Well, I guess Kotaku gave us their own Producer's Note. SWTOR could Shut Down

ZionHalcyon

You know, come to think of it... Disney's deal is with EA. EA owns BW. BWA is the production studio for one of EA's Star Wars game - SWTOR. If BW is allocating resources away from SWTOR for their own title and neglecting the Star Wars title, wouldn't that be grounds for... something? I'm not an attorney so idk the correct term but it does seem logical.

It is well within EA's rights to do so, however, if I am not someone asleep at the wheel at Disney, I have been making note of these flounderings, and notice that EA has done nothing for our intellectual property, and perhaps in some ways has damaged it.

Therefore when the deal expires in 2020, I won't renew with them.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BioWare has also discussed ending development on the multiplayer online game Star Wars: The Old Republic, those sources said, although one person familiar with the studio told me recently that plans are still up in the air.

Dis Sheet right here. This explains their vague reluctancy in putting out the roadmap and any expansion. So what's really going on ?

Edited by Rasinator

Lucas couldn't restart Lucas Arts at this point. That's just a name. Shareholder statement says Disney.

Whatever they call it, Disney could easily found an in-house development arm for Star Wars games. My sense from what I've read is that BW doesn't want to invest resources into SWTOR because they make less money off of it due to royalties paid on the IP. There is even an article from a few years back where James Ohlen said precisely that - BW's primary goal is to develop their own IPs.

Do you really think Disney cares as long as they're making money? I don't. They're going to milk the Star Wars name unlike anything you've ever seen.

That was kind of my point. SWTOR isn't making money, and whatever money it is making that BW keeps, is not being reinvested into SWTOR. It's being funneled into Anthem, along with all of the personnel needed to release meaningful content. If I were the IP holder, I would have an issue with that.

Damn it, why do I keep thinking the deal ends in 2020. It ends in 2024.

So EA still has some time.

Interesting idea coming to my head. Not really good news but interesting.

EA owns BioWare. If EA closes BioWare, does the intellectual property from BioWare go to EA?

Could EA deprive SWTOR of resources, close down BioWare when Anthem fails, and then take control of SWTOR themselves and develop for it again? Or perhaps close the game, but then develop an MMO with the Old Republic intellectual property?

Not really sure how that all works.

Damn it, why do I keep thinking the deal ends in 2020. It ends in 2024.

So EA still has some time.

Interesting idea coming to my head. Not really good news but interesting.

EA owns BioWare. If EA closes BioWare, does the intellectual property from BioWare go to EA?

Could EA deprive SWTOR of resources, close down BioWare when Anthem fails, and then take control of SWTOR themselves and develop for it again? Or perhaps close the game, but then develop an MMO with the Old Republic intellectual property?

Not really sure how that all works.

EA/Bioware has never been in possession of the intellectual property rights of the Star Wars franchise.

That has, and remains, with Disney. What EA/Bioware has is a license to market products based on that IP, just like Hasbro or Mattel would have a license to make little plastic figures. At no time do any of those companies "own" the intellectual property.

Edited by xordevoreaux

After reading the article and mulling things over that I've heard and such, I think, while things look dire, there is still some hope for the future. Sure, they've pulled people away to work on Anthem (which by the way if it frigs up swtor I'll hold a grudge and not play it anyway, just putting that out there), but we have been promised a roadmap, albeit 'months' away, so I wouldn't expect anything before like...March, maybe May.

Those who have played here know that things get lean information and game wise this time of year, usually from about December to the end of February this place is deadville in terms of anything from the devs/news.

The reason I'm trying to remain optimistic is that there is stuff being done, like Joe Gatt who plays Scourge hinted he was doing new lines for Scourge and it sounded like things were going to evolve for his character. Then there is also the fact they had Arcann written up and coverted to a romance for his followers. There is a need to conclude the Traitor story. There are things in the works it seems, we just haven't gotten anything official from the devs...this is all kind of behind the scenes stuff.

I'd like to think the majority of us want the game to succeed, and rather than speculating about what might happen, maybe the better question is, how do we save the game we love? How do we make them sit up and take notice, that we're not going to go away quietly into the night and play whatever trash they put out next? I want SWTOR, I don't want Anthem, or anything else for that matter. This is the game I love and want to play and I want to see it survive the lull.

Edited by Lunafox

After reading the article and mulling things over that I've heard and such, I think, while things look dire, there is still some hope for the future. Sure, they've pulled people away to work on Anthem (which by the way if it frigs up swtor I'll hold a grudge and not play it anyway, just putting that out there), but we have been promised a roadmap, albeit 'months' away, so I wouldn't expect anything before like...March, maybe May.

Those who have played here know that things get lean information and game wise this time of year, usually from about December to the end of February this place is deadville in terms of anything from the devs/news.

The reason I'm trying to remain optimistic is that there is stuff being done, like Joe Gatt who plays Scourge hinted he was doing new lines for Scourge and it sounded like things were going to evolve for his character. Then there is also the fact they had Arcann written up and coverted to a romance for his followers. There are things in the works it seems, we just haven't gotten anything official from the devs...this is all kind of behind the scenes stuff.

I'd like to think the majority of us want the game to succeed, and rather than speculating about what might happen, maybe the better question is, how do we save the game we love? How do we make them sit up and take notice, that we're not going to go away quietly into the night and play whatever trash they put out next? I want SWTOR, I don't want Anthem, or anything else for that matter. This is the game I love and want to play and I want to see it survive the lull.

Get 20,000 more people to subscribe.

I figured this could be the case. EA isn't interested in story games so closing an MMO sounds about right. They probably want to put that talent into Anthem or some other multiplayer game. I knew the moment I got that crappy Andronikos reunion that only the laziest effort was put into the entire thing. Like it was just slapped together.

Not to mention this guy told the truth about BW before, so yeah. It's easy to believe this is the case.

While that sounds daunting, if each of us got even one friend to play it, it would add up.

We ask upon daddy Trump to save SWTOR! use his presidential powers to throw all those contemplating ending SWTOR in jail and lose the keys.

The reason I'm trying to remain optimistic is that there is stuff being done, like Joe Gatt who plays Scourge hinted he was doing new lines for Scourge and it sounded like things were going to evolve for his character. Then there is also the fact they had Arcann written up and coverted to a romance for his followers. There are things in the works it seems, we just haven't gotten anything official from the devs...this is all kind of behind the scenes stuff.

I dont know how, I thought my sub money and occasional coin purchases signaled my love for the game and my desire to have it developed. But now I’m not even sure my money goes back into swtor but some other game I’ll never even play.

Maybe a “thanks for swtor 💖💖💖” thread? 🙂

One has to wonder how Blizzard can have all those games out and produce the content for them : Diablo 3, HOTS, Starcraft , Overwatch, Hearthstone together with the biggest MMO out there WoW and Bioware struggles with even SWTOR.

But for me this rumor doesn't make much sense because I don't see why would BW want to pull the plug from this game because there is a room for both those games on the market since one is MMO-RPG and another will be a looter shooter Destiny clone type of the game and both of those genres attract different audiences usually. And because of the IP to, this game together with this IP can still get a good turnaround and make still a lot of the money if it only gets properly managed. Unless there is maybe SWTOR 2 in the works or in the plans with the new engine about which we still don't know yet.

I think the reason Blizzard is still around is they have control over there content and they have a army of employees.

With what do we get them to sub exactly? This rate of content? I am afraid its a vicious circle...developing so little, bit expecting people to sub...aint gonna happen.

It is, but I'm trying to be part of the solution, not the problem. Anyone can whine about things and prognosticate and post countless threads about an article, but how many are really trying to figure out a way to help things, rather than further running it into the ground with doom and gloom?

I would rather try to plug the leaks than join the other rats jumping overboard at the first sign of trouble.

With what do we get them to sub exactly? This rate of content? I am afraid its a vicious circle...developing so little, bit expecting people to sub...aint gonna happen.

Maybe if we did a Twitter and social media campaign as players aimed at Disney and LucasArts to show that we love the game and want it saved? If EA/Bioware won't listen maybe those that hold the licenses will and they have enough cash to feed the beast.

It is, but I'm trying to be part of the solution, not the problem. Anyone can whine about things and prognosticate and post countless threads about an article, but how many are really trying to figure out a way to help things, rather than further running it into the ground with doom and gloom?

I would rather try to plug the leaks than join the other rats jumping overboard at the first sign of trouble.

Maybe another batch of themed subscriber rewards, again? or another 'Bonus Chapter'?

Maybe if we did a Twitter and social media campaign as players aimed at Disney and LucasArts to show that we love the game and want it saved? If EA/Bioware won't listen maybe those that hold the licenses will and they have enough cash to feed the beast.

Your enthusiasm is laudable.

I wonder how loud the SWG crowd was the 30 days prior to Sony shutting it down.

Or The Matrix.

Or Archlord.

Or Vanguard.

Or WarHammer Online

I played them all.

All dead.

All had their fans.

Didn't matter.

But...I laud your enthusiasm.

Like we havent done this for years now....lol. The result? There is only one way to figure, its not magic, its not science. Invest in this game, release an expansion, bring a lot of content. This turn players around. Not forum white-knighting, not hope, not wishes, but work and something to show off the players. At this rate forget new players, retaining old vets like most of us will be a hard thing.

Another one?? The Devs come out and explain to us the situation cards down on the table. Nothing else besides those 2 things is gonna fix this.

Third one? Make enough noise as I said before, so Disney notices. But its a long shot.

Edited by ExarSun

Maybe another batch of themed subscriber rewards, again? or another 'Bonus Chapter'?

That's a step, it would be nice to get a few new things and shouldn't be that hard to put forward. Maybe even reoffering the stuff about The Shroud would work, as well as allowing new or resubbed people to get access to Niko and Shae...many people like those and I think quite a few might have missed out.

Like we havent done this for years now....lol. The result? There is only one way to figure, its not magic, its not science. Invest in this game, release an expansion, bring a lot of content. This turn players around. Not forum white-knighting, not hope, not wishes, but work and something to show off the players. At this rate forget new players, retaining old vets like most of us will be a hard thing.

Another one?? The Devs come out and explain to us the situation cards down on the table. Nothing else besides those 2 things is gonna fix this.

Third one? Make enough noise as I said before, so Disney notices. But its a long shot.

I hope you're not suggesting I'm a white knight lol. Far from it, if I'm unhappy about a thing, I usually give them a good verbal thrashing over it. That doesn't mean I don't love it, I just want them to do better for all of us. But I think a concerted effort toward Disney to show that we love the game couldn't hurt, as you say 'make noise'. Organized noise, like dedicated a day or a week toward twittering about the game even once a day at Disney.

Allowing people another chance to get things they missed out on like The Shroud and Nico and Shae might also help draw some people in.

That's a step, it would be nice to get a few new things and shouldn't be that hard to put forward. Maybe even reoffering the stuff about The Shroud would work, as well as allowing new or resubbed people to get access to Niko and Shae...many people like those and I think quite a few might have missed out.

Those things don't attract new players. They attract, potentially, old players who wanted that content.

What, in the course of the game's existence so far, has failed to attract new players?

Player churn = the rate of new players / the rate players quit.

Retention is the flip side of attraction. Both are necessary.

Retention has failed.

Attracting new players won't matter if they leave in a month after they've played a few toons to 70 and don't like the fact a male can't romance Corso, the pvp leaderboards perpetually seem screwed up, conquest is limited to just the bigggest pigs at the trough now, the CXP gear grind.... etc.... etc... whatever people gripe about the game.

Obviously, since the game's beginning, there has been no profound means in place to reduce the number of new players walking out the door other than this is the only SW MMO in town.

Obviously, for many, that was never good enough, and they left.

I wish I could be positive right now.

Edited by xordevoreaux