Assassins - What is your spec?

ISpartanVI

Dont see many threads that showcase a list of specs from players and what they like about there spec. Thought i would start one. What level and spec are you guys and why do you like it?

I am level 22 and i am Madness spec. Dots do good amounts of damage, death field is strong, 45% chance to double shock, and i like the reduction on the cooldowns. I cant wait til i can melee crit and get a 33% chance of a free crushing darkness and make whirlwind an instant.

the chain shock damage is only 50% of normal and I am not sure if its buffed or not, so its 45% chance of causing 50% damage which is good, but not really something I would rely on.

Just think of it as 22.5% more damage over all the shocks you would use all the time.

I'm using 0/0/31 Madness for pvp atm (since I'm only level 40) and will go 7/3/31 in the end (http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200McMZhZcMfRrMkrfz.1). I find it greatly superior to Deception in pvp environment. I'd be also considering very similar spec for pve raiding purposes, but when we finally get dual spec I'll focus on tanking. Edited by Makhbet

Now that i have gotten a bunch of my pvp gear im wondering if i should switch my spare points out of madness, and into darkness for a more reliable increase, or keep them in madness for chain shock.

Heres what im using now

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200ZhGrRkhrbtzZcMc.1

This is the one im thinking of trying tommorow.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200McMcZhGrRkhMbtz.1

tanking seems interesting, i wonder how it fairs in pvp? seems to me deception is the popular spec, seems too straight foward, i like madness cause it just seems rather janky, doin all this dot dmg and runnin a muck. i was gonna go 0/10/31 or 5/5/31 depends on if the speed boost in stealth is necessary or not from deception.

Hi everyone I'm fairly new to this whole game in general, I'm LV25 and my skill spec is starting to look somewhat messy if I keep going at this rate. I didn't do much research on anything, all I wanted was to pick Assassin ^^;

After doing a bit more research I want take Deception route ^^;

So far my spec is 6/4/6 >_<

I realized that I'm definitely not going the route i intended too, so ill be resetting my skill tree very soon. But I need some expert advice, should I reset my skill tree right now, or wait a few more levels like LV30?

You should reset it right now.

You will be able to get surging charge (the mark of a deception assassin), as well as induction (for shock, another thing that deception does), and begin to get the force regen talent for surging charge.

Also blackout/darkswell will make you really feel like an assassin!

Edited by theonepanda

You should do it at 47.

You can get Raze then, and after that it basically plays out exactly the same.

Mayhaps I will.

I assume, based on your tanking compendium post, that you prefer the hybrid build over the pure Darkness one, correct?

Have you experimented with both or did you just choose hybrid initially?

This looks to me like an incredibly viable pvp build, but it seems odd that you would skip force pull and instead take 3/3 duplicity... I thought maybe you were intending to take this spec as a mainly tanking role, but due to a few different talent choices it seems more geared torward pvp... care to explain a bit?

Tried out all 3 specs now (I am level 26) and i gotta say i am dissapointed by assassin tanking and general survivability of all their trees so far. To understand where i am coming from, i do a lot of solo PVE questing, not PVP nor much of flashpoints.

Deception is the one i have had the most luck with. You are squishy, but you do damage as well. Only thing keeping me alive on difficult encounters is my channel the force (30 min cooldown.. yay) and being able to run away with force cloak (i dont die.. but i dont win either so wouldnt call that high survivability).

Madness is much of the same. Tried that now in lvl 26 and it is more DOT based but otherwise much of the same. I keep looking for Crushing darkness to proc, otherwise its most of the same stuff with shocking, discharing, maul/trash and spam your attakc

Darkness just felt WAY to squishy for a tank class early levels 10-20 (hell my dps specced sith juggernaut is less squishy because of his armor), so i quickly went to deception after my initial dissapointment and figured i would try darkness later when i had access to more of the tree. Got to be good then right? Well not at lvl 26 as far as i can see.

As darkness at lvl 26 i ran the nar shaddaa heroic(2+) at the terminal. After every single fight i had to stop and heal as i was down to half HP. I fought with level 21s.. either 2 strong + 1 elite or 3 strong. And I started each fight stealthed and took out one of the enemies with mind trap. Still.. half HP after each fight. Tried with both the dps and tank companions you have at that level and dark charge and lightning charge.

When (if ever) does darkness become a viable solo build guys? I feel stuck in this class as i dont want to play a glass cannon, you got sith sorcerer and sniper for that.. I really want the tank tree to work, but I'm leaning more and more towards just giving this guy up and rerolling from the start as a bounty hunter - merc and at least be able to wear heavy armor and heal me and my companion a bit while fighting..

My issues with Assassin levelling in general:

Regardless of spec no self heal (except madness and that is miniscule) or no heal companion so far. I was forced to take up biochem just to be able to heal my companion when deception or madness specced. Khem Val is toast if i cant get a heal in. Sorceres have heal, but assassins dont, but they are both squishy dps..:confused:

Edited by StaticVoidMain