Well, I guess Kotaku gave us their own Producer's Note. SWTOR could Shut Down

ZionHalcyon

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a live stream?:rak_02:

For about 2 seconds.

Basically decided its time I dropped my sub ... why give my money to a game I care nothing for? Its almost certain now swtor $$ are going to anthem, just like mass effect andromedas did. Stop taking my money and putting it in a game I have zero interest in, stupid ea.

Yep, they said they are trying to bring all remaining companions back this year. So if "maintenance mode" is starting sometime, it doesn't appear to be this year.

Right, cause 2 minutes of generic dialogue cutscenes screams "we are developing content". This will be your expansion for the whole year. Enjoy. Games on maintenance mode release more content than this (LOTRO).

Trying to bring I suspect will be like trying to release 1 OP till the end of the year.

Edited by ExarSun

Yep, they said they are trying to bring all remaining companions back this year. So if "maintenance mode" is starting sometime, it doesn't appear to be this year.

Awww I've missed it.:o Thanks for the info.:) I guess no maintenance mode yet.:rak_03:

Well for a a maintenance mode to start they really should bring them all back, shouldn't they? So maybe this is exactly the right preparation for maintenance mode.

Considering how Risha, Corso and Andronikos came back, I'd say it won't take much work for them to bring the rest back in a matter of a few months.

Edited by Tsillah

*sigh* I guess I better work on finishing KOTET on the other 7 toons.

2 minute cutscenes basically is maintenance mode.....

No basically about it.

Even the couple of fps and bosses we got last year is essentially maintenance mode but I was hoping in the background they were working on an expansion.

This doesn't seem to be the case and Im done giving them money for anthem.

This is really starting to spiral out of control. Someone mentions in an article that there has been talk about shutting it down and everyone panics. There has been talk about this regularly since a month after launch.

Personally I wish BioWare employees would stop leaking uncertainties. It just freaks people out.

Awww I've missed it.:o Thanks for the info.:) I guess no maintenance mode yet.:rak_03:

The Kotaku article specifically said things are up in the air about the game's future -- unless they very recently decided "yup, we're pulling the plug" then of course there are going to be tentative plans in place for future content.

The issue is that those plans might be scrapped if the current considerations do end up at "Stop development on SWTOR, put everyone on Anthem."

This is really starting to spiral out of control. Someone mentions in an article that there has been talk about shutting it down and everyone panics. There has been talk about this regularly since a month after launch.

Personally I wish BioWare employees would stop leaking uncertainties. It just freaks people out.

Definitely maybe. :cool:

That's because 6 months after articles like this one, or less, we usually find out its true.

If it wasn't they would have debunked it already.

Charles Boyd already said this wasn't going to be the last expansion on a live stream, Keith said in 2017, he wasn't going to talk about the expansion coming in 2018.

Surely I don't need to say more? Be skeptical if you want to, nothing wrong with that. But this is what they said.

I like the optimism and part of me agrees with it.

However, way back when, City of Heroes was working on/was beta testing their newest issue (what they called their expansions) when they got shut down. It was on their open beta test server and they were getting player feedback on it. They, as well as the players, were given a month's notice.

So even though BWA has plans in place for a possible new expansion, even if they've recorded new voice overs, even if they've animated everything and are ready for Beta testing in the next couple of months, NOTHING will stop EA from pulling the plug if they felt like it.

Not trying to be a pessimist here, just pointing out that games have had the plug pulled on them while in the middle of developing and expanding.

That's because 6 months after articles like this one, or less, we usually find out its true.

If it wasn't they would have debunked it already.

So you want them to confirm, that there has been talk about shutting the game down, when they might not know yet? Or confirm things, when they don't have a set date yet? How could they without making things worse?

Also, still think BioWare employees should keep there mouth shut. As much as I like news and leaked info, this kind of news is not doing anyone any favours.

Am i the only one not seeing any signs of an expansion lol. They just said this year will be all returning companions...so that means some cutscenes every few months and thats it. Last year disaster surely doesn't point to an expansion. Not even trying to communicate any plans. Winter roadmap being ready almost at the beginning of spring. This content quantity wise is worse than some maintenance mode games, but expansion surely is in order...Can't see the basis of it...tying some loose story ends can be done via alerts with generic 2 minute dialogue...Not saying it should be done like this, but EAware's behaviour is so amusing it wont surprise me at all...

So you want them to confirm, that there has been talk about shutting the game down, when they might not know yet? Or confirm things, when they don't have a set date yet? How could they without making things worse?

Also, still think BioWare employees should keep there mouth shut. As much as I like news and leaked info, this kind of news is not doing anyone any favours.

What are you talking about? It's done me a huge favour.

Am i the only one not seeing any signs of an expansion lol. They just said this year will be all returning companions...so that means some cutscenes every few months and thats it. Last year disaster surely doesn't point to an expansion. Not even trying to communicate any plans. Winter roadmap being ready almost at the beginning of spring. This content quantity wise is worse than some maintenance mode games, but expansion surely is in order...Can't see the basis of it...tying some loose story ends can be done via alerts with generic 2 minute dialogue...Not saying it should be done like this, but EAware's behaviour is so amusing it wont surprise me at all...

Oh no, you're not the only one. I still think there will be one but you could easily be right. They do seem to emphasize the returning companions quite a bit I admit.

But then again if they need 6 weeks for a roadmap, surely it will contain more than companion alerts...right?