Please Allow Us To Return To Our Original Factions

Ylliarus

Your character wakes up from a coma, in a hospital on Corellia. All of your companions are there at the bedside. Your last boss fight was actually rougher than you perceived and you have been in the hospital for a month or so. You realize everything after Corellia was just a bad dream. :eek:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your character wakes up from a coma, in a hospital on Corellia. All of your companions are there at the bedside. Your last boss fight was actually rougher than you perceived and you have been in the hospital for a month or so. You realize everything after Corellia was just a bad dream. :eek:

But that also means that the Lana/ Theron romances were too .....

The possibility to choose your side (Republic, Empire or Alliance) would be really great.

It can happen in steps. Like make a desicion on Iokath, at the end of Umbra and at the next Update.

Then choose definitly. With the right implementation it would still be possible to tell one story arc with different briefing and debriefing scenes. You just fight for a different group and for a different reason.

The possibility of defection would be great too and something new for me in an mmorpg.

A clear no from my perspectiv to the it was just a dream scenario. I allways find this to be a completly lame approach.

Edited by Artowa

The possibility to choose your side (Republic, Empire or Alliance) would be really great.

It can happen in steps. Like make a desicion on Iokath, at the end of Umbra and at the next Update.

Then choose definitly. With the right implementation it would still be possible to tell one story arc with different briefing and debriefing scenes. You just fight for a different group and for a different reason.

The possibility of defection would be great too and something new for me in an mmorpg.

A clear no from my perspectiv to the it was just a dream scenario. I allways find this to be a completly lame approach.

I get why people would want it to be the dream scenario, like I honestly do, but that would be the worst thing to do in a story. Especially if you milked it out with trailers and everything like they had thus far. It would be a huge hit to the credibility of Bioware's storytelling and honestly ruin the game I am afraid.

I know Bioware's story team is skilled, so despite the fact they made us ruler of everything at the end of KotET whether as Protector or Emperor/Empress, I am sure they could make up a plausible story of why we'd go back to the Empire or Republic if that was the choice of the player. Maybe Zakuul would join the Republic or Empire depending on your choice and you'd be allowed to keep the title Protector of Zakuul or Emperor/Empress of Zakuul despite the fact you become part of your original faction again. It would be more a ceremonial title than an actual position of rule, you'd still be responsible for Zakuul to an extent as its leader but you'd still be able to be a Darth in the Sith Empire once more, or a Jedi Master fighting for the Republic. You'd simply rule the planet in name of your original faction.

Edited by Ylliarus

If it is well done, you could also tie this decision it to the betrayer arc.

Agree with the reasoning of the betrayer why the alliance is (a risk, a danger, lost potential, collapsing anyway or whatsoever) and join (Empire, Republic).

Disagree and save and purge your fraction with a great cost and loss of power for your fraction. (For more balance between the power of the three groups)

Edited by Artowa

If it is well done, you could also tie this decision it to the betrayer arc.

Agree with the reasoning of the betrayer why the alliance is (a risk, a danger, lost potential, collapsing anyway or whatsoever) and join (Empire, Republic).

Disagree and save and purge your fraction with a great cost and loss of power for your fraction. (For more balance between the power of the three groups)

Exactly, I very much agree with this. The Eternal Fleet could be sabotaged in a later story update by the traitor and a great portion is lost so that it's not this overwhelmingly powerful force but more of a sizeable fleet. It would remain under your command much like the Sith Inquisitor had the Silencer (what the heck happened to that btw, it's completely ignored in the story???) but you'd use the fleet in name of the Empire or Republic which would be a slight advantage over the other faction. A cool element could be that depending on your choice with whom to side the fleet's appearance changes. So if you choose Empire there will be more Imperial colours on the ships' hull but if you choose Republic idem dito. Naturally if you'd pick Alliance the ships would stay the same design as they are now.

Edited by Ylliarus

This has been something I was hoping for and wanting since KotFE finished. I hoped so damn much that in KotET near the ending we would be given the choice to return to our original factions and put someone else on the Eternal Throne like Senya, redeemed Arcann or heck even Lana or Theron. Because the slogans were "you decide who will sit on the Throne", so I naturally thought we'd actually be given a choice.

It's still not too late to allow us to return home. Please, in future story content consider that there are people who feel their characters are extremely out of place in the Alliance. Yes, there may be people who also love being Emperor/Empress of Zakuul (although I still wonder why we are almost never called that, instead we are still called Commander?) or the Protector of the Galaxy as head of the Alliance. But people like me really want their character to go back to the Republic or the Empire and see the story happen from either Republic or Imperial perspective. So please Bioware, I beg you, give us the choice to return to our original factions in future story content or expansions. That is all I ask, to have that choice available to us.

Would also open up the way for multiple stories, not just one, but 3, one Alliance, one Republic and one Imperial. It's heavily asked for to have multiple stories...

As long as I can have my Alliance Faction, only then would i be happy. Right now i HATE Both the Republic and Sith Empire, and don't bother to play that much because so much of what I have built the Devs are Destroying.

That, or i can always play another game.

Bioware pretty much can't win at this stage.

Destroy the Alliance? Catch flak from the people who are sick of Republic vs Empire.

Keep the Alliance? Catch flak from the people who want to get back to Republic vs Empire.

This is what happens when you write yourself into a corner.

I think it would be manageable.

Same content for all three fractions. (Help/Solve/destroy conflict on location X) to (gain support, stop them...)

If you are empire, prolog/debriefing dialog by lana.

If you are republic, prolog/debriefing by theron.

If you stay alliance prolog/debriefing by both.

different background (war-room for empire, republic, alliance)

Minimal change in dialog, slightly different script.

Edited by Artowa

Destroy the Alliance? Catch flak from the people who are sick of Republic vs Empire.

Keep the Alliance? Catch flak from the people who want to get back to Republic vs Empire.

But that is the issue, they cornered themselves because they won't give us the choice to have all three. The Alliance doesn't need to be mandatory destroyed, however, they can give us the option to let it wither and die subsequently allowing us to return to our original factions. That way all people will be content because those who want to play the Alliance, fine they can do that, but the other people who want to go back to the Empire or Republic also can do so.

Same content for all three fractions. (Help/Solve/destroy conflict on location X) to (gain support, stop them...)

And this seems to be like the most managable approach to it when keeping in mind that Bioware has limited resources. Of course I would have loved if an Empire, Republic and Alliance story would all have been different and unique, but the quoted post is the next best solution :)

That's more or less how it was with Forged Alliances/SoR. Your launching point and some of the cut scenes and interactions differed depending on your faction (ie, Lana asking you to do something extra for the Empire or the little class-specific quest on Rishi) but you were going for the same goal. It would seem both feasible and reasonable to return to that, and to add a third version for those of us who would stay in the Alliance.

I have to say as an Empire player, I don't want to see this happen. I HATE Lana and quite honestly have no use for her. I don't want to be forced to play republic to be able to get Theron. I would prefer if you stay Alliance, then you get your choice of them, which for me would be Theron.

I'm really sick of Lana being foisted on me, so tired of her.

I don't mind a third faction.. I would like the ability to either be part of the third faction or return to my original. I don't like the idea of being able to defect to the other side.

That being said, I'm tired of MMO's making me 'THE DUDE' instead of just a soldier or combatant in the struggle. I don't want glory... I don't want to be in charge of the alliance.. I don't want to be god king/emperor etc et al. I just want to be a little guy who made a difference.

That's more or less how it was with Forged Alliances/SoR. Your launching point and some of the cut scenes and interactions differed depending on your faction (ie, Lana asking you to do something extra for the Empire or the little class-specific quest on Rishi) but you were going for the same goal. It would seem both feasible and reasonable to return to that, and to add a third version for those of us who would stay in the Alliance.

Exactly and I know this won't be added into KotFE or KotET anymore despite the fact I wish from the bottom of my heart that they would do this, but I really hope it will be how the future is going to look. It would really be the golden ticket for Bioware to adress the high demand for multiple unique storylines because they could do three, one Empire, one Republic and one Alliance. It would require more work and resources naturally, but I assure you it would be so much worth the investment because not only would they draw back a large part of the people who left but also attract a lot of new players because they'll be able to truly say they are returning to SWTOR roots with multiple stories and choices that matter.

That being said, I'm tired of MMO's making me 'THE DUDE' instead of just a soldier or combatant in the struggle. I don't want glory... I don't want to be in charge of the alliance.. I don't want to be god king/emperor etc et al. I just want to be a little guy who made a difference.

E.X.A.C.T.L.Y.

You have no idea how badly I crave this and actually miss this. Sure have us be a Darth, have us be the Wrath, we'd be part of the top of the hierarchy but not the actual top of the top. That's boring and not interesting it is way more intriguing to be below that and try to enforce change there. It provides much more meaning to your actions and depth as to why you do it or how. Making us the leader of the Alliance as well as the ruler of everything subsequently was one of the biggest narrative blunders Bioware made with SWTOR in my honest opinion.

Edited by Ylliarus

There is a way to have all of the 3 factions in this game. Iokath should Not have happened in my view, very poorly done where we were actually forced to choose a faction, even if we still hate ourselves for choosing a side we hate.

Exactly and I know this won't be added into KotFE or KotET anymore despite the fact I wish from the bottom of my heart that they would do this, but I really hope it will be how the future is going to look. It would really be the golden ticket for Bioware to adress the high demand for multiple unique storylines because they could do three, one Empire, one Republic and one Alliance. It would require more work and resources naturally, but I assure you it would be so much worth the investment because not only would they draw back a large part of the people who left but also attract a lot of new players because they'll be able to truly say they are returning to SWTOR roots with multiple stories and choices that matter.

E.X.A.C.T.L.Y.

You have no idea how badly I crave this and actually miss this. Sure have us be a Darth, have us be the Wrath, we'd be part of the top of the hierarchy but not the actual top of the top. That's boring and not interesting it is way more intriguing to be below that and try to enforce change there. It provides much more meaning to your actions and depth as to why you do it or how. Making us the leader of the Alliance as well as the ruler of everything subsequently was one of the biggest narrative blunders Bioware made with SWTOR in my honest opinion.

Okay, then, it's your peoples Fault then, if you don't like being "The Dude or Dudette". Everyone knew 6 years ago and some of us before then, that SWTOR is about Us Being the "Hero". This game was made that way. And you guys are whining about what this MMO is All about!!!

Pathetic, play another game then, because this game is for Heroes, just like we were in KOTOR 1 and 2. Or Ultimate Villain for these games. Look at all the past Bioware interviews of before game launch and after, then you Will see that Either we are the Heror or the Ultimate Villain, and maybe in between. But it's supposed to revolve around Us.

Edited by MandFlurry

Okay, then, it's your peoples Fault then, if you don't like being "The Dude or Dudette". Everyone knew 6 years ago and some of us before then, that SWTOR is about Us Being the "Hero". This game was made that way. And you guys are whining about what this MMO is All about!!!

Pathetic, play another game then, because this game is for Heroes, just like we were in KOTOR 1 and 2. Or Ultimate Villain for these games. Look at all the past Bioware interviews of before game launch and after, then you Will see that Either we are the Heror or the Ultimate Villain, and maybe in between. But it's supposed to revolve around Us.

You completely and utterly misunderstand what we are talking about. Did I ever mention that I don't like being a hero? No, not at all. Did I say I don't like that we were put in charge of the galaxy? Yes. Because that is what I am talking about, let us be a hero as a Darth, a Jedi Master or someone else high ranking sure that is fine. But what I think is always a blunder story wise is to put the player's character on a throne or in charge of almost everything. Our character should never have gotten their hands on the Eternal Fleet, it's way too overpowered and godmode.

Also, you say a story must revolve around our characters. That is exactly what I want in this game, it's what we had in the vanilla game, RoTHC and SoR, which was what made me fall in love with the narrative. But with KotFE and KotET we became a spectator while Arcann, Vaylin, Valkorion, Senya, Lana and Theron all became the characters the story revolved around. I am a big supporter of returning to the original class stories where the story actually revolved around our characters, because that's not present in the latest two expansions. So yes, MandFlurry, I am actually "whining" about becoming the center of the story again, not standing in the center as a spectator right now.

So before you go off on a rant next time and accuse us of whining, actually read carefully what is being said, think about it and then write a response. Because now you missed the nail with the hammer completely...

Edited by Ylliarus

You completely and utterly misunderstand what we are talking about. Did I ever mention that I don't like being a hero? No, not at all. Did I say I don't like that we were put in charge of the galaxy?

It gets worse, on Iokath there is talk about becoming a god...

I do think they're leaning a little in this direction with the choice they gave about aligning with one faction or the other on Iokath, as well as the decision to become Emperor/ess or a Peacekeeper. And they've pretty much let the player shape a lot of the characters around them - you didn't have to play through the end of KOTET with Arcann and Senya if you hated them, and I appreciated that. So I think as time goes on, assuming they continue with actual story at some point, there will be more opportunities to shape things as you wish.

(And it always makes me incredibly sad to see all the Lana hate - but at some point perhaps the game will let you choose her, Theron or another companion as your chief of staff)

I will say that I like being in charge, rather than being a Darth or the Wrath. In the SoR storyline, my character made a comment that she was sick of running everyone else's errands for them. I actually feel that way too. It's nicer to have the ability to be the one making decisions and telling people what to do than to be, "Hey, Wrath/Darth Nox, here's yet another person we need you to assassinate, since we can't be bothered to do it ourselves." If the storyline actually does have the character become a god - dude, bring it. She can travel around the galaxy like Thor having adventures.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I have to say as an Empire player, I don't want to see this happen. I HATE Lana and quite honestly have no use for her. I don't want to be forced to play republic to be able to get Theron. I would prefer if you stay Alliance, then you get your choice of them, which for me would be Theron.

I'm really sick of Lana being foisted on me, so tired of her.

In the beginning when we first met, there should have been an additional choice;

4. Kill Lana :p

I don't Dislike Lana; what I do Dislike is that character being forced on me at every mission now and my chosen companion sent away. Being able to choose which companion accompanied us at any given time was also something SWTOR totted but has changed with this Zakuul story. I never intended to be the Emperor, Savior or any kind of "Galactic SuperHero (or villain)" the character/story I chose reflects that. I think all this Discord about the changes and companions brought on Since Zakuul shows this phase (I hope) has gone on too long. What's started as ok or good has evolved into I'm tired of or worse. Personally, I never trusted her from the beginning.

I don't Dislike Lana; what I do Dislike is that character being forced on me at every mission now and my chosen companion sent away. Being able to choose which companion accompanied us at any given time was also something SWTOR totted but has changed with this Zakuul story.

I actually also hate having to run chapters with companions I dislike, especially since I usually don't want to bother spending time and credits to raise their influence and they're thus pretty useless to me. But that's not just a Lana thing. In the 25 chapters of KOTFE/KOTET - she's your only companion for exactly 3 chapters. If you kill Senya and Arcann, it's her and Theron for another two. Other than that you're running the content with a bunch of others.

It would be nice if they gave you more choices about who you wanted to bring on all missions, the way they did in that one chapter where you could choose Koth or Senya.

That's what I liked best about the Vanilla stories, WE were important, the end all, be all. That feeling was lost somehow when it became Keeping up with the Valkorions. (I think it grew out of the fact that suddenly there were people supposedly more awesome than we were. I didn't like that. ;) )

Whether I'm the hero or the villain, the story should be all about me. :D Ok, well, maybe not 'me' me, but my character 'me'. And your character 'me'. And their character 'me'...

Ok, I just wanna be important lol. :o:p

Edited by Lunafox

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.