What is your opinion of Galactic Command after the recent changes?

LordArtemis

The CXP boom was experienced before two significant events: 1) people realizing that reaching 300CR really wasnt worth grinding as much as they had been, and 2) the recent changes to UCs and primary gear acquisition.

Providing a faster way to gear up en masse is never a good move for maintaining longevity, especially if new content doesnt come as frequently as people are requesting/expecting. The long grind is a staple of mmos that provides a time sink in between releases. Events are put in to break the monotony, but not intended to be a permanent addition to fix a problem, for obvious reasons.

Edited by olagatonjedi

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only problem with GC is that it eliminates PvE content progression, but that can be rectified by the player's own choice of what content to do with what gear. I will be limiting myself to tiers of content that my gear is rated for like so:

Teir 1: VM Flashpoints and Uprisings

Tier 2: MM Flashpoint and Uprisings

Tier 3: SM Operations

Tier 4: HM Operations

on my future Merc with the original Tracer Missile animation.

BTW, 17017 UCs is how much full T4 costs, so you can send 17k UCs to a fresh 70 and have them in full 248s in seconds.

Edited by sixtydollers

And yet it had exactly that effect when it was done by accident.

So where's the issue?

It can't be that it would lead to nothing to do at end-game - the game has been there, done that, and got the t-shirt for the last 18 months.

All The Best

Well, to be fair I feel that is a pretty subjective statement, but that doesn't mean you are wrong. As I indicated, perhaps running it as an event would demonstrate its effect on the game in a controlled way....certainly if it pans out it could become permanent.

Edited by LordArtemis

Well, to be fair I feel that is a pretty subjective statement, but that doesn't mean you are wrong. As I indicated, perhaps running it as an event would demonstrate its effect on the game in a controlled way....certainly if it pans out it could become permanent.

Darth Spuds will probably be the first to admit that he and I rarely agree. In this case, however, he is absolutely correct. It was posted definitively that there was increased activity by Menace (who has not been present for some time).

Setting aside your annoying Papa Smurf / Nanny McPhee tendencies (you were wrong when you slammed me in a different thread, and FYI, will have zero impact on my posting style)....

There is empirical evidence that increasing rewards increases player activity. To the extent that of some of us - (and this part is anecdotal) -- are playing alts because we can complete current content now, it makes sense to increase rewards. At some point, there will be new a tier...no reason not to do a close out sale.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Setting aside your annoying Papa Smurf / Nanny McPhee tendencies (you were wrong when you slammed me in a different thread, and FYI, will have zero impact on my posting style)....

Are you speaking of the Deny or Die thread, or something else? I am unaware of any point where I would have "slammed" you as you say, though I responded to that particular comment directly.

Edited by LordArtemis

I recently used my Unnassembled components to get a 242 Mainhand. Then promptly got a 242 Mainhand from the RNG.

Yesterday I used my Unnassembled components to get a 248 Offhand, then two crates later I got a 248 offhand from the RNG.

You can probably guess what I think of it, its not nice.

The system has it's downfalls, sure, but really that doesn't seem that different from normal raids back in the day...sometimes you would need an armor piece, purchase said piece only to have it drop in a subsequent raid.

That's not an excuse of course, only pointing out that this problem existed in the past with random drops.

The system has it's downfalls, sure, but really that doesn't seem that different from normal raids back in the day....

Precisely - "back in the day" - since then grown up Game Companies moved away from cheap, lazy RNG.

Heck WoW has a loot system that drops gear for your specific build, not just your class.

There are no real upsides to a Random system because... ...well... ...wait for it... ...it's random.

So whatever perceived benefit there is is only ever illusory.

All The Best

Edited by DarthSpuds

Precisely - "back in the day" - since then grown up Game Companies moved away from cheap, lazy RNG.

Heck WoW has a loot system that drops gear for your specific build, not just your class.

There are no real upsides to a Random system because... ...well... ...wait for it... ...it's random.

So whatever perceived benefit there is is only ever illusory.

All The Best

I would disagree. For a casual player the entire game is RNG, and this system, IMO, is just another RNG loot machine. This system also gives casual players the ability to gear up in a way they would not normally be able to in the past unless they participated in hard content.

The place it falls short is for hardcore players. Obviously it is not a great system for those that run hard content on a regular basis, though the system has improved a bit since it was launched.

I would disagree. For a casual player the entire game is RNG, and this system, IMO, is just another RNG loot machine. This system also gives casual players the ability to gear up in a way they would not normally be able to in the past unless they participated in hard content.

The place it falls short is for hardcore players. Obviously it is not a great system for those that run hard content on a regular basis, though the system has improved a bit since it was launched.

You've claimed this before, as a Casual let me assure you that you are completely wrong.

As a Casual the current gearing system is as bad as it has ever been - because once upon a time you could circumvent RNG with crafting - and you can't now.

The poster above you alludes to ESO's loot system being RNG, it is, but I can gear up to 99% as powerful as "end game RNG loot" using the Crafting System in ESO - and IIRC they are looking at a system that would allow players to swap "Traits" on gear - which is the biggest bugbear of the RNG loot system.

All The Best

Sorry to rain on your parade.... but even back in the day... MMOs were riddled with RNG. In fact, MMOs don't work without liberal use of RNG throughout. Yes.. I get it.. you don't like RNG because of the way it was deployed with GC... but to state that RNG is evil and did not used to exist in MMOs.. is both inaccurate and absurd. In the olds days... we ran raids over and over and over again... hoping to get the exact piece of gear we wanted or needed.... only to have the RNG toss out something else for some other class. We complained about RNG back then too... but as mature adults we understood RNG to be part and parcel to the gaming experience... back when MMOs were largely "surprise efforts" where you never knew what your were going to get, or when you would get face-stomped by a random patrol or ganked by a zerg out in a PvP area.

You mean like how GC crates are tuned to your discipline here in SWTOR?

Edited by Andryah

Again, as a casual player myself I can see the merits of the new system....naturally I DO NOT like the current crafting setup with the armor. I would rather it not be so difficult to get proper schematics doing RE. That could use some improvement, but honestly I am not the one to suggest those improvements.

The merit, IMO, comes from giving me something I didn't have before. Other than some cool loot I have a chance at some rather high end armor.

For me that is a plus.

GC has always fit my playstyle well. Since I vary my time between different activities in game greatly I'm never in a rush to have the best rated gear but can still work towards it. I think it just takes too long for most people because they focus on specific content. I seem to get what I need if I havent crafted or purchased it already. Also now that its easier to get UCs I may be able to make use of them whereas I rarely had enough for a single purchase before.

GC has always fit my playstyle well. Since I vary my time between different activities in game greatly I'm never in a rush to have the best rated gear but can still work towards it. I think it just takes too long for most people because they focus on specific content. I seem to get what I need if I havent crafted or purchased it already. Also now that its easier to get UCs I may be able to make use of them whereas I rarely had enough for a single purchase before.

Do you think that increasing the CXP rate overall would benefit you? I'd like to hear your take on it.

Edited by LordArtemis

To answer the OP's question, I think GC is now where it needed to be at launch. We have PvE OPs tokens, we have PvP currency, AND we have a RNG system that supplements those two gear paths. GC is a supplement to standard gearing paths

The egregious flaw at launch was the removal of Ops tokens and PvP currency in favor of RNG. NO ONE liked it. Yes the current paradigm is not as easy as 4.x was to gear up characters (IMO 4.x was too easy), but gearing characters is not tough.

If I had one wish it would be to use command tokens and/or unassembled components and/or credits to be able to purchase legendary item modifications (e.g. B mods for tanks)