Level 40 'twink' problem in lowbie queues

Starleash

Hi,

I would like to bring to your attention something that's been happening for a while now. A few questionable people have been leveling up to 40 and then queuing in lowbie warzones. This is fine, but they leave the match just before it is over so they don't get any experience, hence they stay level 40 forever. This is ruining the experience for the rest. However I have a solution. Just grant a tiny amount of experience every time a player earns a medal.

Here's what I propose: Below 70 players gain experience regardless of whether their team won or lost a warzone, although winning team gets more experience.

-Let's assume each player in the losing team gets 'A' amount of experience at the end of a match

-Let's assume each player in the winning team gets 'A+B' amount of experience

-You can divide A into 8 parts and grant players (A÷8) amount each time they earn a medal

-If a player earns at least 8 medals then they get full amount of A, but still have to work towards B

-If a player fails to get 8 medals before the match is over, they can be awarded the remaining at the end.

-If the team wins, then the B amount of experience can also be awarded at the end.

What is the incentive for completing the match then, you ask? Don't award the valor points or the credits till the match is completed. This way, everyone continues to gain some amount of experience JUST for participating.

I hope you can understand our frustration of facing premades made of level 40 twinks in lowbie warzones. Thank you.

Edited by Starleash

Hi,

I would like to bring to your attention something that's been happening for a while now. A few questionable people have been leveling up to 40 and then queuing in lowbie warzones. This is fine, but they leave the match just before it is over so they don't get any experience, hence they stay level 40 forever. This is ruining the experience for the rest. However I have a solution. Just grant a tiny amount of experience every time a player earns a medal.

Here's what I propose: Below 70 players gain experience regardless of whether their team won or lost a warzone, although winning team gets more experience.

-Let's assume each player in the losing team gets 'A' amount of experience at the end of a match

-Let's assume each player in the winning team gets 'A+B' amount of experience

-You can divide A into 8 parts and grant players (A÷8) amount each time they earn a medal

-If a player earns at least 8 medals then they get full amount of A, but still have to work towards B

-If a player fails to get 8 medals before the match is over, they can be awarded the remaining at the end.

-If the team wins, then the B amount of experience can also be awarded at the end.

What is the incentive for completing the match then, you ask? Don't award the valor points or the credits till the match is completed. This way, everyone continues to gain some amount of experience JUST for participating.

I hope you can understand our frustration of facing premades made of level 40 twinks in lowbie warzones. Thank you.

How long is a while? And how many people are actually doing this? I (full disclosure) don't play lowbies or midbies at all really, but this seems like the kind of thing someone does for a couple days and then gets bored, or accidentally completes a quest or something. I mean, I don't have an issue with getting exp in the actual match, but I'm a little skeptical that this is a big enough problem to warrant dev attention given limited dev resources atm (again, don't play lowbies, hence my starter questions. If this has been going on for months 24/7 with dozens or hundreds of folks doing it, needs to be fixed. That one random dude who logs in on Saturday from 7-745pm who does it is probably not worth it though. Just add him on your friends list, and don't queue when he is logged in).

How long is a while? And how many people are actually doing this? I (full disclosure) don't play lowbies or midbies at all really, but this seems like the kind of thing someone does for a couple days and then gets bored, or accidentally completes a quest or something. I mean, I don't have an issue with getting exp in the actual match, but I'm a little skeptical that this is a big enough problem to warrant dev attention given limited dev resources atm (again, don't play lowbies, hence my starter questions. If this has been going on for months 24/7 with dozens or hundreds of folks doing it, needs to be fixed. That one random dude who logs in on Saturday from 7-745pm who does it is probably not worth it though. Just add him on your friends list, and don't queue when he is logged in).

Heh, if hundreds of people did this then I wouldn't have had to make a thread. I honestly have no clue as to when this began but I see at least 2-3 people every single day I queue for lowbies. It has been this way since I returned to this game last year. I believe it's the same 10-20 people everytime on different alts but I would recommend implementing this fix before the cross server warzone patch. Otherwise it will become an even bigger problem.

This has been happening for years. But it currently has a bigger impact because lowbies doesn’t pop much and people can’t lvl up to 40 quickly in pvp. These other people who leave right before the match ends so they dont lvl, do it to camp at lvl 40 and farm new people.

There aren’t many new people these days and they are driving those away that are trying pvp for the first time because they are in every match because of low population queuing for lowbie pvp.

I wouldn’t call this a twink problem. I would call this a troll problem. It could even be argued that they are exploiting the system because the game is not meant to be played that way

Another solution is to make people lvl once they do x amount of pvp matches at lvl 40. Even if they leave everymatch.

Or at lvl 40, every kill gives you more XP than they currently do. This means that lvl 40 players only spend a short amount of time in that bracket vs lower lvl players.

Realistically, those options don’t impinge on fair game play for those lvl 40 players because people playing the game as it’s meant to be played would welcome lvling a little faster. Even if they didn’t, it’s only one lvl out of 70. This idea should also apply to lvl 69s doing the same thing in Mids,

People who stay at lvl 40 and troll people probably fall under exploiter or harassment rules and Bioware should use the same measures to discourage it as they use for people exploiting or harassing people in other parts of the game.

As per Biowares own Rules of Conduct that are listed on this website.

Harassment Policy

Our goal is to build a strong community that offers a comfortable atmosphere for all of our players. This means seeing that players have the ability to combat antisocial behavior

<snipe>

Harassment consists of misuse and/or abuse of game mechanics

General Rules

<snip>

Do anything that interferes with the ability of other Service users to enjoy playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I have to ask, what is a twink?

An alt that gets supported by the main (gear, money, consumables), and mainly exists for the fun of playing with/against other players while having resources the others don't have at this level.

There are also those that simply call their alts "twinks" and their mains "toons", to make sure everyone understands that they are serious gamers and not some fancy pants roleplayers.

Edited by Mubrak

On eq2 they made it so every kill gave XP, and they removed XP locking to eliminate twinks that were enjoying superior advantages over lesser geared/leveled players in low tier PVP.

I wish Charles/Eric would take notice of the issues revolving around lowbies/mids, but tbh I can't even be mad they are really tackling a lot of things at one time for PVP right now.

I wish lowbies/mids were better. I suspect it will be a while before many of the issues are addressed that plague PVP at the lower tiers.

I used to champion lowbies/mids, but I just don't have the energy anymore to worry on things that are not worried on by the majority of other players which is the case with lowbie/mids PVP.

Edited by Lhancelot

Why not add a toggle to turn on or off xp gains. So if someone wants to stay at 40 they can toggle it off and maybe they will participate more.

Or another option is to create PvP brackets where your only grouped with people such as 11-19, 20-29, 30-39, etc.

Why not add a toggle to turn on or off xp gains. So if someone wants to stay at 40 they can toggle it off and maybe they will participate more.

Or another option is to create PvP brackets where your only grouped with people such as 11-19, 20-29, 30-39, etc.

Because that allows those twinks to farm new people. It’s completely detrimental and goes against everything this thread was created for. I don’t think you actually understand what the OP or the rest of us have been saying.