The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Thanks for Theron Shan. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

DarthEnrique

In my more cynical moments I think it's because the developers don't want the straight ladies and gay guys to have any attractive, fun flirts. Now, I haven't started the new story, so this is may change, but it seems there is a whole roster of appealing ladies to flirt with, but for guys we get Malgus and General Shark do, do, do do do and then they go and ruin Balkar who was one of the few solid non-romance flirts from vanilla.

More likely the writers just don't know how to right a fun, charismatic, flirty guy and never understood what was appealing about Balkar in the first place. They missed the mark on more returning characters than they nailed.

I agree with you and I'm probably cynical most of the time about most things lol. I'm also bothered that many of the 'interests' lately are all scarred or marred in some way. Maybe that makes me shallow, but yeah. I know some like that, but me...not so much, probably why I favor characters/LIs like Quinn, Theron and Balkar.

What I'm curious about, and I suppose this is a teensy deviation from the purpose of this thread, so forgive me, but what happened with Balkar? How was he ruined? What did the writers make him do? (I know they missed the mark with many of the LIs and characters). I'm curious, my interest has been piqued, because I've only just had time to play through once and haven't seen all aspects of the story.

Edited by Lunafox

What I'm curious about, and I suppose this is a teensy deviation from the purpose of this thread, so forgive me, but what happened with Balkar? How was he ruined? What did the writers make him do?

I don't think it's specific things the writers made him do (except for that holocall outside the chamber, omg), it's more his approach and tone. He doesn't come across like the good-natured guy who helped the trooper in some difficult situations and was willing to bend the rules for a good cause. He comes across more like... what I suppose he is now... a handler. But not one who personally puts me at ease, one who makes me feel like I am being handled. His new flirts feel sleazy yet somehow perfunctory, like he is just eyeing us up physically almost in a throwaway manner - and, at the same time, doesn't even really seem to mean it. It more comes across like he's flattering us to manipulate us. In the trooper story I felt like he was actually attracted to FemTrooper.

My two cents, anyway.

Edited by Estelindis

I don't think it's specific things the writers made him do (except for that holocall outside the chamber, omg), it's more his approach and tone. He doesn't come across like the good-natured guy who helped the trooper in some difficult situations and was willing to bend the rules for a good cause. He comes across more like... what I suppose he is now... a handler. But not one who personally puts me at ease, one who makes me feel like I am being handled. His new flirts feel sleazy yet somehow perfunctory, like he is just eyeing us physically up almost in a throwaway manner - and, at the same time, doesn't even really seem to mean it. It more comes across like he's flattering us to manipulate us. In the trooper story I felt like he was actually attracted to FemTrooper.

My two cents, anyway.

Agree completely, well said.

I don't think it's specific things the writers made him do (except for that holocall outside the chamber, omg), it's more his approach and tone. He doesn't come across like the good-natured guy who helped the trooper in some difficult situations and was willing to bend the rules for a good cause. He comes across more like... what I suppose he is now... a handler. But not one who personally puts me at ease, one who makes me feel like I am being handled. His new flirts feel sleazy yet somehow perfunctory, like he is just eyeing us up physically almost in a throwaway manner - and, at the same time, doesn't even really seem to mean it. It more comes across like he's flattering us to manipulate us. In the trooper story I felt like he was actually attracted to FemTrooper.

My two cents, anyway.

The Black Talon droid that Imps sympathizers have to answer to, did the same thing with the holocall, and I had the same reaction...horror, mortification. After all that cloak and dagger business on Nar Shadaa, to call when you're like 2 meters away from the people you're betraying.

I thought perhaps they had Balkar do something really unusual in this new content...but the stuff you mention, I agree, I felt that as well, and wondered if I remembered him wrong, because trooper is a class I've only done once with a female toon. You're right, he doesn't come across as a pro flirt good time guy that basically tries to do right by people, that I remember in the class story. Something is missing. :/ He even looks a bit different.

My two cents, anyway.

That must be something like this yeah.

I remember something bugged me while meeting him at the start of JUS, he seemed different from what i remebered in the trooper story, but couldn't really put my finger on it.

Or maybe that was simply the fact he was flirting with my JK who is with Theron and as they're supposed to be friends i did not expect him to try to flirt with his buddy's girl.

As for some of the male flirt options, well at least Daeruun seems like a nice guy, but Malgus, seriously ? Eww...

I'd really like to be able to get Scourge for every class though, because i think he'd fit well with my SI, and maybe Arn, he could fit well with my JC, and both of them are still single as none of their vanilla LI were good match, Nadia is a creepy romance and Ashara... well, i'd rather put her on fire than romance her

Or maybe that was simply the fact he was flirting with my JK who is with Theron and as they're supposed to be friends i did not expect him to try to flirt with his buddy's girl.

Yeah, that was not nice at all. If he even did it in a teasing way, that'd be something else - a joke between friends, maybe - but so flipping sleazy is not okay. :mad:

As for some of the male flirt options, well at least Daeruun seems like a nice guy, but Malgus, seriously ? Eww...

Oh come on though, the Malgus flirt was hilarious. And the disgusted "ugh" from him was priceless. 10/10, would flirt again. :D

Edited by Estelindis

Oh come on though, the Malgus flirt was hilarious. And the disgusted "ugh" from him was priceless. 10/10, would flirt again. :D

I haven't played imp side yet, haven't even finished Onderon on my first pub toon.

I may take that flirt just for the laugh, but well, there is nothing i find particularly attractive with Malgus honnestly.

Yeah, that was not nice at all. If he even did it in a teasing way, that'd be something else - a joke between friends, maybe - but so flipping sleazy is not okay. :mad:

I think my JK had to try really hard not to slap him at that moment, she was clearly not amused.

My trooper definitely flirted with him only to get some reaction from Jorgan at the time though, that was quite funny.

Edited by Goreshaga

I think my JK had to try really hard not to slap him at that moment, she was clearly not amused.

My trooper definitely flirted with him only to get some reaction from Jorgan at the time though, that was quite funny.

See that's the spirit in which my agent flirted with Malgus, because it was funny and to get a reaction! :D I suspect that most people who took the flirt did it for the same reason, or for curiosity. But I guess if the game adds an option to romance Khem, there may be some people out there who actually find Malgus interesting that way. :eek:

It really was so funny yanking Jorgan's chain though. :) I am sufficiently a softie and a Jorgan partisan that I always esc'd out and didn't actually do the flirt for real in my proper cutscenes that proceeded forwards with the story. But I so loved watching him splutter and get jealous before undoing it, lol.

Edited by Estelindis

I do on every toon that can, just for that 'ugh'. It just amuses me to no end.

I also pick the flirts with Jonas on certain toons. One, as banter more than an actual flirt as I headcanon her, Theron, Jonas & co to all be rather close so it's more friendly goofing than true flirting. Two, so I will notice if it ever does evolve to more than just flirts (a romance option), in which case I can start preparing a Trooper just for him.

Jonas does feel different nowadays. Whereas previously, he was more serious and his flirts appeared to come from a place of genuine interest, now he's more Doc-like swinging his dingdong at anything with a pulse.

Edited by JennyFlynn

Jonas does feel different nowadays. Whereas previously, he was more serious and his flirts appeared to come from a place of genuine interest, now he's more Doc-like swinging his dingdong at anything with a pulse.

Just spat my drink out laughing at this, thanks for the good laugh. :D

I'd hate for us to go too off topic and get a time-out for the thread, so in regards to Jonas has there ever actually been any interaction between Jonas and Theron? I don't remember there being one? Was there anything in the Theron novel or is Jonas a SWTOR character only? I remember when my Imp went to see Jonas about the whole saboteur thing I was a little disappointed as I had Theron with me who didn't say anything. I'd love to have some jealously related lines with Theron, I can imagine him being as awkward about them as Jorgan. Even reverse if they like and let someone flirt with Theron and have my character being the jealous one. ;)

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

has there ever actually been any interaction between Jonas and Theron?

I think Jonas is a game-only character, but don't quote me on that. I just don't remember Jonas ever turning up in the novel. However, I believe it's implied that Jonas is Theron's guy in the SIS mentioned in the Havoc Squad KotFE chapter. Also, there was a short story published on the website featuring both of them. :)

Edited by Estelindis

I'd hate for us to go too off topic and get a time-out for the thread, so in regards to Jonas has there ever actually been any interaction between Jonas and Theron? I don't remember there being one? Was there anything in the Theron novel or is Jonas a SWTOR character only? I remember when my Imp went to see Jonas about the whole saboteur thing I was a little disappointed as I had Theron with me who didn't say anything. I'd love to have some jealously related lines with Theron, I can imagine him being as awkward about them as Jorgan. Even reverse if they like and let someone flirt with Theron and have my character being the jealous one. ;)

Not sure about the novel but there is a story-blog post on this site that pretty much started the whole Theron & Jonas bffs trend fans ran with, afaik.

Not sure about the novel but there is a story-blog post on this site that pretty much started the whole Theron & Jonas bffs trend fans ran with, afaik.

I think Jonas is a game-only character, but don't quote me on that. I just don't remember Jonas ever turning up in the novel. However, I believe it's implied that Jonas is Theron's guy in the SIS mentioned in the Havoc Squad KotFE chapter. Also, there was a short story published on the website featuring both of them. :)

Awesome thanks, will give it a read. :)

Yeah I was really disappointed that Jonas and Theron have no interaction and not even any dialogue like Jonas knowing your character is engaged to Theron and commenting on it or something. I'm still disappointed that there was no awkward scene with Jace Malcom for a character romancing Theron as well.

Oh boy, me thinks I upset Theron by not picking the light side option to stop Darth Krovos in Corellia :p oops

I saw the saboteur option! Dx I feared what would happen if I did not! TT-TT my LS SI is sadden by her hubby's upsetness

Same

In one breath, I'll be by your side forever. The next, he's storming out of the room. At least Koth asks you things before he storms off and gives you a chance to respond/listens. Theron, nup, he's that mad. It's almost as bad as if you personally killed the civilians.

See that's the spirit in which my agent flirted with Malgus, because it was funny and to get a reaction! :D I suspect that most people who took the flirt did it for the same reason, or for curiosity. But I guess if the game adds an option to romance Khem, there may be some people out there who actually find Malgus interesting that way. :eek:

It really was so funny yanking Jorgan's chain though. :) I am sufficiently a softie and a Jorgan partisan that I always esc'd out and didn't actually do the flirt for real in my proper cutscenes that proceeded forwards with the story. But I so loved watching him splutter and get jealous before undoing it, lol.

I think that's what i'll do, don't know if i'll keep it or esc afterwards though.

I always flirt with Jonas only for Jorgan's reaction actually, that's so funny.

And well it happens before the romance actually starts so no problem there for me.

I also pick the flirts with Jonas on certain toons. One, as banter more than an actual flirt as I headcanon her, Theron, Jonas & co to all be rather close so it's more friendly goofing than true flirting. Two, so I will notice if it ever does evolve to more than just flirts (a romance option), in which case I can start preparing a Trooper just for him.

Did he flirt with a trooper as well during JUS ? I couldn't find any vid where he did and none of my trooper if far enough in the story to see by myself.

Pretty much this. I guess that's also why it didn't go very well with my JK who had enough of Doc's not subtile flirting.

Yeah I was really disappointed that Jonas and Theron have no interaction and not even any dialogue like Jonas knowing your character is engaged to Theron and commenting on it or something. I'm still disappointed that there was no awkward scene with Jace Malcom for a character romancing Theron as well.

This i was really hoping for a reaction from Malcom on Iokath. He worked with my JK on Alderaan, was there when she was awarded the Cross of Glory, so he knows my girl, but nothing, that was sad.

Nothing from Jonas either, i somehow hoped he'd say something like "ah, he finally found someone" or something that would tease a bit about Theron being with my JK, but nope.

Well, there was nothing between Revan and Scourge either, which was sad as well...

Edited by Goreshaga

Jonas felt very much like he was flirting with you as if to get you on his side, especially as a Saboteur.

My Smuggler flirted with him to call him on his flirting, asking if the SIS had put him up to it and Jonas responds that they hate him mixing business with pleasure - however he felt almost... predatory in a few of the flirts and kinda smarmy on top of it which I don't remember him being during the Trooper story. It just makes the situation feel more like he's using you especially if Saboteur. Which is a shame as my Agent was totally into him, and then come Onslaught he didn't even get a flirt option as a Saboteur whilst my Trooper got a flimsy excuse to refuse his dinner invite. Sucks if Saboteurs can't flirt with him anymore, though if he/the SIS are using you, that may not be a bad thing. :( His persona definitely feels different now to the class story sadly, even in the Pubside flirts.

As for Theron, I made the mistake of picking the Saboteur line on my first Imperial who did it. Luckily for him he's not romancing Theron and I learned on my next Imperial (Inquisitor Loyalist) that the Light option would stop Theron stomping off, but I can't imagine how much it must suck to get that if you were romancing him. I'm hoping it's not enough to have him leave you or anything, that would suck considering as a Saboteur I picked that option because the Light 'that's monstrous' option didn't make me think anything would happen but you protesting (possibly blowing you cover) and the bombardment happening anyway. :/

It was only picking that option on another character that made me see that Vowrawn would have stepped in and stopped the civilian attack. :o I kinda hate this though because as a Saboteur I feel I should be picking every Saboteur option... but if there's going to be more things like this where Saboteur is apparently the wrong option, I'm going to end up paranoid I'll pick the wrong thing. I guess I'll make sure to do future content on my Saboteur Warrior first as he doesn't really care for the Republic and only went Saboteur out of spite of Acina and the Empire. (He didn't like Quinn being kept from him.)

Edited by Farferello

Did he flirt with a trooper as well during JUS ? I couldn't find any vid where he did and none of my trooper if far enough in the story to see by myself.

, and it seems more personal with a nod to their history. Not my video, I don't have my Trooper up that was yet.

, and it seems more personal with a nod to their history. Not my video, I don't have my Trooper up that was yet.

Thanks for the vid.

Definitely sounds better with a trooper, it's a bit sad though that he mentions Theron only to a trooper.

His line about him needing a night out would probably have won him a slight smile from my JK.

you guys must've hit different responses than me -- I have yet to get a tacky comment from him ( or I'm a dummy and just can't tell LOL )

It's ALL business -- nothing more -- I am undercover and that is that -- don't become "involved";

well, except for Theron, but he is a special case ...

I did, however, give him a reaming out for calling me where he did --

he should KNOW better ....

Fortunately, I did my first Empire run with a character who isn't in a relationship with Theron. I've never seen Theron that furious before! I hope he'll calm down a bit and won't turn against me later. I feel anxious about this. :(

I'll choose the LS option with romanced characters, that's for sure.