Any DPS Juggernauts doing okay in ranked?

Lundorff

How do you play ranked with a DPS juggernaut in the current meta? Even as a tank I burn though my DCDs in no time, and I can only imagine it being that much worse as a pure DPS. How much Endurance do you run with? Do you smash in head first and dish out at much damage as possible before dying, or do you take them for a run and LOS? What utilities do you pick?

How do you play ranked with a DPS juggernaut in the current meta? Even as a tank I burn though my DCDs in no time, and I can only imagine it being that much worse as a pure DPS. How much Endurance do you run with? Do you smash in head first and dish out at much damage as possible before dying, or do you take them for a run and LOS? What utilities do you pick?

Depends whats "good". I had never(*) played jugg before, token leveled one then did regs until valor 25. Then started sr. Around 100 games done and "highest earned" is 1371. I kite around 9 out of 10 games. Sometimes i get to free cast and thats when you are ripping people apart.

For utilities i take

Tier 1: Breaker cd reduction and ravage root.

Tier 2: Sundered debuff on smash and movement speed + root break on Enrage

Tier 3: Root on Saber Throw and movement speed on Enraged Defense

Tier 4: Chilling scream DoT and either Root break on Mad Dash or extra Reflect duration.

(can't remember name of utilities).

I know one jugg dps who got to around 1700 without tanking at any point. So i guess its possible to do decent, but more often it's not going to go too well.

And for gearing, i don't run any extra endurance. Neither does the 1700 jugg

Oh, and incase you are going to try it out, be Vengeance

(*) in 4.x i played Rage spec for like 1h (so basically never played)

Thank you, that was a very in-depth :)

Do you really feel the root on Ravage is worth it? Well I suppose you must.

And why Vengeance and not Rage? Better survival?

With Vengeance you can spread the dots and run away, while that ur doing good dps, as rage u have to stay to do good dps tbh.

Thank you, that was a very in-depth :)

Do you really feel the root on Ravage is worth it? Well I suppose you must.

And why Vengeance and not Rage? Better survival?

i take Ravage root not necessarily because it is good, but because other options aren't very good.

Also, sometimes you are facing teams where only 1 enemy chases you. The root is useful in that situation.

Also sometimes, !really rarely! ,stars align and you are free casting on a person with no root break or stuns available. You can root them for 9s and follow that with a stun.

And vengeance over rage because

With Vengeance you can spread the dots and run away, while that ur doing good dps, as rage u have to stay to do good dps tbh.

this. And also cc immunity after leap is pretty nice.

A dps juggernaut is not viable in ranked.

You are too squishy, and most ranked teams know to focus you. Unless you are on a team good enough to beat the other team without you, or have a dedicated healer trying to keep you alive, you're a waste of a slot as a dps because you are going to get focused hard 99% of the time.

If you want to roll jugg in ranked, it's recommended to go skank.

Edited by cool-dude

Having run a few matches today, it very obvious that dps juggs do not currently belong in ranked. I can cycle through all my dcds and still take ~300k damage within the first 10-20 seconds and die screaming. Running and hiding is the only real option, but both sins, maras and ops are excellent at given chase :p

The only upside is that no expects you to do well.

Bioware just ****ed up this class so *********** much.

Played yolos today in both rage and vengeance. Never again.

Just moving my jugg to the trash can for now.

Na Bioware just buffed other classes defensives too much (Sniper, Merc and Marauder) That other classes (Jugg, PT, Sorc) die incredibly fast compared to Marauders Snipers and Mercs.

Last season I was able get my dps jug from 1200 rating to 1690 and that was from about 600 games of total. Trust me do not play dps jug in ranked, you're just asking to get trolled and flame especially when you die under 30 seconds of the match. I don't care how extremely skilled you're at jug you will still die quickly and you're leaving your team a person short as well.

But this is how i went about it last season if you're still interested.

regarding the dps specs veng is the best viable option jug has when it comes to rank; due to it's invulnerability when you force charge, which comes with a 20% damage reduction as well, simple and powerful rotation. The utility I personally pick are warmonger (force charge literally your only way to disengage, beside from intercede of course), overwhelm (root players), pooled hatred (not sure if this was fix for veng, it would waste the damage increase on dots instead of the actual attack), unshackling rage (speed boost and immunity to movement impairing every 30 seconds), strangulate (faster this is off cd the better), war bringer (best attack in your rotation use it whenever it's proc), through victory (another way to create some distance, leap to a target or intercede to a friend as well 15 seconds off the timer as well), intimidating presence ( 5 second reflect is to good to pass up).

dcd rotation I use

reflect+endure pain (once I know I'm being attack, which will be 95% of the time once you leap in).

warzone adrenal (once reflect is gone).

warzone medpack (use it within the last few seconds of endure pain, you will gain additional health with this).

enrage defense+saber ward (as soon enrage defense is available use it with saber ward.)

you don't want to wait to long to use endure pain when you first initiate. most likely, once you go in the whole team will be ready to jump on you and you will lose a lot of health quickly. this is why i tend to use endure pain right when i pounce in and i know they're targeting me.

warzone adrenal is obviously to keep that extra health up before you lose it all within those 10 seconds you have it and the med pack is use with endure pain, because of the extra health you receive from the boost of endure pain.

enrage defense goes by quickly and easily can be burst through, so that why i use saber ward on top of that to keep my health at full as long as possible.

I don't think chilling scream is good in ranked just for the fact you can easily break your teammate's CC on a player, most of the time you will be kiting or engaging in little later awhile the team has tunnel vision on you. if you have a good group up of players that know how to cc properly, interrupt and focus you can win matches just going to take a lot more effort in doing so.

Edited by DanBlaster

Judging from Leaderboards http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/class/guardian-juggernaut

Yes.

Top is Guardian Ebon Hawk, which is a great pvp republic server btw at 1896.

2nd is a Jug Harbringer my opinion hardest to play on which is right behind.

So yes it can work, I am going to assume both are skank tank, its the meta in 5.4.

Edited by Caeliux

Judging from Leaderboards http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/class/guardian-juggernaut

Yes.

So yes it can work, I am going to assume both are skank tank, its the meta in 5.4.

yea I highly doubt anyone can get in the 2k+ just solely doing dps as a jug, skank tank is defiantly the way to go until we get a buff.

yea I highly doubt anyone can get in the 2k+ just solely doing dps as a jug, skank tank is defiantly the way to go until we get a buff.

It why there is some decent rated jugs, I play Focus and Vil alot and wanna tank but cant because the current meta is all dps and skank tanks.

Na Bioware just buffed other classes defensives too much (Sniper, Merc and Marauder) That other classes (Jugg, PT, Sorc) die incredibly fast compared to Marauders Snipers and Mercs.

Agreed. The proper response to fixing the survivability of the classes you mentioned (I feel Sins and Operatives are around where they should be) isn't buffing them to the levels of the top tier classes. Much smarter to nerf the top tier and provide some moderate adjustments to the bottom ones. TTK is already, on average, very high.

Yes.

If they're skank tanks, then they're not dps. Which means the answer is no.

As was already mentioned, you can be the most skilled pvper in the game and have full 248's, but if you queue as a dps jugg against players with equal skill (their gear doesn't need to even come close to yours), you're finished pretty much instantly.

Unless they modify ED to replenish percentage health for a set number of seconds instead of fixed health for a fixed number of charges, dps juggs will never be viable again. The next xpac may need to add another anti-focus passive called "Juggernaut/Guardian" (original I know) that does something like reduce all damage taken and done by 50% for 5 seconds. Damage done by the jugg would increase by 30% for each person attacking the jugg, further dissuading people from dog piling while the dc is active.

Edited by DsevenO

For some strange reason I am doing better (win/lose ration) on this jugg than with my 248 con-op. Often time I completely explode within the first 30 seconds despite going though all my dcds, but here and there I actually manage to be slightly useful. Interesting enough, I think some people actually like having a dps jugg on their team, as the focus is almost guarantee not on them.

And I have had more people praise me than yell at me :eek:

As was already mentioned, you can be the most skilled pvper in the game and have full 248's, but if you queue as a dps jugg against players with equal skill (their gear doesn't need to even come close to yours), you're finished pretty much instantly.

Unless they modify ED to replenish percentage health for a set number of seconds instead of fixed health for a fixed number of charges, dps juggs will never be viable again. The next xpac may need to add another anti-focus passive called "Juggernaut/Guardian" (original I know) that does something like reduce all damage taken and done by 50% for 5 seconds. Damage done by the jugg would increase by 30% for each person attacking the jugg, further dissuading people from dog piling while the dc is active.

100% agree with you.

they could make some slight adjustment to the current dcds we have like; making endure pain 20 seconds, enraged defense has it own built in saber ward mechanic increase time to 15 seconds with 20 charges, our saber ward could be something like marauder giving us cc immunity awhile being 100% protection from certain attacks, mad dash doing 25 meters instead of 20 also giving a cc immunity for like 3 seconds with a 20% damage reduction on top of that for the short period of time with a 50% speed boost and reflect being every 30/45 seconds instead of a minute, also removing the damage cap on it awhile being able to reflect all types of single type attacks.

some stuff i just came up with on the spot, idea give us more options to disengage without being rooted/cc to death.

adjustment to some current utility would be nice, most of the juggernaut's option are just straight useless and from what i can tell they were just being lazy when it came to that for this class.

Edited by DanBlaster

I know I said yes, I should of said no not dps, but yes it can work. Also lol dps geared tank is actually a dps somewhat, not TRUE dps but dps hybrid.

I hate it, trust me but its the meta due to people using a system that shouldn't be allowed.. :(

For some strange reason I am doing better (win/lose ration) on this jugg than with my 248 con-op. Often time I completely explode within the first 30 seconds despite going though all my dcds, but here and there I actually manage to be slightly useful. Interesting enough, I think some people actually like having a dps jugg on their team, as the focus is almost guarantee not on them.

And I have had more people praise me than yell at me :eek:

It gives them more time to focus on whoever your team wants to kill first. At least to me it is a bit annoying that the Juggernaut's role is mostly to kite and survive, but if you do that well you certainly help your team. Good to hear the experience has been positive lately.