Jagged graphics, and lag...

Noxaquilas

Okay, so I can play most games on high, ultra, etc no problem, but this one gives me stutters, lag, etc. Not sure why. I have graphics turned down to high right now. Doesn't seem to matter what settings I go with though, down to disabling antialiasing, and dropping shadow value, as well as reducing interface size. I am running:

Asus M5A78L-M LX

AMD FX 8120 Black

1tb 7200 HDD(500gb free)

8gb Kingston GD3(?) ram

AMD Radeon R9 270 OC

EVGA 600w PSU

Internet: 127.8/11.59 16ms

Okay, so I can play most games on high, ultra, etc no problem, but this one gives me stutters, lag, etc. Not sure why. I have graphics turned down to high right now. Doesn't seem to matter what settings I go with though, down to disabling antialiasing, and dropping shadow value, as well as reducing interface size. I am running:

Asus M5A78L-M LX

AMD FX 8120 Black

1tb 7200 HDD(500gb free)

8gb Kingston GD3(?) ram

AMD Radeon R9 270 OC

EVGA 600w PSU

Internet: 127.8/11.59 16ms

Hey, I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news but swtors game engine is more CPU reliant than graphics card and really hates the older AMD CPUs.

I believe the new AMD CPUs are fine, it’s just the older ones.

The rest of your system looks fine, but I still wouldn’t have the graphics up high even if you had an Intel CPU.

As an example, I’ve got : And I don’t run mine at max.

i7 5770k

16gb Ram

Samsung Pro SSD

GTX 1080

The biggest problems are shadows and bloom. I would suggest turning everything off, especially those and see if that helps. Then slowly turn things on till you find a balance between performance and quality.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The first thing you could do would be to "clear CMOS" or "reset BIOS" or enter your BIOS and "Load Defaults" in order to make sure your system is running within spec (the CPU isn't underclocked or whatever...).

- but .....

SWTOR (like most MMOs) is very CPU intensive. Your main problem is your CPU - the FX series never was very good and they're particularly bad in CPU bound games.

It's time for an upgrade.

My recommendation is to get either a new 8th gen Intel i5/i7 or a Ryzen R5/R7 (depending upon budget, etc).

This would also involve a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM.

The R9 270, though a low-end card, will of course give you some level of graphics goodness. You might find that, if you upgrade your CPU, the R9 270 may become more of a limiting factor (but you can always lower the graphics settings).

Edited by JediQuaker

SWTOR (like most MMOs) is very CPU intensive. Your main problem is your CPU - the FX series never was very good and they're particularly bad in CPU bound games.

I guess I'm incredibly lucky. Running an FX-6300 and I have the game on max, only stutters frequently on Belsavis and slightly on Yavin. Granted I prefer to have my framerate locked at 30 so that might be why. But for the most part it does it's job just fine. Though I will have to agree, there are far better CPU's on the market and they are a better value than this.

I guess I'm incredibly lucky. Running an FX-6300 and I have the game on max, only stutters frequently on Belsavis and slightly on Yavin. Granted I prefer to have my framerate locked at 30 so that might be why. But for the most part it does it's job just fine. Though I will have to agree, there are far better CPU's on the market and they are a better value than this.

My frame rate is 130-200fps. I wouldn’t play the game if it was locked at 30.

I can't speak for Radeon cards, never owned one, but I'm doing fine on an nvidia GTX 680 which is definitely an older card. 55 FPS with max settings minutes enhanced shadows (ambient occlusion).

You'll find that your fps (in SWTOR) is mainly limited by your CPU, not your GPU. You might find that your fps is around 56 even with the graphics turned down to minimum (depending upon what CPU you have).

Edited by JediQuaker

• 1 month later...
Any change in fullscreen (window) mode ?

I've tried on windowed, windowed full, and full. It's the same no matter what. The odd thing is that it used to work just fine for me on high settings, but now it doesn't(coming back after at least a year away). It's driving me batty, and I can't decide if I wanna take my pc out to a field for target practice, or say screw the game. lol

I've tried on windowed, windowed full, and full. It's the same no matter what. The odd thing is that it used to work just fine for me on high settings, but now it doesn't(coming back after at least a year away). It's driving me batty, and I can't decide if I wanna take my pc out to a field for target practice, or say screw the game. lol

There were graphics updates done to the engine.

What happens when you turn them all to low settings?