New pvp cheater (developer bug). Something wrong with players who's name with symbols

-Esper-

A day ago I saw new cheater (at Warzone) with name Lololololololololol. But every "o" in his name was with a line or a dash on top. I made a screenshot for this case too. He was be able to enter warzone before the beginning and he grabbed the dots of control and also was possible to attack another players through the wall or obstacle. The same situation was with player OOO, every O were with some kind of dash on the top of this letter.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VhHQ_uHEFhl4RI7oNekrh9fxmt-OY-sv/view

Should they have even allowed altcodes in names? It makes reporting people a lot harder.

They have to in MMOs. There are so many names taken that it often becomes difficult to name newer characters without them. The problem isn't with alt codes being allowed in SWTOR, it is with the game struggling to recognize them even though the alt codes are allowed. Something wasn't coded right.

It isn't just reporting, either. If you try to send a tell to a guild mate from the guild window, and that guild mate has alt codes, you get an error, even though the system accepted that name at character creation and even though the name is displaying correctly in the guild window.

What should happen is that with a future update, errors with alt codes that have been around since 2012 will be patched out. Bioware should also implement more frequent name purging for inactive characters so people need to rely on alt codes less when creating new characters. A character that is inactive for more than one year on an unsubscribed account should lose that name.

(I expect neither of those two things to happen, by the way...)

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

It isn't just reporting, either. If you try to send a tell to a guild mate from the guild window, and that guild mate has alt codes, you get an error, even though the system accepted that name at character creation and even though the name is displaying correctly in the guild window.

This is because the game does not actually support unicode characters, but it tries to copy the name into chat as unicode characters. Notice that when this happens, you will see something like 'Som██'s Name' in chat. This is because the game pastes a unicode glyph, which is two bytes long, but the game tries to interpret it as extended ASCII, which is 1 byte long, so it places two non-printable characters instead.

As for reporting - click their name in chat (if you are grouped with them), or if you can target them, use the whisper command from there. And then copy-paste into the ticket. Also could look up an ASCII chart, or just mention "Lots of consecutive lololols with ASCII in it" and anyone who actually cares will be able to look that up.

Should they have even allowed altcodes in names? It makes reporting people a lot harder.

Having Alt codes is the only way lots of us can have the names we want or still have after a merge. After multiple mergers and loss of normally spelled names, the only way you can keep them is to use Alt codes.

If Bioware just did what other games do and link the name to the legacy so people can see who it is, then we wouldn’t need Alt codes.

Also, they have some really stupid naming restrictions that should be reviewed, ie, you can’t use the word princess and many others I wouldn’t be able to have if I we didn’t have Alt codes.

I’ve never had such stupid restrictions in other games for so many mundane and non propriety names.

I can understand them not wanting the in game titles or names used, but ones that have nothing to do with the game should be allowed.

The dumbest thing is they do allow names that are derogatory, inflammatory, trollish or obscene (when one letter is replaced or out of order). Over the years I’ve seen names like, ihack, yousuc, madcuzbad... I’m not going to post the really obscene ones because I’m sure we’ve all seen them.

If you are having problems reporting someone, right click the name or copy and paste it and then report.

I do know that sometimes that isn’t possible because theyve not used chat or they aren’t on your faction, but you can still right click and report and then refer CS to that report number. I’ve done this many times successfully. Alternatively, if you want to make it easier, say something in chat to get them to respond and then copy paste the name,

Edited by TrixxieTriss

They have to in MMOs. There are so many names taken that it often becomes difficult to name newer characters without them. The problem isn't with alt codes being allowed in SWTOR, it is with the game struggling to recognize them even though the alt codes are allowed. Something wasn't coded right.

What should happen is that with a future update, errors with alt codes that have been around since 2012 will be patched out. Bioware should also implement more frequent name purging for inactive characters so people need to rely on alt codes less when creating new characters. A character that is inactive for more than one year on an unsubscribed account should lose that name.

(I expect neither of those two things to happen, by the way...)

Copy paste your guildies name and /whisper before it and it works fine.

This is because the game does not actually support unicode characters, but it tries to copy the name into chat as unicode characters. Notice that when this happens, you will see something like 'Som██'s Name' in chat. This is because the game pastes a unicode glyph, which is two bytes long, but the game tries to interpret it as extended ASCII, which is 1 byte long, so it places two non-printable characters instead.

As for reporting - click their name in chat (if you are grouped with them), or if you can target them, use the whisper command from there. And then copy-paste into the ticket. Also could look up an ASCII chart, or just mention "Lots of consecutive lololols with ASCII in it" and anyone who actually cares will be able to look that up.

Exactly this ^^^

This is also a good reference link if you need to reference them https://www.alt-codes.net