The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Children

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Online games such as this one are not the appropriate place for playing house. While I am sure that most people would behave properly or be completely indifferent to any base connotations, so long as there is the risk of even one person doing unacceptable things to children or representations of children in a public space, this should not and never will be allowed. And there is a very high level of risk that players will behave inappropriately, using the perceived anonymity of the internet.

Online games such as this one are not the appropriate place for playing house. While I am sure that most people would behave properly or be completely indifferent to any base connotations, so long as there is the risk of even one person doing unacceptable things to children or representations of children in a public space, this should not and never will be allowed. And there is a very high level of risk that players will behave inappropriately, using the perceived anonymity of the internet.

While I think his idea is a bit silly. WoW has Childrens week, where the children basically do exactly that. There used to be a bug to make players be able to put a leash around the childs neck. But Blizzard fixed it as they didn't find it appropriate.:rak_03::p

Edited by Eshvara

I think 'children' are a neat idea, but maybe not so much as 'pets' in that they are passive observers that follow you around. I think they'd make great decorations that you could place in the strongholds, so that it feels like our characters have a family. It would be nice if we could customize them too, maybe by using the character customization kiosk.

I think 'children' are a neat idea, but maybe not so much as 'pets' in that they are passive observers that follow you around. I think they'd make great decorations that you could place in the strongholds, so that it feels like our characters have a family. It would be nice if we could customize them too, maybe by using the character customization kiosk.

Pets would be better cuz you can have them follow you on your adventures as well as place them on your SH as decors. Still I don't think they should be customizable since there is no character customization that would fit its size. I didn't want to use the word "pets" though cuz you know people get really edgy about it as if I consider them as actual "pets" (you know to make them eat in a bowl, catch the ball, get you the newspaper...) while the term "pet" here only describes the way the item works.

I suggest this cuz I really would love to RP my Inquisitor training his son and Im sure a lot of us would love to RP or even take our family pics with our companions and our children and adopted children.

Its not a bad idea, they would be pets so I'm not asking for romanceable stuff, they would be dressed and no way to change their clothes into immoral ways since they are part of the mesh model, and they would be obltainable via Cartel Packs as any other pet not by romancing anyone nor completing an indecent quest. You people saying this is a bad idea just for whatever dirty reason you have on your minds are just sick.

Children exist, children are people just like everyone of us, they have appeared in games (including online ones) in multiple roles, vendors, companions, quest characters, roaming NPC's, adoptable kids. Children exist in Star Wars as well, there's kid Anakin and all the kids we saw in Mos Esley in Episode I, theres child Jyn Erso in Rogue One, kid Rey in TFA, there's Baby Luke and Leia in Episode III, there's a lot of kids shown also in SW cartoons like Clone Wars and even Rebels, theres Starkiller kid in TFU, the Zakuul family as seen on KOTFE/KOTET trailers and the list can keep going further. Theres nothing wrong in including kids in a Star Wars game, specially ones you can't even interact with and will only be there to follow you and populate your strongholds.

I find this as weird as that whole child doll thing I saw in the newspaper about offenders not reoffending.

“Here have this, it’s ok to do that to this but not to a real child .”

Sorry just to me it’s like normalising the abnormal.

P.s. I use this game to get away from life, I use this game to get some time away from my kids and that’s why I hate spending time on the game during school holidays.

As.. unusual as this is because I do not want children following my characters.. but if we could have the option to customize their appearance, as long as they can fight somewhat I'm fine with it.

It would be a neat little backstory if your character wanted to have a kid, or your gay character decided to adopt a child, that would be quite interesting for role play.

Aside from that, there is No use for children to be added into the game, we already have them. :p

While I understand the idea behind this, it really wouldn't make sense for a child to be following us around.

We are fighting and a child should not be around us when we are fighting a war. If you think about it, children do not get to follow their parents into a warzone and that is essentially what our characters are on.

If they were just in the strongholds maybe that would work but following us into a warzone where we are fighting with enemies, nope I don't think so.

Pets would be better cuz you can have them follow you on your adventures as well as place them on your SH as decors. Still I don't think they should be customizable since there is no character customization that would fit its size. I didn't want to use the word "pets" though cuz you know people get really edgy about it as if I consider them as actual "pets" (you know to make them eat in a bowl, catch the ball, get you the newspaper...) while the term "pet" here only describes the way the item works.

I suggest this cuz I really would love to RP my Inquisitor training his son and Im sure a lot of us would love to RP or even take our family pics with our companions and our children and adopted children.

Its not a bad idea, they would be pets so I'm not asking for romanceable stuff, they would be dressed and no way to change their clothes into immoral ways since they are part of the mesh model, and they would be obltainable via Cartel Packs as any other pet not by romancing anyone nor completing an indecent quest. You people saying this is a bad idea just for whatever dirty reason you have on your minds are just sick.

Children exist, children are people just like everyone of us, they have appeared in games (including online ones) in multiple roles, vendors, companions, quest characters, roaming NPC's, adoptable kids. Children exist in Star Wars as well, there's kid Anakin and all the kids we saw in Mos Esley in Episode I, theres child Jyn Erso in Rogue One, kid Rey in TFA, there's Baby Luke and Leia in Episode III, there's a lot of kids shown also in SW cartoons like Clone Wars and even Rebels, theres Starkiller kid in TFU, the Zakuul family as seen on KOTFE/KOTET trailers and the list can keep going further. Theres nothing wrong in including kids in a Star Wars game, specially ones you can't even interact with and will only be there to follow you and populate your strongholds.

Sorry, I don't agree. Like Casirabit said, it wouldn't make sense to have a child running after you in warzone. Parents would want to keep their kids safe, or they'd be in school, like the Sith Academy. I like the idea of having them as deco, cause they you can have family and they'd be in the home, and it would make more sense, I think.

Sorry, I don't agree. Like Casirabit said, it wouldn't make sense to have a child running after you in warzone. Parents would want to keep their kids safe, or they'd be in school, like the Sith Academy. I like the idea of having them as deco, cause they you can have family and they'd be in the home, and it would make more sense, I think.

Since when the Sith Academy is a "Safe" place xD People die every hour in there.

Also didn't Anakin's mom, let a stranger they just meet days ago to take her son away? Why Quigon who was responsible for Anakin's safety allowed him to follow everyone to the assault to Theed's palace (which was pretty much a WARZONE). Why no one scold him about how dangerous it was to fly a starship right into yet ANOTHER warzone in space?

What about Leia? she didn't grew in a school or in the Organa Castle doing princess stuff she was traveling around planets on diplomatic missions even breaking the imperial laws by helping the rebels and getting into shootings.

Lets not talk about Luke, uncle Owen and aunt Beru who were responsible for him allowed him to go around the desert in his adventures with his friends, yeah that doesn't sound much of a deal till you remember Tusken Raiders (the Lars seem to have easily forgot what happened to Shimi for just going outside one day to pick mushrooms on the vaporators on your backyard), also the agresive fauna you can find on Tatooine, Jabba's thugs who doesn't really give a **** about respect and morals. If it wasn't for obi wan protecting him well... at least we still got Leia around.

Ahsoka wasn't even 18 when she was already fighting in Warzones A LOT OF WARZONES during the whole Clone Wars.

Han Solo was an orphan and he wasn't precisely safe at some orphanage, he used to rob and get in trouble with gangs to survive.

Starkiller was brutally trained by Vader during his childhood.

Jyn Erso, you know that story already guys.... Just take a minute to think and remember we are talking about the star wars Galaxy in a period of whar that leaves many orphans who will be pretty much picking up a pair of blasters while planning a big heist to earn the credits for their living, or as padawans to a Jedi Master who has to be sent if not to warzones at least to missions where is 90% possible you end up in the middle of a shooting or in throuble with the Sith, not to say that the less lucky ones are sold as slaves even as kids (*cough cough* Vette). And Mission (for those who know her) wasn in her 14s when she joined Revan and she was already involved in a series of troubles before that, This is the Star Wars universe we are talking about, there isn't such thing as "keep your kids safe at home" the galaxy is a harsh place, people know that the only options out there are that you learn how to handle a blaster or the galaxy eats you alive (sometimes literally). Kids in Star Wars are not the same as kids in real life, gawd!.

Edited by Saito_Hiraga

Well, with the Star Wars movies you're talking 3000 years later. Also, especially when we're talking about Anakin and the prequels, he's an anomaly. Where do we see all the little Jedi padawan munchkins in those movies? At the Jedi Academy, learning - we don't see them out and about in combat. There aren't any little kids hanging out at the Death Star, or with the Stormtroopers, or with the Rebels. Luke and Leia are 19 years old when they're seen in the first film - they aren't children. Even the Naboo system, which has their young people out there working pretty young, doesn't do so until they're teenagers (like Padme is 14 when she's queen).

In the game, notice that the Sith Academy in Korriban only has adults - the little ones are obviously off learning somewhere else (it's mentioned more than once in the game that there are stops before Korriban). The Sith apprentices and Jedi padawans we meet in the game are also older teens or adults.

I personally love that SWTOR is childfree, and I hope they keep it that way. I suppose as stronghold decos they might be acceptable, if someone chooses to have their character become a parent, but I agree with Casi that they don't belong on the battlefield.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Well, with the Star Wars movies you're talking 3000 years later. Also, especially when we're talking about Anakin and the prequels, he's an anomaly. Where do we see all the little Jedi padawan munchkins in those movies? At the Jedi Academy, learning - we don't see them out and about in combat. There aren't any little kids hanging out at the Death Star, or with the Stormtroopers, or with the Rebels. Luke and Leia are 19 years old when they're seen in the first film - they aren't children. Even the Naboo system, which has their young people out there working pretty young, doesn't do so until they're teenagers (like Padme is 14 when she's queen).

In the game, notice that the Sith Academy in Korriban only has adults - the little ones are obviously off learning somewhere else (it's mentioned more than once in the game that there are stops before Korriban). The Sith apprentices and Jedi padawans we meet in the game are also older teens or adults.

I personally love that SWTOR is childfree, and I hope they keep it that way. I suppose as stronghold decos they might be acceptable, if someone chooses to have their character become a parent, but I agree with Casi that they don't belong on the battlefield.

Well in Hutta as an agent, this mom of a Force sensitive child wants to send her child to Korriban to become a sith, his dad doesn't want him to go. So while we aren't shown children on Korriban, I think they do learn over there.

Well in Hutta as an agent, this mom of a Force sensitive child wants to send her child to Korriban to become a sith, his dad doesn't want him to go. So while we aren't shown children on Korriban, I think they do learn over there.

And a child is [potentially] witness to a murder, so it's not like the game spares children war-like situations, including the ones on Coruscant so desperate to survive they hoard a water station.

This. As I have stated I don't believe they belong on the battlefield.

Edited by casirabit

But in the movie, the younglings are slaughtered.

Yes and there are children killed everyday as well but doesn't mean we don't protect them because they would look "cool" in a game? I disagree, children do not belong in a game. Just because there were some in the movies doesn't mean we need them in the game. My opinion on this is not going to change as I don't think they need to be in game.

Edited by casirabit

Yes and there are children killed everyday as well but doesn't that mean we just try not to protect them because they would look "cool" in a game? I disagree, children do not belong in a game. Just because there were some in the movies doesn't mean we need them in the game. My opinion on this is not going to change as I don't think they need to be in game.

Ever play Skyrim? Kids are every where, roaming the villages, running around the houses of ranking jarls.

There are children in the game though. Although not in the way as the op requested.

From my recollection 2 are in the game. One with his father in Hutta (and none of my characters ever killed the father) and the other on Coruscant, who was looking for someone to find her brother. As far as I can remember I never saw any other children running around on Corellia which was a warzone nor on Balmorra and places like that.

And on that note I have stated my opinion and with that I wish you all a good day.

Edited by casirabit