The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ep IX

QuiDonJorn

oh god, not Abram's directing this. well, my expectations are already low then. most of his movies are garbage.

This. He takes a formula, nicks everybody else's ideas and then forgets he's actually supposed to direct his actors at some point. Look at Rey's inappropriate smirking in Force Catatonic. That and Kylo "How do I lightsaber" Ren seems to be cast as a guy who's parents cut off his trust fund.

I will not be watching this "movie". I'd much rather be tied to a chair and be forced to watch all the series of Friends back to back with the laughter track on max volume.

I have reservations about Ron Howard directing Han Solo as well, if it's even slightly sappy.......

Or common sense and logic. Abrams hasn't a bloody clue how big distances are in space. It makes his "Star Trek" in name only reboots and Ep. VII literally unwatchable.

As opposed to doomsday particles and a whole menagerie of extra-dimensional beings? or space wizards and gangster slugs?

If you've been able to suspend disbelief up to this point, I really don't see how distances in space where FTL is commonplace, especially with hyperspace which is considerably faster than warp (weird infinite warp speed episode in Voyager notwithstanding), is a problem.

There are lots of things that you could reasonably take issue with, but I really can't see that being one of them.

As opposed to doomsday particles and a whole menagerie of extra-dimensional beings? or space wizards and gangster slugs?

If you've been able to suspend disbelief up to this point, I really don't see how distances in space where FTL is commonplace, especially with hyperspace which is considerably faster than warp (weird infinite warp speed episode in Voyager notwithstanding), is a problem.

There are lots of things that you could reasonably take issue with, but I really can't see that being one of them.

Well ... going through a planetary shield at light speed, then stopping before hitting the planet is hard to swallow.

I'm talking about Spock being able to *********** SEE VULCAN FROM VEGA.

I'm talking about them somehow being able to *********** SEE HOSNIA FROM TAKODANA.

It's ********. Utter ********.

I'm talking about Spock being able to *********** SEE VULCAN FROM VEGA.

I'm talking about them somehow being able to *********** SEE HOSNIA FROM TAKODANA.

It's ********. Utter ********.

On the Vega one, the semi official explanation seems to be:

Delta Vega was an icy class M planet in the Vulcan system. Its orbit carried it near enough to Vulcan that the other planet could be seen from Delta Vega's surface.

Where this is a different Delta Vega (in much the same way as their are a truly stupid number of Springfields in the US)

A bit weak, but then again, in a diverse universe of impossible stellar phenomena that has nothing to do with Abrams, this is an unusually easy one to explain. Of course, Star Trek likes to portray itself as scientific, though it really falls flat on a very regular basis

And frankly, complaining about physics in Star Wars really seems strange to me. GL never gave a damn about the physics, why would Abrams change the formula?

Why suspend disbelief for one director (who often isn't even the writer) and not another?

On the Vega one, the semi official explanation seems to be:

Where this is a different Delta Vega (in much the same way as their are a truly stupid number of Springfields in the US)

A bit weak, but then again, in a diverse universe of impossible stellar phenomena that has nothing to do with Abrams, this is an unusually easy one to explain. Of course, Star Trek likes to portray itself as scientific, though it really falls flat on a very regular basis

And frankly, complaining about physics in Star Wars really seems strange to me. GL never gave a damn about the physics, why would Abrams change the formula?

Why suspend disbelief for one director (who often isn't even the writer) and not another?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize other planets in the same system show up larger than moons in the sky. I'm curious; have you ever had someone point out Mars or Jupiter to you in the sky?

It's not that I'm unwilling to suspend disbelief. Faster than light travel and the Force are pretty clearly on the fiction side of science.

Distances in space are HUGE. No amount of "suspension of disbelief" will change that. For Spock to have seen Vulcan that close, Delta Vega and Vulcan would have to be tidally locked in orbit with each other. The destruction of Vulcan would have changed Delta Vega's orbit due to gravity, so quickly and so much so that it would have been either flung into space or fall into 40 Eridani alpha (the star Vulcan orbits) in a big hurry. For Han Solo to watch Hosnia being destroyed with the naked eye, he'd have to be so close that Takodana would have been IN the Hosnian system. Episode VII would have been real short if that were true, because everyone would have died at the end of the second act when Takodana also got hit by Starkiller base.

You can ignore some aspects of physics sometimes, but you literally cannot ignore the physics underlying the structure of the universe.

How really hard would it have been to have the patrons of Maz Kanata's bar watching the Hosnian system being destroyed on the Holonet?

Edited by Diviciacus

I'll reserve judgement until I see Episode VIII. If VIII ends up with Rey getting her hand cut off by Ren, while he tries to recruit her into the order to defeat Snope because they're cousins, I'll probably assume IX will be just as unoriginal with a return to destroy the death planet again.

I'll reserve judgement until I see Episode VIII. If VIII ends up with Rey getting her hand cut off by Ren, while he tries to recruit her into the order to defeat Snope because they're cousins, I'll probably assume IX will be just as unoriginal with a return to destroy the death planet again.

What if it's quite literally a 'Death Star' this time? They built an even bigger blowey uppy thing on a star this time :o