QoL December 2017 - Devs, Our Legacy Banks Need You!

Holocron

Earlier this year Keith or Eric stated that they will be finishing out the year with QoL improvements. We've already seen some of that in the form of legacy credits (which is awesome btw!). However, I suspect that database management still gets a bit unruly for the devs, especially considering the sheer amount of items that we have in the game. They've made big strides with things like stackable items and larger stack sizes. BUT there is room to go further, and help with the ever growing number of items that players are having to inconveniently keep track of across what seems like a bajilion toons now!

Legacy Armors in the Collections Framework

THE PROBLEM:

I'm going to use myself as an example here, so bare with me. I collect, like many players, many various armors and looks. This works hand in hand with the Armor appearance system that we enjoy. Also, like many players, I absolutely love that we have the collection system to look at, and retrieve, armors, weapons, and items at will. It saves a huge, huge burden for players having to keep track of all of those armors/items in multiple banks, like in the pre-collection system of old.

Now legacy armors/weapons are starting to become a real issue in the numbers department. I currently have probably a little over half of all of the legacy armors/weapons in the game. They all have unique looks/names etc., so they are a must have for most collectors and many players alike. Personally, I'm working on my third bank, YES THIRD BANK! That's three banks at six tabs each filled with nothing but legacy armor! And that is only half of them! That's getting absurd! It makes it a nightmare trying to utilize these armors across alts, especially with the cap being 50+ now. The single six tab legacy bank is woefully inadequate considering legacy armor isn't the only thing we as players need to keep track of on a regular basis. All legacy items really really need their own category in the collection system.

THE SOLUTION:

Show all of the legacy armors/weapons/items in their own tab/category in the collection system. Have them grey'd out like normal uncollected armors. When a player acquires the legacy armor and equips it the first time, it will unlock it in collections. However, the collection retrieval system will work slightly different than normal for all legacy items.

First, you can only have one set of each unlocked legacy armor/item checked out at a time. So for instance, you have Legacy Armor A, B, and C unlocked in your collections. You can retrieve one copy each of A, B, and C if you choose, as long as you don't have an existing copy of A, B, and C already checked out. Second, in order to re-store an armor/item in the collection system so that you can retrieve a copy later, the player simply deletes their existing copy. Once deleted, the game will recognize that that armor/item is available again for check out. If a player has mods in the armor, then they would simply store that armor like normal in their bank and not delete it. If a player doesn't care about the mods, then they would simply delete the armor like normal, and a fresh copy would be ready for them in the collections system.

This would save tons and tons of space for thousands of players, and would save a few headaches for the server hamsters and the poor IT guys/gals that have to take care of them. Also, bonus points if you add an additional counter to each legacy collection item for players that loot/quest more than one copy of a particular legacy item.

/Discuss

Edited by Holocron

This is a bit too contorted and unnecessary imo.

THE SOLUTION:

Show all of the legacy armors/weapons/items in their own tab/category in the collection system. Have them grey'd out like normal uncollected armors. When a player acquires the legacy armor and equips it the first time, it will unlock it in collections.

This is all that needs to be done, add them to the collection system so we can retrieve them any time we like.

This is all that needs to be done, add them to the collection system so we can retrieve them any time we like.

You and I agree, as I personally prefer that method too. Just allow those sets of armors to keep their legacy rating though, and function like the rest of the collection system. I only included the solution that I presented, because people in the past complained about it, and it negating the need to ever redo missions/quest for those legacy items etc.

Edited by Holocron

Earlier this year Keith or Eric stated that they will be finishing out the year with QoL improvements. We've already seen some of that in the form of legacy credits (which is awesome btw!). However, I suspect that database management still gets a bit unruly for the devs, especially considering the sheer amount of items that we have in the game. They've made big strides with things like stackable items and larger stack sizes. BUT there is room to go further, and help with the ever growing number of items that players are having to inconveniently keep track of across what seems like a bajilion toons now!

Legacy Armors in the Collections Framework

THE PROBLEM:

I'm going to use myself as an example here, so bare with me. I collect, like many players, many various armors and looks. This works hand in hand with the Armor appearance system that we enjoy. Also, like many players, I absolutely love that we have the collection system to look at, and retrieve, armors, weapons, and items at will. It saves a huge, huge burden for players having to keep track of all of those armors/items in multiple banks, like in the pre-collection system of old.

Now legacy armors/weapons are starting to become a real issue in the numbers department. I currently have probably a little over half of all of the legacy armors/weapons in the game. They all have unique looks/names etc., so they are a must have for most collectors and many players alike. Personally, I'm working on my third bank, YES THIRD BANK! That's three banks at six tabs each filled with nothing but legacy armor! And that is only half of them! That's getting absurd! It makes it a nightmare trying to utilize these armors across alts, especially with the cap being 50+ now. The single six tab legacy bank is woefully inadequate considering legacy armor isn't the only thing we as players need to keep track of on a regular basis. All legacy items really really need their own category in the collection system.

THE SOLUTION:

Show all of the legacy armors/weapons/items in their own tab/category in the collection system. Have them grey'd out like normal uncollected armors. When a player acquires the legacy armor and equips it the first time, it will unlock it in collections. However, the collection retrieval system will work slightly different than normal for all legacy items.

First, you can only have one set of each unlocked legacy armor/item checked out at a time. So for instance, you have Legacy Armor A, B, and C unlocked in your collections. You can retrieve one copy each of A, B, and C if you choose, as long as you don't have an existing copy of A, B, and C already checked out. Second, in order to re-store an armor/item in the collection system so that you can retrieve a copy later, the player simply deletes their existing copy. Once deleted, the game will recognize that that armor/item is available again for check out. If a player has mods in the armor, then they would simply store that armor like normal in their bank and not delete it. If a player doesn't care about the mods, then they would simply delete the armor like normal, and a fresh copy would be ready for them in the collections system.

This would save tons and tons of space for thousands of players, and would save a few headaches for the server hamsters and the poor IT guys/gals that have to take care of them. Also, bonus points if you add an additional counter to each legacy collection item for players that loot/quest more than one copy of a particular legacy item.

/Discuss

Didn't BW issue a statement that legacy items are not compatible with the collections system?

Didn't they change the HK-55 helmet from BOL to BOP when they added it to the collections interface?

You and I agree, as I personally prefer that method too. Just allow those sets of armors to keep their legacy rating though, and function like the rest of the collection system. I only included the solution that I presented, because people in the past complained about it, and it negating the need to ever redo missions/quest for those legacy items etc.

I disagree somewhat, as legacy is legacy, they all do the same thing, whether it be the free space suits you get with a new character or any other. There's no need for 50 sets of them, a few sets are more than enough and the rest are wanted because they have a unique look, so having the ones from the supply crates lose their legacy status to be able to be in collections would be a great trade off in my opinion.

Edited by Mowermanx

Agreed. After almost 6 years my banks are BURSTING at the seams. I'm a hoarder, yes... I know. IRL I have like three shirts. In SWTOR I have every outfit imaginable.

Agreed. After almost 6 years my banks are BURSTING at the seams. I'm a hoarder, yes... I know. IRL I have like three shirts. In SWTOR I have every outfit imaginable.

I think many of us have the same problem, and I'm sure thousands of players with thousands of items to load is not fun for the hamster.