KOTET is SWTOR's NGE But Much Worse

WaveRun

Ever since BioWare decided to outright massacre the game forcing KOTET down our throats even if we didn't want it, see command crates, this game has been on a fast downward spiral. Now with the CC and sub cards no longer being sold at 3rd party vendors, many people will no longer be subbed in a couple months, especially those who stock up on them when they're on sale because they refuse to pay 15/mo like myself. EA looks like they're pulling an SoE on SWTOR and we're just now seeing the last bit of much wanted updates that have been asked for years. SoE did the very same thing with SWG shortly before it's sunset. Discuss.

I played SWG from day-2 until 15DEC2011. The final version of the game was MUCH better than the launch. Did I miss being able to have my BH/Pistoleer? Or my Smuggler0400/MWeps/MArm? Sure I did. But anyone claiming that that game (in 2003) was user friendly is lying or doesn't know what they are talking about.

The fact of the matter is that the NGE happened on 15 NOV 05 and SWG continued on until DEC 2011. Six years. It wasn't the NGE that killed SWG, there are a few Emulators running right now with over 1000 players (around the clock). What killed SWG was World of Warcraft, premature release and quite frankly this game (the largest reason of all).

Edited by ekwalizer

For fear of starting yet another SWG debate, it was the CU that changed SWG. They shifted their focus from long term subscribers to the "power gamers" as Smedley put it. When that turned into a fiasco, and fell flat, they decided to do the NGE to try and salvage the game and turn it into a romper room, taking jedi off the alpha list and making them available at creation because the casuals didn't want to be forced into pvp for having a jedi and the power gamers wanted their results "Now, nao, NAO!!11!!!1" I quit 2 weeks after the CU, and went back after the NGE. That lasted 2 months. It was a weak, pathetic mockery of the game I played, and enjoyed for years.

And while it was "terribad" for most SWG old schoolers and awful, it still appealed to a lot of people because they didn't have to grind, and got their easy gratification, so they stuck with it until it shut down.

But yeah, comparing ET to the NGE = total ignorance.

Winner.

I was there and this person speaks the truth.

I would say that evidence indicates the largest losses that WoW incurred in subs (at least until they stopped reporting them) was after Cataclysm.

The argument has existed for some time that SWTOR is or was dying. The closest I think it came to actual death, based on information released by Bioware here, on the net and in financial statements (through EA of course, some of it rather general in nature) was just before the launch of F2P, when it appeared the game was rocketing to the bottom.

Since that time population has likely fluctuated, but has probably lost players over time based on the last server merge. It would be difficult for me to give my opinion on what specifically caused this loss because I am not privy to the actual sub numbers AND I think it is most likely a slow loss over time.

I do think, however, that the expansions did not generate the kind of retention the devs wanted. There are likely many reasons for this, and I will not list them here.

I dont think GC, in its launch form helped matters.

People are forgetting the "Much Worse" part of the thread. Fact of the matter is that I'm simply saying SWG shut down with the NGE and SWTOR is going to shut down with the KOTET. You cannot dispute facts.

what you are trying to compare is a story line vs a literal game change in both mechanics and atmosphere. SWG had six years of updates after the NGE was released. in fact...they had a lot of updates in those six years; some big and some small.

It would likely be more accurate to say it "shut down" with game update 21 which is equivalent to stating SWtOR would shut down with KotET. SWG didnt shut down because of the NGE. it lost a lot of subs because it, but it didnt get shut down because of the update. this game hasnt changed its core mechanics and play style since it released.

what you are trying to compare is a story line vs a literal game change in both mechanics and atmosphere. SWG had six years of updates after the NGE was released. in fact...they had a lot of updates in those six years; some big and some small.

It would likely be more accurate to say it "shut down" with game update 21 which is equivalent to stating SWtOR would shut down with KotET. SWG didnt shut down because of the NGE. it lost a lot of subs because it, but it didnt get shut down because of the update. this game hasnt changed its core mechanics and play style since it released.

simple cause & effect mate: swg sent out NGE and game dies with the NGE, i'm not sure how you can keep saying something contradicting something that's repeating the same thing :rak_02:

KOTET is the end all be all for this game unfortunately and everything points to it, I'm just trying to help the devs get this show back on track

simple cause & effect mate: swg sent out NGE and game dies with the NGE, i'm not sure how you can keep saying something contradicting something that's repeating the same thing :rak_02:

KOTET is the end all be all for this game unfortunately and everything points to it, I'm just trying to help the devs get this show back on track

People that started playing SWG after the NGE never knew any difference from Pre-NGE. People who played after the CU never knew any difference from Pre-CU. Only those that were there understand what happened during these transitions. Yeah, SWG shut down while under the NGE, but that was the game it became 6 years prior to shutting down. That was the core of the game. It didn't shut down because of the NGE. It didn't shut down because of the CU. They obviously made enough money from it to keep it running until sunset, and EA got the license to publish Star Wars games.

So please stop blowing smoke up everyone's backside.

People are forgetting the "Much Worse" part of the thread. Fact of the matter is that I'm simply saying SWG shut down with the NGE and SWTOR is going to shut down with the KOTET. You cannot dispute facts.

I think that is oversimplifying it, unless you are trying to say that the NGE led to SWGs eventual demise, and KotET will have the same result here.

Do you mean the entire expansion, or just GC?

The NGE "event" was the day that people logged in to find a completely different game. A lot of people quit in the following days because of it, but the game didn't end for 6 more years. To say SWG ended because of the NGE is making a giant leap. It's ignorant of what happened. It's as if you were not there that day and you're misrepresenting the NGE. It's also a complete fallacy to equate what the NGE actually was with KOTET. NGE was a completely new game whereas the KOTET was a story expansion that only changed gearing progression. While GC and CXP sucks it's ignorant to equate end game gearing to a complete game overhaul that was the NGE.

TL;DR: You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop talking while you're behind.

Ever since BioWare decided to outright massacre the game forcing KOTET down our throats even if we didn't want it, see command crates, this game has been on a fast downward spiral. Now with the CC and sub cards no longer being sold at 3rd party vendors, many people will no longer be subbed in a couple months, especially those who stock up on them when they're on sale because they refuse to pay 15/mo like myself. EA looks like they're pulling an SoE on SWTOR and we're just now seeing the last bit of much wanted updates that have been asked for years. SoE did the very same thing with SWG shortly before it's sunset. Discuss.

News flash kid: They fixed the command crates. It was stupid when it first launched, but now it's a pretty decent system. Lay off mom's eggnog just a bit Jr.

You can't claim something as fact when it has not happened.