I think its time to allow free players to post on the official forums.

Varlak

Something that hit me when I came back form my 1 year brake out of SWtoR is how dead the forums are right now. There are class forums that has about 1 post per week.

I think these boards would feel more alive if free to play players could post in here.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why bother forums will be gone before the game shuts down next year

^This is why we don't need free accounts posting. There will be comments like this--and worse--x100. And that's before you get to the swath of gold spam you'd have to wade through.

Edited by Sinhammer

{I agree, and I've already got 15 f2p accounts ready, so that when I troll and it gets banned, I can just jump right back on again. Let's make the forums as much fun as Fleet/DK chat.}

Many F2P game allows this and the problem you point isn't that much of a problem. Ithere is also a lot fo ways to prevent this, Not allowing lvl 1 account to post, requiering minimal playtime a week to have the right to post, IP lock ETC.

Since this board has hardly any to no moderation. Let's not.

That's not really true, infractions are thrown around easily enough and people go on vacation often enough.:rak_03: Also threads are moved around a lot. If you report things that are unsuitable, they will get removed provided they are against the rules.

Edited by Eshvara

That's not really true, infractions are thrown around easily enough and people go on vacation often enough.:rak_03: Also threads are moved around a lot. If you report things that are unsuitable, they will get removed provided they are against the rules.

Many poeple on these boards don't seems to see the difference between someone disagreeing with them and a troll. Maybe its bcuz I played WoW a lots but I feel like SWtOR forums are almost free from trolls.

Someones crying his class is weak and need to be buffed while the problem is a L2P issue isn't trolling. He might be annoying but it can't be considered trolling and wouldn't be banned from any online forums that I know off. P2P or F2P doesn't change a thing about it.

Many poeple on these boards don't seems to see the difference between someone disagreeing with them and a troll. Maybe its bcuz I played WoW a lots but I feel like SWtOR forums are almost free from trolls.

Someones crying his class is weak and need to be buffed while the problem is a L2P issue isn't trolling. He might be annoying but it can't be considered trolling and wouldn't be banned from any online forums that I know off. P2P or F2P doesn't change a thing about it.

Yeah, people use the term troll pretty quickly.

Speaking from experience, I received a warning not too long ago for something I had said. What I had said was completely innocent and nearly impossible to misconstrue. I complained about it to CS and Eric replied that he reviewed it, agreed with me and removed the warning.

That tells me either A) People are troll-reporting and the Mods are clicking Warn/Ban/etc. without reading the actual threads and comments, or B) the mods aren't reading the threads/comments and are just clicking Warn/Ban/etc. on individual words/phrases they see while skimming the forums, with no context.

Perhaps it's a combination of both. Either way, the method of moderation needs looked at.

Speaking from experience, I received a warning not too long ago for something I had said. What I had said was completely innocent and nearly impossible to misconstrue. I complained about it to CS and Eric replied that he reviewed it, agreed with me and removed the warning.

That tells me either A) People are troll-reporting and the Mods are clicking Warn/Ban/etc. without reading the actual threads and comments, or B) the mods aren't reading the threads/comments and are just clicking Warn/Ban/etc. on individual words/phrases they see while skimming the forums, with no context.

Perhaps it's a combination of both. Either way, the method of moderation needs looked at.

Moderation certainly isn't perfect, I got infracted for saying that people aren't allowed to post information that starts with the D word. Supposedly you're not allowed to say the D word. I complained about it but never heard back so yeah...

And we already know that every post will be the same ‘give me entire game for free’.

Actualy those I see complaining about that are subscriber since I can read them on these forums :-P

I don't see these phrase that much on the LotR boards, neither on Revolution online or Tera and they follow SWtOR model but allow everyones to post on the forums.

You fear something that doesn't seems to happen elsewhere, If you could point MMO forums that are plagued by cry baby because they allow free to play custumers to post it would give more punch to your argument I'd say.

They should just open up the entire game to preferred players.

I think it got mentioned as worse business model at MassivelyOP for another year. The restrictions on play seem completely backwards, you let people play the best part of the game but in the most limiting manner to make it as cumbersome as possible with gearing, quickbar and other restrictions. Then after giving the story away for free you charge monthly to participate in the End Game Grind which is repeating old content to get rng loot boxes to get better gear to make playing the old content easier.

They need a better business model where subscription and or direct DLC purchases open up new content which is considered value for money. Cause as it stands now anyone getting tired of the grind has no reason to subscribe, while F2P players have access to the best part of the game but in such a way that doesn't lend itself to becoming a subscriber because the experience of the game play mechanics which you will be seeing a lot of in end game grind while very little new content or story will have been tainted by the many restrictions.

Edited by Costello

They should just open up the entire game to preferred players.

I think it got mentioned as worse business model at MassivelyOP for another year. The restrictions on play seem completely backwards, you let people play the best part of the game but in the most limiting manner to make it as cumbersome as possible with gearing, quickbar and other restrictions. Then after giving the story away for free you charge monthly to participate in the End Game Grind which is repeating old content to get rng loot boxes to get better gear to make playing the old content easier.

That and I also suspect they don't listen that much to free 2 play players thinking they don't bring money tot he game. But if the F2P part was a betther experience maybe we would have more of them jumping into the subing part.

EA seems to think that if the F2P model is so bad then poeple will pay a sub to stay away of all the bad thing F2P give us. But when you have a bad free experience in a MMO you rarely end up paying to play the game.

I feel like SWtOR forums are almost free from trolls.

A lot of that is probably BECAUSE of the posting restriction you are asking them to change.

I'd very much prefer that they keep it just like it is.

I've only been playing since October, and I wasn't aware that F2P players couldn't post here until about a week ago, when I saw another one of these threads.

This is the first gaming forum I've encountered that had this particular restriction in place, and I gotta say, I rather like it.

Having been a moderator on another gaming forum for years, I think relaxing the restriction is a bad idea; it would be detrimental.

That and I also suspect they don't listen that much to free 2 play players thinking they don't bring money tot he game. But if the F2P part was a betther experience maybe we would have more of them jumping into the subing part.

EA seems to think that if the F2P model is so bad then poeple will pay a sub to stay away of all the bad thing F2P give us. But when you have a bad free experience in a MMO you rarely end up paying to play the game.

This is the part I do not understand.

Why do people seem to think that a person who is not willing to subscribe to play the game with all the bells and whistles and would rather play for FREE with restrictions is suddenly going to subscribe if they can get even more of the game or more bells and whistles for FREE? That makes absolutely no sense to me. I doubt anyone with half a brain would think that makes any sense.

IMO, this seems to just another "Give me more for FREE!!!!" thread.

Edited by Ratajack

The cons outweigh the benefits by far. I consider in the equation two variables: 1) are they going to contribute anything substantively different than already exists?; and 2) are there other outlets for them to express their opinions, which if they resonate strongly enough, will make its way here?

To point 1 -- the answer is no. We all know the issues with the game, and I think subscribers pretty much have captured the spectrum of opinion.

To point 2 -- the answer is yes. There is Reddit, and to a lesser extent Dulfy (and look at that comment section), and Twitter.

Now consider the trolling, the needless forum reporting, etc. It would simply create more work for the mods and do little to contribute to productive discussion. And Yoda knows I can think of a few subscribers who have quit since I returned last December that I'm more than happy to see gone -- and stay gone (at least as far as the negativity in forum posting -- would be happy to have them give BW money)! :rak_03:

Happy Holidays,

Nasty Dasty

Edited by Jdast