not a bad game but.........

JediLiam

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

lol enough of the sarcasm, i never claimed to be a majority, i only claimed a lot of us would rather play SWG

Star Wars Galaxies was a game created for those Star Wars fans who wanted to be Uncle Owen. A moisture farmer who lashed out as his adopted child for daydreaming about heroics and not keeping the droids clean.

Star Wars The Old Republic is a game created for people who want to be Luke Skywalker or Han Solo.

That's the biggest distinction between the two.

Well that's your problem. SWG has shaped your expectations of this game, which is a direction that the development team here didn't take. For a couple of reasons, though the most obvious one being, they weren't going to make the game like SWG since SWG was already made.

This game is social. I've met people. I've grouped. It's fine. It's not like SWG. But it's definitely functional.

I think one of the biggest mistakes people make about this game is they expect too much right out of the box. This game will add more depth to its content as it evolves.

And you know, for some perspective, I'll cite Star Wars Galaxies. When it launched, there were multiple broken classes. Including the one I was playing, Commando. I could not get XP properly in that class. For well over a month. And to add to that, various mission termnials on Naboo were broken, not giving missions.

THIS game, however, I get to finally play a Commando. From the start. No bugs in my way.

See? It's all going to be A-OK in the end.

Did i ask for heroics? did i ask for GCW? no, i asked for a COMMUNITY, not an SWG 2, but believe me, i would take that over this any day

Star Wars Galaxies was a game created for those Star Wars fans who wanted to be Uncle Owen. A moisture farmer who lashed out as his adopted child for daydreaming about heroics and not keeping the droids clean.

Star Wars The Old Republic is a game created for people who want to be Luke Skywalker or Han Solo.

That's the biggest distinction between the two.

You obviously never played SWG.

lol enough of the sarcasm, i never claimed to be a majority, i only claimed a lot of us would rather play SWG

yes, and there were not enough of you to keep the game alive.

SOE completly ruined that game for me. After playing a game with some real content, i realized I had no wish to ever go back to that game.

As for SWG being a sandbox, I am fine with that model, but at least give me a shovel and bucket to make a sand castle and have some fun.

SWG = sandbox

SWTOR = Disney World

SOE completly ruined that game for me. After playing a game with some real content, i realized I had no wish to ever go back to that game.

As for SWG being a sandbox, I am fine with that model, but at least give me a shovel and bucket to make a sand castle and have some fun.

SWG = sandbox

SWTOR = Disney World

There were plenty of us, Lucas just did not want competition, they wanted Star wars:WOW and they may just have that with this game

SWG = sandbox

SWTOR = Disney World

You can call it what you want but the truth is the truth. This game does not have 1/3 of what SWG had packed in it. Not even remotely close.

This game by any standards is a major step down from what SWG had in it.

you can call it what you want but the truth is the truth. This game does not have 1/3 of what swg had packed in it. Not even remotely close.

This game by any standards is a major step down from what swg had in it.

this guy also gets it!

You can call it what you want but the truth is the truth. This game does not have 1/3 of what SWG had packed in it. Not even remotely close.

This game by any standards is a major step down from what SWG had in it.

Are you insane, by level 10 have seen more content than I had in my 2+ years of playing SWG.

95% of my time spent on SWG was like this

Log in, go to my harvesters, get my minerals, check if I need to move my harvestes, move them if necessary. Go check out my player city, go to my store, restock my vendors, maybe do a factory run if needed.

Log off, and log on my other crafter and repeat above.

Log off, log on my BH and go look for people in cities, get some doctor buffs from an AFK doctor, get some music buffs from an AFK musician. Maybe see 3 or 4 other people online, maybe say hi, maybe add them to friends list to never see them again, hten go look for jedi to hunt, find one, only to have them exploit and log off when I am about to secure a kill.

I don't recal any of this amazing socialization. I had 4-5 friends that were online often. I couldn't find anyone else that was online often, and even if they were, there wasn't anything to do with them aside from grind or chat.

Edited by Maigrey

You obviously never played SWG.

I absolutely did. For its first 60 days.

In those two months, the game was released INCOMPLETE. Classes were broken. Multiple classes were released broken. Mission terminals were broken. Faction points and penalties did not exist. Server lag was terrible. Disconnects were rampant. Certain things (bounty hunters with carbines) were decried as horribly overpowered.

There was zero space combat.

Language learning could be exploited.

Yeah, I played SWG.

It eventually got better. But you folks aren't willing to give this game the same 90 days that SWG needed to get even remotely off the ground.

It's rather hypocritical, but makes for entertaining reading.

If there is not a mass exodus from this game in the next few months I will be completly shocked.

How Lucas Arts is selling people on this game is just pure proof that Star Wars fans are truely just that. Fans no matter what.

Lucas Arts had it right the first time with SWG. He should have followed thru with what he started. Not gone backwards by being a little lame WOW copycat.

Shame on you Lucas Arts. Your supposed to set the road for others to follow, not copy someone elses invention. Shame on you!

You have it right with SWG. You set the bar and now you yourself can not even reach it because you sold out to money trying to steal someone elses thunder.

Let WOW be WOW. You dont need to follow. You need to lead!

I absolutely did. For its first 60 days.

In those two months, the game was released INCOMPLETE. Classes were broken. Multiple classes were released broken. Mission terminals were broken. Faction points and penalties did not exist. Server lag was terrible. Disconnects were rampant. Certain things (bounty hunters with carbines) were decried as horribly overpowered.

There was zero space combat.

Language learning could be exploited.

Yeah, I played SWG.

It eventually got better. But you folks aren't willing to give this game the same 90 days that SWG needed to get even remotely off the ground.

It's rather hypocritical, but makes for entertaining reading.

If you love TOR so much, why are you not playing it?

at least SWG had a lot oF CREATIVITY!

Edited by JediLiam

I never considered myself an MMOer, but I had played SWG for a year. I never really understood why I needed to fight, and everyone seemed way better at it than I ever was. I eventually joined a guild and ran the local "mall" in person. I really enjoyed it. I made the proper calls, and served food and drink. I would even hire the "local talent" to entertain our shoppers. That lasted about 3 weeks until I realized I was paying monthly to do other peoples chores. lol. It wasn't a bad thing, it just wasn't what I wanted from a game.

I REALLY like TOR because it has a story. So far, it's great. I like the fantasy of being a hero, even though I might not be as combat savvy as the next person. But I'm glad they did a great job at making me feel involved in the Star wars universe.

I think chat bubbles would certainly add to the immersion. I really like Role Playing. But, in my opinion, I really appreciate the direction this game took. But I also understand that adding more options to make this game more social isn't necessarily a bad thing if they implement it properly. It would be nice to have a zone filled with player shops if they make it feel right.

I think a good example would be a space station of pods. A player can rent a pod, and hire a shop keeper. When people travel to the area, they can select which space station to land on. Thus, every pod within the space station's community would be encouraged to work together to promote their space station. Kind of like what a guild does...would be cool.

In either case, I'm not totally into that kind of immersion on a regular basis. It may be interesting at some point, but I notice that other people like that kind of thing. I think it's important for us to keep an open mind. Nevertheless, this game has many strong points (particularly it focus on story telling) and I think it does that wonderfully.

So, I raise my glass to a wonderful future, and I look optimistically ahead. Lets make this a great new year, and BE the game we want to see. OP, from now on, I'll try my best to be more social and RP just that much more. I think the initial "anti-social" behavior (and I say that loosely) is just a manifestation of the fact that we are all captivated by the great story telling. Soon, that will pass and we will enter a new phase of the game.

I have a strong feeling that it will be much more social than it is now. Thanks for sharing. :) May the force be with you.

Edited by VChiaz

at least SWG had a lot oF CREATIVITY!

I am playing it. I do enjoy it.

SWG had some creativity. It definitely got better with time. But it had a terrible launch, and had so many more showstopper gameplay affecting bugs on its release. Give TOR the time SWG had to get its act together (C'mon, the game didn't even have ships in it till its first EXPANSION) ... and TOR will get around to dealing with the majority of issues people are complaining about right now. 60 days and I bet a lot of the server lag, some of the UI issues, and some of the social functions get some work.

60 days. SOE was just getting started making SWG playable after those first 60.

How crazy it is that so many of you SWG fans forget what those first couple of months were like.

:( why such a troll, is this the example of the SWG community?

TBH I don't think I ever seen SWG forums as negative as these are. Not even after the NGE. In case you have not noticed there are alot of people that are not very happy with this game right now.

TBH I don't think I ever seen SWG forums as negative as these are. Not even after the NGE. In case you have not noticed there are alot of people that are not very happy with this game right now.

And a lot of people unhappy into being forced to play this if they want a star wars game that is at least remotely mature, lol, lucas arts seemed scared of SWG and see it as a threat toward TOR ROFL

Its not trolling, its asking a question

This is not a question that furthers any kind of discussion, this is a silly question that has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with trolling and derailing a discussion.

It is poor manners, and is overused by fail trolls on every gaming forum for every game.