The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Poll! The Last Jedi.

http://www.strawpoll.me/15612711

The purpose of this poll, is to gauge the True Star Wars Fans reaction of The Last Jedi.

Please answer this poll based on what YOU feel, this is a completely subjective question, ment to gauge how the Star Wars Community feels about the film.

Please do not share this poll with non-Star Wars sites to avoid data contamination.

"True Star Wars fans"?? :rolleyes:

So you think it's a "Us vs. Them" thing huh?

Your poll and your argument is already invalid.

Oh goodie. The new true Scotsman attack. Been a while since I've seen one of those troll attempts.

The salt is real.

http://www.strawpoll.me/15612711

The purpose of this poll, is to gauge the True Star Wars Fans reaction of The Last Jedi.

Please answer this poll based on what YOU feel, this is a completely subjective question, ment to gauge how the Star Wars Community feels about the film.

Please do not share this poll with non-Star Wars sites to avoid data contamination.

so... after selling hundreds of millions of movie tickets... you think a online poll with less then 100 votes is accurate.....

Sorry kid the fans have spoken and they love it. Hence the reason its the most profitable movie of 2017

so... after selling hundreds of millions of movie tickets... you think a online poll with less then 100 votes is accurate.....

Sorry kid the fans have spoken and they love it. Hence the reason its the most profitable movie of 2017

Poll currently has 89 votes, if we can get a sample size of a clean 100. That would be great, and make the math a whole lot easier.

I am polling other sites, they have their own dedicated poll, so we can detect and account for possible variables.

Poll currently has 89 votes, if we can get a sample size of a clean 100. That would be great, and make the math a whole lot easier.

I am polling other sites, they have their own dedicated poll, so we can detect and account for possible variables.

yes 100 is more then 89... however that's not even close to a reasonable sample size. The poll would still be completely meaningless... especially since i can just hop ips and vote multiple times.

For even a even basic level of accuracy you would need a sample size of at least 100,000 people.

Rotten tomatoes gave a 47% fan rating. Nuff said.

Rotten tomatoes gave a 47% fan rating. Nuff said.

and RT is full of people creating multilple accounts just to bring the score down. The fact that now 2 months after its been out of most theaters there are still 20+ new accounts made just to give it a 1 star rating.

IMDB fan rating is at 7.2 with almost double the votes Nuff said.

It's a trash poll that really says nothing about the quality of the movie in the first place. I was left disappointed after watching the movie as a fan of the story/lore and characters, with my personal emotional investment in it going in before-hand obviously weighing in a lot. There's a lot to be said about the strength or weakness of the script. But was it shot well cinematically? Beautifully, I thought in terms of the artistic and aesthetic sense. Does that make me like the movie, no, but liking or disliking a movie has little objective value in terms of it being 'made well'. It's a lot like music to me. You can tell if something's poorly written with little depth, but that doesn't mean it can't be catchy or have a certain appeal (or technically perfect progressive songs that carry little appeal..). It's too sensitive to subjectivity. That's what TLJ was like for me. I could see it was shot well, but I didn't like the story direction and decisions they went with. Edited by silenthc

and RT is full of people creating multilple accounts just to bring the score down. The fact that now 2 months after its been out of most theaters there are still 20+ new accounts made just to give it a 1 star rating.

IMDB fan rating is at 7.2 with almost double the votes Nuff said.

Actually that's the score after RT edited out all of that. Throw all that stuff in, score drops to 20%.

So nice try on deflection. And IMDB edits a lot heavier than RT. And most people I've talked to by and large did not like the movie much.

I'm going with " love it or hate it, movie broke the fan base".

Actually that's the score after RT edited out all of that. Throw all that stuff in, score drops to 20%.

So nice try on deflection. And IMDB edits a lot heavier than RT. And most people I've talked to by and large did not like the movie much.

I'm going with " love it or hate it, movie broke the fan base".

no it's not. They only removed 1/2 star reviews. Yes IMDB does moderate their reviews more. They don't accept reviews from the same IP addresses.

Oh cool are we allowed to use anadoctel evidence now? Because all the people i've talked to love it and i know more people then you.

If the movie really was at 42% hating it, then it never would have been the 2nd most succesful Star Wars movie of all time.

I do think a portion of the hard core fan base hates it but that;'s a small about maybe 1/3

Also way to avoid the fact that the angry fans are STILL writing negative reviews on RT 2 months after it's been out of theaters.

It didn't break the fanbase anymore then the Prequels did.

Edited by jarjarloves

For even a even basic level of accuracy you would need a sample size of at least 100,000 people.

So, even setting aside that there is a fundamental flaw with the idea of a poll of "True Star Wars Fans" (which is an eye-rollingly ridiculous concept to begin with), you are correct that there are serious methodological problems with a poll like this.

But "a sample size of 100,000"? That's . . . that's not how sampling works. A 3% margin of error (at 95% confidence level) for the population of the entire United States only takes a sample size of a little over 1,000.

So, even setting aside that there is a fundamental flaw with the idea of a poll of "True Star Wars Fans" (which is an eye-rollingly ridiculous concept to begin with), you are correct that there are serious methodological problems with a poll like this.

But "a sample size of 100,000"? That's . . . that's not how sampling works. A 3% margin of error (at 95% confidence level) for the population of the entire United States only takes a sample size of a little over 1,000.

except its the entire world and granted 100k is a bit much but way more then 1k given that Star Wars is world wide.

What are you comparing the people who buy tickets against? All the people who didn't buy tickets?

Most people need to buy a ticket in order to see it and form an opinion about it, but buying a ticket doesn't mean you liked it.

People often go see a movie more than once. Is buying multiple tickets a valid indicator of how much people love a movie but voting multiple times on a website not a valid indication of how much a person doesn't like it?

What are you comparing the people who buy tickets against? All the people who didn't buy tickets?

Most people need to buy a ticket in order to see it and form an opinion about it, but buying a ticket doesn't mean you liked it.

People often go see a movie more than once. Is buying multiple tickets a valid indicator of how much people love a movie but voting multiple times on a website not a valid indication of how much a person doesn't like it?

And survey says a whole lot less people went and saw it a second time.

In fact the hardcore fans are going to be the ones who see it multiple times. I saw TLJ 1 time in theatres and that was 1 time too many. And I have not bought the blue ray not will I.

Bad movie was bad and I will do a nice feature post on it later.

If anyone is voting multiple times on this poll, they are invalidating the purpose of this poll.

There's no doubt that a number of fans did not like TLJ, but the idea that it broke the fan base (particularly if anyone thinks it "broke" it any more than the Prequels did) seems like hyperbole to me.

A SXSW interview with Mark Hamill and Rian Johnson (which got bumped back to CNN's frontpage for May the Fourth) raised some good points about fan reactions to TLJ, and how the response to TESB would have looked if the internet had been a thing back in 1980.

LINK: https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/29/entertainment/star-wars-last-jedi-rian-johnson-mark-hamill/index.html

Hamill: We were so lucky there wasn't social media when "Empire Strikes Back" came out.

Johnson: Yeah, "Empire" would have gotten roasted. If you look at the criticism of "Last Jedi," can you imagine what they would have said about Luke just getting his *** handed to him by Vader? Oh my God.

Hamill: Right, the hand getting cut off, we lost and dad Vader.

[CNN:] Han gets turned into a coffee table.

Hamill: Yes, exactly. In those days you really had to take a lot of effort and sit down and say, "Dear Mr. Hamill, why did you turn Harrison Ford into a coffee table? This is not right." Now, it's wallop and send. It's so easy. Pure hatred can be delivered directly to your home in a nanosecond.

Johnson: But that's also the other side of the coin of what's great about "Star Wars" fans... Everyone is so passionate about it.

Sure enough, Sci-Fi magazine Starlog digitized its letter archive, and yup, we had a "mixed reaction" back then as well -- we just didn't have the internet to show the split off so prominently.

Edited by DarthDymond

If the movie really was at 42% hating it, then it never would have been the 2nd most succesful Star Wars movie of all time.

Adjusted for inflation The original Star Wars box office is around 1.6 billion. Making that more successful.