Rank the Star Wars Movies

MajorZuma

8. The Empire Strikes Back - I am going to get hate for this, I am sorry, very sorry, but I just don't like this movie that much. Really, I have skipped The Empire Strikes Back more than once in my marathons (in the past more than nowadays) because I just found it too boring. The entire action with the Millennium Falcon fleeing, the Bespin parts, training on Dagobah... it lacks something in my opinion. Some more depth perhaps because this movie feels very superficial to me. The only interesting part of The Empire Strikes Back in my opinion is Hoth, thus the beginning of the movie. But otherwise I am not overly interested in Episode 5 whenever I watch it. The movie just never managed to get to me they way it has to majority of the Star Wars fans, which is why it sadly is in the last spot on this list.

The thing about ESB is that it was all about character development. That's why it feels "slow." This movie is so important to the way we see the original cast of characters, though. This is the one that made them feel like real people. This is the one where we make an emotional investment in our heroes.

Plus it had the Hoth battle, Yoda, and the big twist. Plus Vader stopping laser blasts with his hand. :t_eek:

Just want to throw that out there.

Edited by AlienEyeTX

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about ESB is that it was all about character development. That's why it feels "slow." This movie is so important to the way we see the original cast of characters, though. This is the one that made them feel like real people. This is the one where we make an emotional investment in our heroes.

Plus it had the Hoth battle, Yoda, and the big twist. Plus Vader stopping laser blasts with his hand. :t_eek:

Just want to throw that out there.

I didn't say the movie was bad, because objectively speaking the movie is great, especially when I view the points that others make about Empire Strikes Back. Also, there is not one Star Wars film I'd rate as bad. However, when I'd have to rate it among the other Star Wars movies it sadly does come last for me. Don't get me wrong, I love character development, I adore it and I want to see it as much as possible in movies, books, games and comics. However, somehow the way it is done in Empire Strike Back doesn't speak to me on the same level that it does to other Star Wars fans. It's a matter of perspective, I think :)

Edited by Ylliarus

I didn't say the movie was bad, because objectively speaking the movie is great, especially when I view the points that others make about Empire Strikes Back. Also, there is not one Star Wars film I'd rate as bad. However, when I'd have to rate it among the other Star Wars movies it sadly does come last for me. Don't get me wrong, I love character development, I adore it and I want to see it as much as possible in movies, books, games and comics. However, somehow the way it is done in Empire Strike Back doesn't speak to me on the same level that it does to other Star Wars fans. It's a matter of perspective, I think :)

I just wanted to point out what makes it great to me. We all have our own tastes and opinions. The world would be quite boring, otherwise!

But I get it. I absolutely love the fight between Obi-Wan and Jango in AotC, including the starship chase. But AotC is still easily the second worst film of the bunch (though still a good movie). I don't watch it much because of the terrible romance between Anakin and Padme.

Did a marathon re-watch of all the movies in advance of Ep. VIII, and after seeing how they all hold up on a fresh viewing (and putting TLJ in the list) my revised ranking is:

• The Empire Strikes Back
  • A New Hope
  • The Last Jedi
  • The Force Awakens
  • Return of the Jedi / Rogue One (tie)
  • Revenge of the Sith
  • Attack of the Clones
  • The Phantom Menace

Edited by DarthDymond

The Last Jedi

Rogue one

Revenge of the Sith

The Force Awakens

Attack of the Clones

Empire Strikes Back

Phantom Menace

Return of the Jedi

A New Hope

Cant really enjoy the originals as much considering they were made and marketed for a simpler era, and alone would honestly feel terrible, Palpatine is interesting because of how he got there and the things he did, not as a boring generic power hungry evil emperor which we know little about.

Edited by Ralph_Panda

1. Revenge of the Sith - Palpatine transforms the Republic into the Galactic Empire, purges the galaxy of the Jedi Order and brings the Grand Plan of the Sith to fruition. Reason enough for me to rate it as the best movie of all. The acting in this one, especially from Ian McDiarmid, is spectacular and on point. The entire ambiance of the movie is expertly made in my opinion.

2. Rogue One - It's no surprise, really, the movie is just damn good. The characters are well written, the story is intriguing, the lore introduced is fascinating and just the entire movie is one solid piece of Star Wars-feels. Despite the fact there is only 1 lightsaber scene in it, the most epic scene of all scenes ever made, I strongly felt the typical Star Wars vibe present within it.

3. Return of the Jedi - Emperor Palpatine is featured in this movie a lot! Which is why it's on the well-deserved third spot. Yes, if they made a Palpatine anthology movie it would take over the first spot just like Palpatine took over the Senate. Returning to RoTJ, overall I like the tone of the movie, the Tatooine bit being somewhat dull but not to the point where it would impact the ambiance of the movie. It's a solid and great conclusion to the original trilogy with the classic good feels at the end of the good guys winning. Say what you want to say but I am always teary-eyed at the Endor celebration scene.

4. The Force Awakens - Yes, it wasn't the best Star Wars story made but I really liked it! The story, albeit largely heavily inspired by A New Hope, was still intriguing and the new setting it introduced was rather very interesting. I wish they had been more bold with the movie which is why it isn't in my top 3, but generally it made me feel the Star Wars feels nonetheless. Maybe having read the Aftermath trilogy and Bloodline after the movie helped in getting a better feel for it, but I really think people were too critical of it for the fact it echoed very familiarly.

5. Attack of the Clones - I enjoy the movie whenever it's on television or I do a Star Wars marathon! I rarely consciously think "hey let me rewatch Episode 2" but whenever it is on I remember "oh yes, this is a nice one!". There is humour in it, there is action in it and there is a rather nice story in it. We see the Sith's machinations in action and especially knowing where it will end with in Revenge of the Sith and having the Clone Wars series in mind, the movie gains in rating.

6. The Phantom Menace - Perhaps this movie rates sixth because I have rather fond memories of it from my childhood. Had you asked me as a 8 years old boy what my favourite Star Wars movie was I would have screamed "Episode 1" rather joyfully. I think I have watched The Phantom Menace hundreds of times as a child, but later, as I grew older, I started to see the flaws in the movie as well as understand the criticism it received. Yes, the Star Wars movies are supposed to be family-friendly in general, but Episode 1 overdid it. And don't get me started on Jarr Jarr... him I hated even as an 8 years old boy. Still, this was one of the first movies that got me into Star Wars and childhood memories flood me whenever I see it, so I still look down on this movie with a smile.

7. A New Hope - I know, this was the first Star Wars movie ever released and yet... I only watch it as part of a marathon or when it's on TV. However, unlike Attack of the Clones I don't get the "oh yeah, I forgot I liked this one" feeling. Princess Leia and Han have great characters and are expertly portrayed. But Luke? Leia may be a Princess in title, but Luke in this movie is the actual princess. A teenager who just learned his father was a Jedi? Who lost his only family he had? Who had to essentially flee his homeworld as a fugitive? I would have him portrayed so differently. The plot overall is good though, although the predictability is at times overdone. Yes, the Star Wars movies are fairly predictable in general but I feel it was somewhat overdone in A New Hope. Maybe the fact that the movie doesn't provide much lore (when viewed in the broader scope of the movies, series, books, comics and games) is why I am not that fond of it.

8. The Empire Strikes Back - I am going to get hate for this, I am sorry, very sorry, but I just don't like this movie that much. Really, I have skipped The Empire Strikes Back more than once in my marathons (in the past more than nowadays) because I just found it too boring. The entire action with the Millennium Falcon fleeing, the Bespin parts, training on Dagobah... it lacks something in my opinion. Some more depth perhaps because this movie feels very superficial to me. The only interesting part of The Empire Strikes Back in my opinion is Hoth, thus the beginning of the movie. But otherwise I am not overly interested in Episode 5 whenever I watch it. The movie just never managed to get to me they way it has to majority of the Star Wars fans, which is why it sadly is in the last spot on this list.

I am going to see The Last Jedi this Saturday so this list will be updated by Sunday. I am very excited to see the new movie as from the spoiler-free reviews it sounds like a very great addition to the Star Wars saga!

A note however that will perhaps help understand my rating list: I have always preferred the Expanded Universe over the movies, be it Legends or new Canon. KOTOR 1 & 2 remain to me the best Star Wars stories out there, overshadowing the movies greatly. The books, the games, the comics I always found to have more depth and in general be more interesting due to the fact they can tell stories that don't have the restrictions the movies have, those being time and the fact they have to be family-friendly. The Darth Bane trilogy for example stands way above the movies in rating if we'd be rating what our top Star Wars stories from all the content are, but I wouldn't see Disney making them into movies anytime soon since they are rather dark at times and require a more mature audience.

New order after seeing the Last Jedi:

1. Revenge of the Sith

2. Rogue One

3. The Last Jedi

4. Return of the Jedi

5. The Force Awakens

6. Attack of the Clones

7. The Phantom Menace

8. A New Hope

9. The Empire Strikes Back

The Last Jedi is amazing, I absolutely loved it. The movie gave me the Star Wars feels but it was so different than all the other movies, in a very good way! It made it unique and amazing. There were many moments that just blew me away and really made my jaw drop. Yes, there were some flaws in the movie and a few things didn't go as I hoped they would go, but they didn't ruin the movie for me. It is a solid piece of Star Wars content that really deserve the 3d spot on my rating list at the moment.

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

T - The Force Awakens/Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

The one caveat I have is that the end of Revenge of the Sith would be right up with Return of the Jedi, but the rest of the movie drags it down hard. :t_frown:

Update to my rankings: you can slot The Last Jedi right up there in a tie for #2. Fantastic and I can't wait to watch it again. :t_biggrin:

I have always enjoyed SW movies (big understatement in fact) But I rarely expect them to be reallly good movies. This one goes right in the mix with the other really well done SW movies. Yes the Leia lives scene was odd, but frankly, I kinda laughed, Got to admire a director that just basically says, nope, not dead, get over it.

RIght up with Empire Strikes back as well made movie. Actually looking forward to seeing it one more time just to try and catch some stuff I no doubt missed. There was a LOT going on in that movie.

Listed also in order from best to least good:

a) Episode V; The Empire strikes back. (it's really the very best!!)

b) Episode II; The Attack of the Clones.

c) Episode I; The Phantom Menace.

d) Episode III; The Revenge of the Sith.

e) Episode VI; The Return of the Jedi.

f) Episode VIII; The Last Jedi.

g) Episode IV; A New Hope.

h) Episode VII; The Force awakens.

Rogue One was something trivial with only some exceptions, all related to Episode IV...

Edited by cunctatorg

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Rogue One

The Force Awakens

Return of the Jedi(*********** ewoks)

The Last Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones - Plot is good, writing is mostly ****, Hyden Christiansen is **** and him and Portman have absolutely 0 chemistry

Phantom Menace - *shudder*

Edited by Dryg

ESB was all about building the series. It's freaking masterful when you're watching a trilogy, but it's a little bit...lacking if you're just watching a movie. So depending on how they're being ranked, I can see how it wouldn't stack up. I'd still probably put it over the prequels and TFA, but if I find myself thinking "I want to watch a Star Wars movie" it's not the first one I'm going for.

1) Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back This one is kinda tied with the second place for me. Darth Vader is my favorite character and this movie shows his personality at its best. His dialogue with Luke and the whole story is just good from the beginning to end.

2) Rogue One A Star Wars Story I never thought that I would love a Star Wars movie this much that has no Jedi in it. But Rogue One is a trill ride from the start to end. I loved the new characters and I loved the story. And i found the ending to be bold and very strong.

The addition of Tarkin was amazing to me and I am not going to shy away from the fact that the added Vader scenes, and Leia at the end pushed this movie up this high for me. Call it fanservice or whatever you want. But this movie gave me chills like no other movie has done. And this has the best space battle in the whole franchise.

3) Episode 3 The Revenge of the Sith Every scene with the Emperor in this movie is amazing, the action is great, the music is spectacular and I don't care what anyone thinks, I loved Anakin in this one. And it has my favorite moment in the whole franchise, the scene when they put the mask on Anakin for the first time. That moment when he takes his first breath as Vader always gives me chills.

4) Episode 6 The Return of the Jedi Yes the Ewoks may be silly and brings it down on the list, but the scenes with Jabba, the epic space battles, the fun forest fight and the awesome climactic end of Lukes journey makes this movie an awesome experience. The speeder bike scenes has not aged well though and I usually roll my eyes a bit when it comes on.

5) Episode 1 The Phantom Menace Yes, I do like this movie. It has Jar Jar and I don't care. He is supposed to be annoying, heck Qui Gon uses a mind trick on him just to shut him up. I like Jar Jars arc in this movie as he is the fool, the hated one that somehow manages to become a hero and saves the day. The pod race scene is also really awesome and absolutely love the end fight against Darth Maul. The music is also spectacular.

6) Episode 2: The Attack of the Clones I know a lot of people hate this movie, but I love the mystery and the sort of detective story with Obi Wan in this one. I don't mind the overly formal and stiff ways that Anakin and Padme acts in this movie. For me it makes sense as they grow up in roles that requires a very formal way of life.

So to me it has never really bothered me. And I don't care what anyone says, when Anakin gets angry, he sells it. The action on kamino and geonosis are also really cool. Seeing so many Jedis at once was amazing the first time I saw it and it is still a great moment to me. And the Yoda fight is still pretty awesome to me, though I wish it was a lot longer. And it has my favorite Star Wars melody which is Across the Stars.

7) Episode 1 A New Hope. Before you go crazy on me calling me an idiot for putting the original movie so far down. Just know that I love these movies almost at the same level. But this movie is old and some parts of it I find corny. The lightsaber fight between Obi Wan and Darth Vader is just lame. And the ending is just weird, having a medal ceremony feels so out of place. That being said, it does have some of the most iconic Star Wars moments ever and I do love it.

8) Episode 7 The Force Awakens. I accepted that this movie is sort of a case where history repeats itself. And I would have been fine with it as the story of the Skywalker family is a story of prophecies and destiny. So having Rey be a Skywalker who is a strong force user, natural pilot and the one that Anakin Lightsaber is calling too, would make sense. Having Han Solo be the Obi-Wan type character and Kylo Ren a twist on the Darth Vader character made for a compelling but predictable story. It had some great action scenes, it was funny, but not forced. And Han Solo was pretty much perfect.... But I can't watch this movie anymore, it is ruined for me. And that is because of my next spot.

9) Episode 8 The Last Jedi. This movie has not just pissed me off something fierce, it stomped on one of my favorite characters and has ruined future Star Wars stories for me.

It completely ruined Luke for me, making him do things that does not remotely fit his character. And somehow has not learned much as Yoda still has to teach him the ways of the Force. And the puppet for Yoda looked terrible. And Luke says he does not want anyone to find him, but then why did he leave a map for people to find him?!

His end scene could have been epic but it turned into a joke, and somehow he dies in the dumbest way ever. By heart attack or something like that...

The movie is ridiculous with some of the dumbest plot points I have ever seen. Most of the movie is The First Order chasing after the remaining Resistance fighters because they can't go into lightspeed more than one time. But none of the First Order leaders thinks to just send someone ahead with lightspeed to cut them off. Are you kidding me?!

They have a huge part of the movie be about Finn, Poe and a terrible new character called Rose go on a completely pointless journey that results in more deaths for the resistance. Seriously, had they not done anything it would all turn out fine.

The whole mystery surrounding Snoke leads to nothing as he is first shown being really powerfull, but somehow gets tricked by Kylo Ren who easily kills him. Then a fairly cool fight breaks out, but why is not Kylo Ren using the force against them?

Rey is also not a Skywalker but a nobody apparently. But somehow she is super powerful even without having any form of training. Heck Anakin and Luke required lots of training even with their natural connection to the force. And a lot of these things ruins Episode 7 for me. As these plot points ultimately leads to nothing. And Episode 7 would have been a lot higher on my list if not for this as it is now an unwatchable movie for me.

There are so many glaring plot holes and dumb additions that just sours the whole franchise. For instance, if a ship in lightspeed can do that much damage.Then why did no one use that trick before against the Death Star? Yes the movie had some awesome visuals, but that is it.

This movie has effectively ruined Luke for me, it has ruined the story for me and I care nothing about episode 9 now as I don't like the remaining characters anymore. I could say a lot more about this, but this post is already way too long.

Edited by Merwanor

1. The Last Jedi

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. Empire Strikes Back

4. The Force Awakens

5. The Phantom Menace

6. Return of the Jedi

7. A New Hope

8. Attack of the Clones

I grew up on the prequels, so I actually think what most people think of the prequels about the original trilogy, so hate me, but I really think the sequel trilogy is something special. I absolutely loved The Last Jedi, especially its character work.

1. The Last Jedi

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. Empire Strikes Back

4. The Force Awakens

5. The Phantom Menace

6. Return of the Jedi

7. A New Hope

8. Attack of the Clones

I grew up on the prequels, so I actually think what most people think of the prequels about the original trilogy, so hate me, but I really think the sequel trilogy is something special. I absolutely loved The Last Jedi, especially its character work.

The more I think about the Last Jedi the more it's becoming my favourite movie of all Star Wars movies too :)

update: suddenly I realized that, for all its faults, I prefer TPM over TLJ :eek:

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

The Force Awakens

The Phantom Menace

The Last Jedi

Attack of the Clones

hmm... interesting. Actually, TPM could have been a good movie if they just made Anakin about 10 years older and removed the midichlorians. But, they didn't and that helped to ruin a lot of the PT. Sad :t_frown:

• 2 weeks later...

Top to bottom:

Last Jedi

Rogue One

New Hope

Revenge of the Sith

Force Awakens

Empire Strikes Back

Attack of the Clones

Return of the Jedi

Phantom Menance

I've seen them all at the time they came out, so have enjoyed them all for what they were in the moment.

And the why:

First two because they are gritty and plain fun. I love the new characters. Rogue one is awesome: dedication to a long shot, how can you beat that? Last Jedi redeems emo Kylo and Mary Sue Rey.

New Hope is a classic. Especially for the time it was an eye opener and even now hard to beat. Still, it shows its age. Not quite up to the best of the new. Also has the dedication to the long shot element.

Revenge of the Sith: an adequate wrap up to a very disappointing prequel. Flawed, and best enjoyed if you skip the painful "Padme suddenly becomes a useless wimp" parts. it still has some impact as a wrap-up for Lucas' vision, such as it is.

Force Awakens: fun, but oddly too beholden to New Hope. Rey is a queen of the Mary Sues (more than redeemed in Last Jedi). Kylo is annoying emo sith. Fun to watch but not too strong.

Empire Strikes Back. Yeah, it's got character development. And it hasn't aged all that well and it's kind of slow. Middle of the pack, sorry elitest movie critics.

Attack of the clones. Not great or even good. Entertaining enough if you skip the awful romance scenes. Mind boggling why Lucas thought it was necessary to hammer that romance. Give the characters the grace to have a half normal relationship.

Return of the Jedi. If a great galaxy spanning empire can't defend itself against an early, early paleolithic culture then why bother? Yes guerrillas who understand their terrain are kick ***. No, teddy bears with bows made out of any old twig bent in the forest can't stop anything. Not even a bunny rabbit. Very stupid episode.

Phantom Menance: pointless movie. Does nothing for the plot. And, yes, even on a water world, pressure at the core is mind boggling. Pod race fun to watch if barely relevent. Midichlorians and all else painful.

Edited by qbalrog

I have a hard time ranking them because i love them all (ok so the prequels would be near the bottom)

I guess I would have to do a 4 way tie for #1

1. TESB, ANH, TFA, and TLJ - really can't pick one that i love more they each have their flaws and their perfect moments.

2. ROTJ

3. Rogue One - I actually coudln't decide if I wanted to put it on the list. To me Rogue one is the perfect EU movie. It's exaclty what I thought a movie based on the old EU books like Wraith Squadron or Scoundrals. A great movie that fills out the world. But like the EU books it has some big flaws and could have done with some tweeking.

4. TPM I'm probably in the minorty but yeah ths is my favorite of the Prequels. Something about the great use of different planets and unique characters it really gave us something we hadn't seen in Star Wars before. We gout our first taste of what it was actually like to live in Star Wars.

5. The Ewok Movies. Saw them as a kid and i still love them

7. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. Yeah these two movies made me give up on Star Wars for a long time. It wasn't until after seeing The People Vs George Lucas that I learned to give up on my anger and hatred and just accept them as fun movies and part of Star Wars. They are bad but they can be fun.

This is actually pretty difficult... Let's see:

1. A new hope - this is the one that started it all.

2. The empire strikes back - character development, getting introduced to Boba Fett, getting to see more of what Vader is about and ofc who can forget "I am your father"

3. Revenge of the sith - fitting conclusion to the prequel trilogy, the fall of Anakin... I actually thought Hayden did a decent job with the role in this one.

4. Rogue one - I thought this one was well done, gave us some back story, fleshed out the force some more and what it's about as we got to see more then just Jedi and Sith with the story of the Whills etc. I would like more SW that is not focused on Jedi in general.

5. The last Jedi - developed some on the new characters more and went even deeper into the idea that the force has a will of it's own and actively tries to achieve balance. I thought Luke's end was fitting for a relatively powerful but ultimately flawed Jedi which is what we saw in the OT. He was never established in the movies as any sort of powerhouse and I think the way they developed him was ok.

6. Return of the Jedi - the Ewoks while cute and funny bring this one down a lot. They are infinitely worse then the new funny little animals in TLJ because they actively change the outcome of the story. Requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief.

7. Attack of the Clones - I like me some bounty hunters and I like Jango too. Also like the all out war type scenario. Not so much a fan of the interaction between Anakin and Padme but it is what it is.

8. The phantom menace - fudged it with midichlorians and in general I thought it was not that great of a movie but I did like Maul... Was just sorry they killed him off so soon.

9. The force awakens - too much of a copy of ANH for me which was disappointing from JJ. Wish he'd gone in another direction but I can understand why he didn't judging by some of the reaction to TLJ which I thought was a far better movie personally.

Edited by Valceanu

-SNIP-

Dude, spoiler tags.

As for my favorites...it’s hard for me to rank them, because I have found ways to love all of them, but if I had to try..

1. The Last Jedi

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. Revenge of the Sith

These three brought us a lot of interesting twists, new perspectives on the Force and the philosophies around it, and built up more characters and made them relatable.

We had Anakin’s fall due to wanting to save Padme, Luke suddenly having inner conflict as Vader reveals the truth, and Luke’s failings and Rey’s humble origins.

4. A New Hope

5. Rogue One

I can no longer separate these two, as they go so well together. A New Hope having started it all, and Rogue One flows so beautifully into it. We also had two different perspectives: ANH focused on Luke and the Jedi philosophy of the Force. While Rogue One had the Force and dug deeper into some of the philosophy, it’s focus was a lot more on common Rebels, and that was really cool to me.

6. Return of the Jedi

7. The Force Awakens

Sorry, they’re good, but with the others it ends up lower. Watching it as I’m older, the victory of the Ewok’s is very odd. With TFA, it was a decent start, and I can see the complaints about ANH 2.0. But I still enjoyed it.

Also, for the record, NOWHERE in TFA does it say that Luke left the map himself. All that’s ever said is it’s a map to Luke, most likely the same one he used.

8. Attack of the Clones

9. The Phantom Menace

I have no qualms with Jar Jar. But it felt like there was a lot of discussion in TPM about yound Anakin when it wasn’t necessary. I know they had to squeeze in that he’s the Chosen One prior to Obi-Wan saying it on Mustafar, but it didn’t flow very well. Attack of the Clones, while some cringy dialogue, was fairly decent as it started the Clone War and Anakin’s downfall. I would say it would’ve gone better had Anakin’s and Padme’s romance hadn’t felt so rushed and creepy at times.