Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Star Forge Disconnects and now unable to log in

DentedHelmet

I was in a WZ and was disconnected twice. After rebooting and trying to log in again, I get the loading screen and the spinning wheel forever. No error message, no nothing. It just sits there. It's not my connection as I have no issues playing any other games and things were perfectly fine yesterday.

Anyone else with connection problems today?

I was eventually able to log in but certainly seems like there's something going on. I didn't do anything on my end, just waited about 10 mins and tried again and it worked. I don't seem to have any issues on the fleet. My latency is usually between 17ms and 30ms. Two WZ's in a row where part way through my latency went to like 8000 or some crazy big number and I was dumped to the server select screen, which was blank.

I'm kinda afraid to try another WZ now lol.

I’ve noticed that my routing to the server has changed again since last night, it’s back to where it was before they had problems earlier in the week.

Its probably because of the routing. If you go through level3, you can bet it’s them.

Im actually a bit annoyed they changed it back to them because I’ve always had problems with Biowares level3 connections.

Zayo is so much better. Bioware should just dump lvl3.

I logged on about 15 minutes after the OP. Did a GF FP, opened some command crates. Some of those bugged, logged off, then back on. That fixed my crate issue. Went to fleet, and saw a certain individual that used to beg for 50k on JC (I'm sure many of you know who I'm talking about) *CnOeUxGiH* then went back to my stronghold and logged. Was on about an hour with no other issues.

Could be a regional problem. /shrug

I'm in FL.

Edited by PorsaLindahl

Well, I was on for a bit and was able to run around the fleet, made some purchases on GTN ,etc. I logged off for about an hour or so and then tried to log in again. This time it came up with the server select screen. I selected my server and after a minute or two it popped up a message saying a connection error has occurred. So, I simply selected my server again - same thing. Third time though I was able to log in just fine. Fleet said my latency was 17ms.

It really seems like there is some issue with connections to this server but it kind of seems sporadic. Another poster mentioned something about routes from Level 3 so maybe they were on to something with that.

I'm in NJ and have no issues connecting to or playing any other games.

Lag without WTFast is now over 350ms. Up from 290ms last night.

Lag with WTFast is now 250ms. Up from 220ms last night,

I’ve tried routing around different areas with WTFast and the best I can get now is 250ms. I guess it’s still better than the 350ms I’d get without it. But I’m annoyed that I’m getting the extra 30ms.

Red x about 5 times now and 3 disconnects. All in pvp 🤨

Lag without WTFast is now over 350ms. Up from 290ms last night.

Lag with WTFast is now 250ms. Up from 220ms last night,

I’ve tried routing around different areas with WTFast and the best I can get now is 250ms. I guess it’s still better than the 350ms I’d get without it. But I’m annoyed that I’m getting the extra 30ms.

Red x about 5 times now and 3 disconnects. All in pvp 🤨

The thing you have to keep in mind is that this is a long holiday weekend in the US... one where a lot of families travel to spend time with one another.. and that includes playing games together, streaming programming, etc. This results in very heavy traffic loads across the backbones in the US... not from gaming... but from all the video streaming going on. US infrastructure is actually behind the curve from the efforts of major corporations to entice customers to stream, particularly as the streaming providers are rapidly moving to 4K streaming and people are gobbling up 4K TV sets and hooking them up to stream in 4K (which is a huge additional load to the backbones).

I'm not convinced the studio has much, if any, control to mitigate this on a holiday weekend. Even if they did.. they are not in the studio, or apparently even the data centers over this holiday weekend. I ran several ping plotter runs today to localize where the issue is for me (of course it varies by player since we are located in different parts of the world and have limited control over the hop points. In my case I am able to play with little or no incident other then occasional increase in ping time by ~80ms.... and the congestion point in my case is actually an AT&T backbone in Kansas City this afternoon. It's almost always an AT&T backbone that will impact me, and it is usually smack in the middle of the US (Kansas or Chicago being most common choke points for me). I am an ATT broadband customer, so it makes sense that a lot of my internet traffic routes through AT&t backbones.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that this is a long holiday weekend in the US... one where a lot of families travel to spend time with one another.. and that includes playing games together, streaming programming, etc. This results in very heavy traffic loads across the backbones in the US... not from gaming... but from all the video streaming going on. US infrastructure is actually behind the curve from the efforts of major corporations to entice customers to stream, particularly as the streaming providers are rapidly moving to 4K streaming and people are gobbling up 4K TV sets and hooking them up to stream in 4K (which is a huge additional load to the backbones).

I'm not convinced the studio has much, if any, control to mitigate this on a holiday weekend. Even if they did.. they are not in the studio, or apparently even the data centers over this holiday weekend. I ran several ping plotter runs today to localize where the issue is for me (of course it varies by player since we are located in different parts of the world and have limited control over the hop points. In my case I am able to play with little or no incident other then occasional increase in ping time by ~80ms.... and the congestion point in my case is actually an AT&T backbone in Kansas City this afternoon. It's almost always an AT&T backbone that will impact me, and it is usually smack in the middle of the US (Kansas or Chicago being most common choke points for me). I am an ATT broadband customer, so it makes sense that a lot of my internet traffic routes through AT&t backbones.

It’s not just the traffic. I’ve tested different routes using ping plotter. I’ve narrowed it down to level3 having issues two hops from swtor. Level3 always seems to cause people issues, I think most congestion atm is because other providers are getting increased traffic while people/ISPs try to bypass level3.

We actually had this problem about 4-5 days ago and it was level3 then too. To fix it, I think Bioware rerouted every5hing through Zayo. Even though I had an extra 9 hops to the server, it was still better than normal for me. The ping actually dropped and became more stable.

Then I decided to try WTFast and the ping dropped significantly. It was actually back to the same speeds I used to have on the west coast.

I was connecting through Zayo all week and then about 8 hours ago the routing went back to level3 and it’s turned to crap again.

Is that a coincidence, sure, but to me it shows it’s most likely level3

It’s not just the traffic. I’ve tested different routes using ping plotter. I’ve narrowed it down to level3 having issues two hops from swtor. Level3 always seems to cause people issues, I think most congestion atm is because other providers are getting increased traffic while people/ISPs try to bypass level3.

We actually had this problem about 4-5 days ago and it was level3 then too. To fix it, I think Bioware rerouted every5hing through Zayo. Even though I had an extra 9 hops to the server, it was still better than normal for me. The ping actually dropped and became more stable.

Then I decided to try WTFast and the ping dropped significantly. It was actually back to the same speeds I used to have on the west coast.

I was connecting through Zayo all week and then about 8 hours ago the routing went back to level3 and it’s turned to crap again.

Is that a coincidence, sure, but to me it shows it’s most likely level3

Yet I am not seeing any impact on my game play by anything Level-3 sourced. How exactly would you explain that??????? My impact is from an AT&T backbone in Kansas City. So, please explain how Level-3 is somehow a universal culprit here? I accept that it is Level-3 that is impacting you.... but clearly it is not a universal choke point with what is going on this afternoon.

By the way.... your issues with Level-3 that you are reporting... it could be something the studio has no control over, and you clearly do not have any control over it. In fact none of us has any control over your hops on the internet unless we are using a VPN or similar application that allows the user to pre-select one or more routes.

All that said.. I DO believe that different internet server providers can and are treated differently by the backbones, and I bet it has a lot to do with fees, fee savings, and maybe even some protocol issues. Just wait until the FCC in the US pulls the plug on net neutrality next month..... I expect things are going to start to get pretty squirrelly in 2018 in the US backbones.

Please note: Level-3 as a provider actually no longer exists. They were acquired by Centurylink a little over a year ago. There is a lot of consolidation going on with internet infrastructure and service companies right now in the US.

Edited by Andryah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.