Is orange gear a problem?

blacksunforzero

Yeah but if you keep all orange gear, you wont have any room left in bank. Anyways, most orange gear looks like crap for BH's.

You keep the ones you like, and sell the other. Most BH gear looks crap, you have the choice to like a generic BH from the movies with a different colour, or you can look like a pile of ****.

There's really not that much orange gear that drops. I mean i've only had a few. Besides..you could always sell it (assuming you don't equip it, so it won't bind) and make some cash. They sell for a decent amount.

isnt it bind on pickup? atleast it is with quest orange gear

Why waste 15-20 mins searching for mods in the ah, when you can just equip the green with better stats in 2 seconds?

Because you don't? You take commendations from all the quests and later when you are finished with that planet you trade all the commendations in for mods. Simple.

Because you don't? You take commendations from all the quests and later when you are finished with that planet you trade all the commendations in for mods. Simple.

True, but theres not a good looking orange set for BH's. I skip side quests so I probably dont come across them much.

I equip the one with the best stats. If a green piece has more stats then an orange, then I equip the green and vendor orange because didnt really like how it looked in the first place.

@Balbosa,

You should never be replacing your orange gear with green gear. You should always be upgrading that orange with higher level mods. I have never ran in to an instance where a green piece of armor is superior to my orange piece. The only way this should happen is using low lvl mods in oranges and finding a high end green. Anyways, I have been using the same orange gear since level 18 and using my commendations and credits to purchase better mods.

I could care less about looks right now, just trying to level.

Thats what I thought too...which is why i was surprised to have two heavy armor chest pieces, with the same exact mods in them, and one having a higher armor rating than the other. Was a head scratcher for me for sure but i just ran with it.

Some armor of the same type (light, medium or heavy) has different ratings without any mods. I stumbled across this too...but I had to head out of town before I was able to switch mods around in them and test it out. From what you've said, it sounds like those ratings remain different when equipped with the exact same mods.....which makes sense, unless it was a bug. I'll have to test it out when I get back. Someone in another thread implied that those ratings would basically disappear with mods and only the mod ratings would count but that doesn't seem to make sense as there would be no need for baseline mod-free ratings if they weren't going to count once you put mods in.

To answer the title question. I would say no, orange gear isn't a problem. All non-orange gear is the problem. Why make a cool system of allowing people to upgrade their gear if they like an armor model and yet not offer it on everything.

Greens are nothing more then vendor trash. If they were just the sum total of their mods at least there might be a minor upgrade with one here or there while leveling.

Personally I think they should get rid of the orange color completely and go back to having the color be determined by the average of the mods in it. You could further divide that by character level. A system very similar to this was in beta and I still haven't figured out why they scrapped it and decided the large majority of items dropped should just be sold to a vendor and never worn or used. There was so much backlash when they changed it in beta and I'm unsure if they ever mentioned why they did it. It is certainly less restrictive than it was the first build after making moddable gear orange, but still only a shell of what it use to be.

To answer the title question. I would say no, orange gear isn't a problem. All non-orange gear is the problem. Why make a cool system of allowing people to upgrade their gear if they like an armor model and yet not offer it on everything.

Greens are nothing more then vendor trash. If they were just the sum total of their mods at least there might be a minor upgrade with one here or there while leveling.

Personally I think they should get rid of the orange color completely and go back to having the color be determined by the average of the mods in it. You could further divide that by character level. A system very similar to this was in beta and I still haven't figured out why they scrapped it and decided the large majority of items dropped should just be sold to a vendor and never worn or used. There was so much backlash when they changed it in beta and I'm unsure if they ever mentioned why they did it. It is certainly less restrictive than it was the first build after making moddable gear orange, but still only a shell of what it use to be.

I agree with this... i doenst make sense at this point to have green gear, apart from selling... the should make all modified or perhaps nothing at all

Just throwing this out there, too lazy to read all the posts on the topic, but...

each piece of modifiable gear/weapons have no stats to them, except for an armor/damage rating respectively. Barrels give weapons damage ratings, while armoring gives armor armor rating. The other slots only give stats. basically, use basic 5th grade math to subtract the mod's bonuses to find the original stats (and by stats I mean armor/damage rating) of the unmodded piece of gear (That is, if both pieces look okay to you. Personally, most of the armor looks bad to me, but meh). Then, transfer the best mods (Either from the original gear, the other gear, or buy them) to the gear piece of your choice. :) I kept the same Panther Blah blah blah jacket as a trooper for a long time sense The Esseles :D