it's aoe rotation breaks cc so it would be pretty useless as a burst hardswap team, but I suppose if you only do regs that doesn't matter. Also if it does get a dps buff, it will need a nerf on it's passive DR as they are tanky as hell right now. Edited by DiavoIa

Sorry Lhance, but would you feel that way if your main class got nerfed into the ground? Would you still be having fun if you could no longer kill anything and all you could do was run around annoying people by being hard to kill. I can play the class to it’s current strengths and I can tell you, that’s pretty much all you can do and it’s not fun.

Sorcs are supposed to be bad arses that wreck havoc with their force Lightning abilities, not tap you on the shoulder and ask what sort of coffee you’d like.

We use to have burst until Bioware incorrectly nerfed it instead of fixing the real culprit, which was Force Storm. Before that, we could kill stuff. Lightning needs a Buff, it’s undeniable to any Lightning players and anyone else who understands the spec.

Next time your class becomes useless. Maybe you can test out your own advice before you come here and beg for buffs like Lightning Sorcs have for 2 YEARS ;)

Yellow Chicken on DM is playing ranked as a lightning spec, and he is doing quite fine. That is not to say the spec is good (only jugg and pt are worse) but in regs I would think it would be perfectly viable?

Yellow Chicken on DM is playing ranked as a lightning spec, and he is doing quite fine. That is not to say the spec is good (only jugg and pt are worse) but in regs I would think it would be perfectly viable?

You can’t base a class off one person who is obviously a class god. That’s like saying Mercs aren’t OP because people die when they play one,

I’ve seen the worst classes look completely OP in the hands of top 5% players. That doesn’t mean they should be nerfed :rolleyes:

Like I said... arm chair general because you don’t actually play the class. Nothing snide or insulting if it’s true.

Also, please tell me which buffs Lightning Sorcs got? Which recent buffs are you talking about? To my knowledge, Lightning Sorcs have not had a buff in 2 years. But we have had a nerf to out self heals.

Now if I’m wrong, I’ll apologise, but I’m 99.99% sure they’ve had no buffs in the last 9 months.

I don’t know what you consider recent ???

You really shouldn’t be attacking me when you do t even know :rolleyes:

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/05032018/game-update-5.9-nathema-conspiracy

Edited by LordTurin

Well there you go. Something I didn’t see. Thank you for linking it. I apologise for being wrong about the buff.

It still doesn’t mean that Sorcs don’t need a dps buff. Honeslty I wish they’d strip out 10% survivability and add a 10% dps buff

Why they even thought we needed another defensive buff is beyond me. It certainly isn’t needed.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Well there you go. Something I didn’t see. Thank you for linking it. I apologise for being wrong about the buff.

It still doesn’t mean that Sorcs don’t need a dps buff. Honeslty I wish they’d strip out 10% survivability and add a 10% dps buff

Why they even thought we needed another defensive buff is beyond me. It certainly isn’t needed.

... so you agree with the arm-chair general then?

Also, yeah, no way is sorc getting a 10% dmg buff, that would put them above almost every spec's sustained dmg. Maybe a 10% boost to burst window somehow, but not just a flat 10% dmg buff, that would make lightning absurdly OP in everything including pvp.

Also, yeah, no way is sorc getting a 10% dmg buff, that would put them above almost every spec's sustained dmg. Maybe a 10% boost to burst window somehow, but not just a flat 10% dmg buff, that would make lightning absurdly OP in everything including pvp.

I think he said 10% crit bonus, which means only their crits would go up... and since its currently 5%, its a vaible concern.

Crit bonus on Lightning sorc to 15% :)
Edited by Seterade

No, I don’t agree with him at all. I said I apologised for being wrong about buffs being added. That is the only thing.

I agree, Sorcs shouldn’t get a total 10% damage buff. I was only saying I would trade 10% survivability for 10% damage increase just to demonstrate that I’d prefer to lose survivability in favour of damage.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Maybe you should play the class and then come back to the forums as a player and not a statistician.

You don't even know the buffs for a class you've played for over 6 years that happened two patches ago, you've already discredited yourself as a ling subject matter expert. BTW I am looking at my ling sorc right now :p:p

No, I don’t agree with him at all. I said I apologised for being wrong about buffs being added. That is the only thing.

I agree, Sorcs shouldn’t get a total 10% damage buff. I was only saying I would trade 10% survivability for 10% damage increase just to demonstrate that I’d prefer to lose survivability in favour of damage.

If they are to get a burst buff, they will have to have a nerf to either their aoe (no we're not talking about FS) or revert the DR buff back to where it was, or both. I'm happy for ling sorcs to have a small buff in dmg, but if we're talking marksman hitting abilities, or rage jugg hitting abilities, then the 15% lightening strike dr has to be adjusted in accordance with it.

I’d prefer to lose survivability in favour of damage.

No agreement at all huh...

if it does get a dps buff, it will need a nerf on it's passive DR as they are tanky as hell right now.

agree 100%

if your going to buff dps, you should sacrifice dcd/dr. most classes in swtor are in theory designed to compensate dps for dcd. but the thing is, any class that doesnt have an ability that can withstand 4 people for X amount of time, dies in pvp. you need that "no damage" dcd or you are cannon fodder.

if you choose to "rework" something, you must take to receive, or you break balance. *cough mercs*

another excellent example of this, is if dps pt ever gets an antifocus dcd their dps will require a nerf. right now their class design is to outshine all other....... in group enviroment. (ie, with gaurd and hls)

Sorry Lhance, but would you feel that way if your main class got nerfed into the ground?

Would you still be having fun if you could no longer kill anything and all you could do was run around annoying people by being hard to kill.

I can play the class to it’s current strengths and I can tell you, that’s pretty much all you can do and it’s not fun.

I never said the class is performing as it ought to, and it's in a great place.

I am just being realistic and pointing out that maybe with a different frame of mind and a different play-style perhaps some fun can be had on the lightning spec.

If you read any of my past posts on the class, I say it clearly is underwhelming regarding it's burst and I find it the easiest class to shrug off when I play heals. It adds weak single target pressure for sure.

I actually am planning to test out my own advice btw, going to play the class like a facilitator/utility class with dps instead of putting all my focus on it's dps. Maybe I can learn something by playing the class in it's present form.