Lana and Risha romance conflict?

ARavingLooony

You get a breakup scene with Lana. No drama. I experienced it with my Warrior when Vette returned.

No drama yet.. it may still come.. probably should too !

Would love to see a little drama, snarky comments, jealousy etc.. all normal stuff... the swtor chars seem to be inhumane sometimes

Would love to see a little drama, snarky comments, jealousy etc.. all normal stuff... the swtor chars seem to be inhumane sometimes

Yeah, it seems a bit inhuman to me too.

Sometimes I feel like there's no way to make all fans happy. Some of us would love drama at times like this... and others would complain about how the former LI was being whiny, etc. Personally I would like to see a bit more of an emotional reaction, depending on the character (it wouldn't make sense for everyone). And if some people don't like it, so be it - I feel like those who don't like drama are getting their way all the time at the moment.

Sometimes I feel like there's no way to make all fans happy. Some of us would love drama at times like this... and others would complain about how the former LI was being whiny, etc. Personally I would like to see a bit more of an emotional reaction, depending on the character (it wouldn't make sense for everyone). And if some people don't like it, so be it - I feel like those who don't like drama are getting their way all the time at the moment.

Writers need to write for the characters not the fans. Write what fits the character always, any writer should know this. 🤔

There are characters people are supposed to have mixed feelings about, thats what makes for good, unboring chars.

Edited by Suzsi

Agreed! :)

You get a breakup scene with Lana. No drama. I experienced it with my Warrior when Vette returned.

this reminds me mass effect 1.

I want to see a cutscene like ashley/liara from mass effect 1, when shepard romances with both they come to shep and doing a small drama, like "choose me choose me!" lol, I choosed liara because ashley was pain in the neck. :)

Writers need to write for the characters not the fans. Write what fits the character always, any writer should know this. 🤔

There are characters people are supposed to have mixed feelings about, thats what makes for good, unboring chars.

I agree with this. I think that a good writer knows the need to respect the integrity of their characters. But there are competing concerns, and I can understand some writers being swayed by those.

When I think of all-time favourite Bioware characters, the ones that are near-universally aclaimed in the fandom, frankly some of them come across as sycophantic fans of everything the player character does and says. It seems like a lot of people want cheerleaders. And the writer may feel a temptation - a temptation I can understand - to simply "give people what they want." After all, this is entertainment, right? When the income generated by a game plays a large role in determining if that game will get any more content - any future writing - populism may seem very appealing indeed.

In fact, I think that what you said is true. The best characters, the ones that linger in our minds the longest, are the ones we didn't necessarily ever know we wanted. They have their own distinct points of view, backgrounds, and feelings. And I think the best writing lets that speak. But I wonder how often writers in games are allowed to present their best writing, and how often they are told to conform to ways of writing that, it is presumed, will just keep income going. Because the need for them to generate income is a real thing.

To me, a sort of balance between the two points of view is trying to give a bunch of different people what they want. It ticks at least some boxes of populism, while presenting a variety that has maybe a bit more life of its own, due to the differences. And we all like a bit of fanservice, right? But I can't help longing for that best writing, the stuff I never even would have known to ask for before some wonderful writer gave it to me.

Edited by Estelindis

Especially since Lana's a Sith. You'd think she'd go ape ****.

Edited by kodrac

Especially since Lana's a Sith. You'd think she'd go ape ****.

Actually, Lana's response to being dumped after an old LI returns strikes me as very true to her character. I think she's actually completely devastated but puts on a brave face as a defense, to try and protect at least some of her heart. I wouldn't be surprised if she raged or wept in private, while trying to seem strong and in control in front of the player character.

Actually, Lana's response to being dumped after an old LI returns strikes me as very true to her character. I think she's actually completely devastated but puts on a brave face as a defense, to try and protect at least some of her heart. I wouldn't be surprised if she raged or wept in private, while trying to seem strong and in control in front of the player character.

Agreed. During one of the chapters, she talks about using pain to fuel her power. But thankfully, she's also level-headed enough to know you're working for a greater good, so she doesn't try to kill you for dumping her.

That's not inhuman. Being in a relationship were you are not the only guy involved is not nice, but It can end without drama. I was the losing side of a certain triangle a lot of years ago. It does not need to become a soap opera. It can be solved by a simple "goodbye". It's not nice, but... There's no point in fighting from something you've already lost. And there's no point in making hard the life for someone you actually cared about.

Edited by Breech

That's not inhuman. Being in a relationship were you are not the only guy involved is not nice, but It can end without drama. I was the losing side of a certain triangle a lot of years ago. It does not need to become a soap opera. It can be solved by a simple "goodbye". It's not nice, but... There's no point in fighting from something you've already lost. And there's no point in making hard the life for someone you actually cared about.

That's one point of view, and for this reason I would expect some characters to react in a low-drama way, but it's not everyone's point of view. Some characters, with different personalities, I would expect to get upset.

As mentioned before.. it entirely depends on the characters.

Lana as mentioned would probably seeth quietly, in private especially at first... I think she would try to make you feel it later though. She is a Sith she could easily be bent on revenge at some point but who knows.. I am not her writer... she certainly has some very strong reactions to things at times -- like her comments in the emails about Theron for his betrayal.

Theron... he isn't one to hold back verbally, if he is displeased with something or someone he lets it know through snarky comments and such either to the person or to others nearby. Or he would go and do something really stupid that got himself in to trouble.. because thats Theron.. maybe not directly give the character a hard time but he would be hard on himself.

It has to fit the character. The problem is most of the time it doesn't fit the characters.

Edited by Suzsi

From the video I've seen of it, if you look closely she actually appears to be crying as she walks away. I think the breakup is pretty in character for her too; she's deeply hurt but she's not going to be vulnerable in front of the player character at that point.

From the video I've seen of it, if you look closely she actually appears to be crying as she walks away. I think the breakup is pretty in character for her too; she's deeply hurt but she's not going to be vulnerable in front of the player character at that point.

Yeah, I actually felt pretty bad for her. I only romanced her with my scumbag agent who went straight back to Kaliyo one chapter after locking in the romance with Lana. Lana generally approved of most of his actions (probably the only person who did), so I guess he had to find some other way to hurt her. All the actual nice characters I have are too nice to cheat on their class LIs with her, so she's otherwise out of luck.

It actually made the breakup scene even more poignant to me, that she'd visibly be trying to hide how upset she was at losing this disaster of a person. If she wanted to keep him, she must be pretty lonely. :(

Yeah, I actually felt pretty bad for her. I only romanced her with my scumbag agent who went straight back to Kaliyo one chapter after locking in the romance with Lana. Lana generally approved of most of his actions (probably the only person who did), so I guess he had to find some other way to hurt her. All the actual nice characters I have are too nice to cheat on their class LIs with her, so she's otherwise out of luck.

It actually made the breakup scene even more poignant to me, that she'd visibly be trying to hide how upset she was at losing this disaster of a person. If she wanted to keep him, she must be pretty lonely. :(

That email from her in the SoR arc where she says she has nobody to talk to really gets to me - she seems like someone who can interact with a lot of people but not get close to them, so I can see her being lonely and pretty crushed about a breakup.

My Sith lady romanced Lana in SoR and immediately went back to her in KOTFE, so that is solid, and she treats Lana like gold. :)

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

There is no drama because Lana knows you're married and your wife/husband might be still alive and searching for you. Besides, she is a grownup woman, not a high-school girl, she sees no need for tears,drama and such .

There is no drama because Lana knows you're married and your wife/husband might be still alive and searching for you. Besides, she is a grownup woman, not a high-school girl, she sees no need for tears,drama and such .

You know.. I am pretty sure even an adult can cry when they get their hearts broken. If you don't think that I feel sorry for you, and anyone you couple with.

Edited by Suzsi

The presentation of this is rather inconsistent. On the one hand, we can assume she knows you're married because she's supposedly looking for your crew and thus would know some pertinent facts to help her find them - plus she would've met them during the SoR plot. Then we have that daft scene where she "captures the assassins" Quinn and Dorne, who could be your trooper's wife or your warrior's husband. I mean, unless she was just being super passive-aggressive or something... :D

The presentation of this is rather inconsistent. On the one hand, we can assume she knows you're married because she's supposedly looking for your crew and thus would know some pertinent facts to help her find them - plus she would've met them during the SoR plot. Then we have that daft scene where she "captures the assassins" Quinn and Dorne, who could be your trooper's wife or your warrior's husband. I mean, unless she was just being super passive-aggressive or something... :D

I think they just don't bother giving her dialogue changes. They do the same thing with Pierce's Alliance Alert - the AA that you get as a Sith Warrior for Pierce is no different than the one for any other class (even though the interaction with him obviously *is* different). It makes no sense at all because Lana obviously would know who both of these people are for Sith Warriors.

In my SW's case, she hated Quinn, did NOT romance him, did not forgive him for The Incident and wanted him dead...so Lana's calling him an assassin worked for me. It was probably more polite than what my SW would have called him.

The way the romances are scripted with Theron and Lana vs. the vanilla companions is totally weird, though. In SoR, you can have a thing with Lana or Theron right in front of your spouse, and that's apparently cool with everyone. In KOTFE/KOTET it's one or the other, but if you go back to your class romance, your long-lost spouse apparently doesn't care or even mention that you've been hooked up with Lana/Theron/Koth for more than a year...