Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now i didnt read every post because it was abit to many. And i would geuss everything im thinking has been said already. But ill post anyway.

When i first started using slicing i thought "holy crap, this is to easy" and expected it to be nerfed down alot.

What i did not expect was for it to go from overpowerd to useless in one patch.

Now in stead of making alot of credits to buy stuffs other people craft. You lose money.

Not only is the giveback of the boxes usualy lower then the mission cost.

But there is always the possibility of failing wich is automaticly a 100% loss of the money.

Then ofc you can get schematics and Augments. But they are usaly not worth much at the galatic trade thing.

It would be nice if the slicing skill atleast had a higher chans of giving more credits then it costs to use it.

You get more use of other craft skills selling good things to players, but have spent to long time with slicing so dont realy want to remove it and start from scratch with another gather skill.

The high amount of credits (wich was abit to much in the beginning) made it possible to buy stuffs from other players but can now not afford to keep the other proffesions running, now its better to just not use slicing and grind mobs for stuffs to sell, then waiting 40min for a "Rich box" usaly worth less then the money spent on it.

But people will complain about something always (inkl me), and everytime its changed it will piss someone else of. I dont realy see the slicing skill to go back to making alot of credits in a few hours. But it would be nice to have a higher chans of actually making any Credits at all.

In short, slicing went from the best crew skill (due to overpower) to not realy be worth the space it takes.

you can get money boxes, augments, schematics and missions from slicing

Augments = worth nothing, sell it at the trade center for no profit or use it wich also makes no profit and rearly get an augment you want to use.

Schematics = Can be worth alittle but not always as much as used to get them. Can some times (but usaly not) be used by yourself, if you did not pick slicing just for the reason to get money and not have to craft things

Mission = Can be of some use to give extra stuffs when using other gather proffesions, and can sometimes give "alot" more then you used for the run to get it, when sold. BUT the rate to get a mission worth anything is also pretty low.

Money boxes = Not realy good for much then to get money. But to spend 1900 credits, send you companion on the mission so you cant use the companion for 30-40min. And then get a credit box wich only use is to give credits. Gives you less then you used for the mission. Not only that, but your companion can fail the mission giving you nothing.

Anyway, this will be the end of the message soon. Dont want to spit out any more randomness :p

So lower the amount you get again. But also make it so you get the boxes worth more then you spend, abit more freaquent so it feels like the skill is of some use atleast.

Other then that and a few minor things, the game itself is awsome.

Yup.

+1

What i've found is one way to make creds is don't focus so much on the mission aspect as the finding the computers and the mission aspect thats what makes me creds even after they've nerfed it I havn't had any problems with the slicing system as long as I focus on rich/bountiful boxes, no im not getting as rich as fast but im still gaining money and a lil bit at a time adds up for me and im still not being killed by my repair cost,so ya the nerf sucks because I make a lil less money however its not the end of the world least not for me.... ^-^

I've been using Treasure Hunting since early access and Slicing since after the nerf and they both seem to return about 50% - 80% of the credits if I get a money box thing.

On the other hand sometimes I get a schematic I can potentially sell for the rest of the cost if not more, and with Treasure Hunting I get green weapons or armour often that I sell to recoup the cost. Occasionally I get an orange with mods already inserted or a blue so they seems pretty good to me.

Plus both rank up quite well, if you guys feel the slicing nerf is to much try out treasure hunting, sell the items to a vendor to make money back, or sell on trader to maximise profit.

I've even called out in general for the first person to whisper me they want an object I link , and the first person gets it mailed free lol.

Switching to Treasure Hunting does not change that slicing needs to be re-fixed. Right now, If one mission fails, it will take roughly 7 more missions @ 30 minutes a piece to recover the cost. Most of my missions have returned -200 credits or more. Very few have had positive yield, generally not more than +200 credits.. It is frustrating that nearly 2000 posts later, still no official response or statement.

It is frustrating that nearly 2000 posts later, still no official response or statement.

The holidays might have something to do with it though. Tomorrow is the legal holiday for New Years so after that, there had better be lots of gold text in these forums.

The holidays might have something to do with it though. Tomorrow is the legal holiday for New Years so after that, there had better be lots of gold text in these forums.

There's a lot of hope for that ;)

There have been quite a few issues brought up all around, but crew skills (not just slicing, mind you) is one of the most important ones to me and many others.

With slicing, you don't send your crew out to missions. As with any skill, sending companions is a loss. Sending them out is only to get augments/schematics/missions.

There are tons of boxes when you go out questing. That's where pure credits comes from. On Taris I was getting ~1k per box.

Slicing is fine post-nerf. And no, I did not make a mil credit with it or anything. Treat it like any other skill.

With slicing, you don't send your crew out to missions. As with any skill, sending companions is a loss. Sending them out is only to get augments/schematics/missions.

There are tons of boxes when you go out questing. That's where pure credits comes from. On Taris I was getting ~1k per box.

Slicing is fine post-nerf. And no, I did not make a mil credit with it or anything. Treat it like any other skill.

So its fine that you have a crew skill with the possibility to send your companion out on mission, BUT its pointless to do so (unlike the other crew skills)? If thats the case, remove all slicing mission that gives you lockboxes. Honestly, whats the point? And also, remove all missions from the other crew skills that actually give you anything when sending out companions. Sending out companions should drain your credits and give you nothing after all. Right?

I want to know where are all these boxes at! I can run around for 6-8 hours doing missions and if I am lucky, I will actually see MAYBE 10-15 of them if I am lucky and I have them turned on, on my radar. Most nights I might get like 5 of them in the same time frame. Oh and just because I see 15 of them, doesnt mean I can loot them. usually about 25% of those are bugged and cant be looted.

it's a simple lie, he probably doesn't even have slice. you are lucky if you get even 500 on taris, hell even on balmorra lockboxes rarely yield 1k and you have to fight mobs for about 90% of the boxes, gathering nodes on the other hand are free to loot most of the time.

€: oh and about those rare missions you get from slicing... my mate got more missions from simple grinding mobs while questing than me during 8hrs and 2 crew members constantly on slicing missions. two days ago i didn't even got 1 crit on a slicing missions, that equals 0 rare missions and a simple net loss. i only do slicing now for rare treasurehunting missions because thats the only way th is not useless, with the slicing nerf i have two useless 400/400 professions now, yay me.

Edited by raccomedia

1) As it has been said numerous times, the good slicing boxes have been REMOVED

2) Crew missions are not a loss for the other professions. The missions are, failures aside, a way to get crafting materials and patterns without having to rely on the world nodes like you do in WoW or other MMOs.

3) When an archaeologist sends out a companion for artifacts, when the companion succeeds, it never results in artifacts being taken from the inventory in a net loss. That is what is happening with slicing.

4) Screen shot of these 1k boxes. Because unless you're an imperial, Taris would only have lower 100-200s boxes for you.

Edited by Zakkana

Yes, I'm Imperial. We don't get to Taris until 30ish. My point still stands. At higher level (currently I'm at 39), credits come in like mad. I didn't even notice, but for Quesh and some of Hoth, my credit increased like 200k, mostly from questing, selling some of archaeology material, and open lockboxes. But then I'm the type who chases after a node and who loots everything. Once my inventory is full, I sell all the junk and green and easily got 2k out of it. There are still some buggy nodes, but most of them have been fixed. She took archaeology/synthweaving/slicing. She had ~250k before the nerf to slicing, and now she is at 500k. Synthweaving is total a money sink. But I'm hoping it would be better when more pp hit 50.

Slicing was really only OP at low level, and for pp who were afking doing something else while clicking on crew skill here and there with the iPad.

The best way to see nodes is to zoom out the map so you can see way bigger area.

And please, I have another level 34 Sith Warrior, who took after UWT, cybertech, and scavenging. I sent companions out on missions too much that I almost couldn't afford the riding skill at 25 without skipping some class skill upgrade. Slicing was too good at low level. However, now that her cybertech is higher (almost 300), I'm making a good amount of money trading (almost 100k) last night.

Btw, I had over 1 mil in WoW. I love working the AH, so perhaps that may have something to do with it.

But yes, when you get to 50 and especially when most people are 50, drop slicing. I heard from pp on Reddit that you can get 100k per day from doing dailies alone. Slicing at that point, is pretty worthless, even with the 4k (?) lockboxes.

I will post some screencaps when I get back home.

Edited by Cantiga

Yes, I'm Imperial. We don't get to Taris until 30ish. My point still stands. At higher level (currently I'm at 39), credits come in like mad. I didn't even notice, but for Quesh and some of Hoth, my credit increased like 200k, mostly from questing, selling some of archaeology material, and open lockboxes. But then I'm the type who chases after a node and who loots everything. Once my inventory is full, I sell all the junk and green and easily got 2k out of it. There are still some buggy nodes, but most of them have been fixed. She took archaeology/synthweaving/slicing. She had ~250k before the nerf to slicing, and now she is at 500k. Synthweaving is total a money sink. But I'm hoping it would be better when more pp hit 50.

Slicing was really only OP at low level, and for pp who were afking doing something else while clicking on crew skill here and there with the iPad.

The best way to see nodes is to zoom out the map so you can see way bigger area.

And please, I have another level 34 Sith Warrior, who took after UWT, cybertech, and scavenging. I sent companions out on missions too much that I almost couldn't afford the riding skill at 25 without skipping some class skill upgrade. Slicing was too good at low level. However, now that her cybertech is higher (almost 300), I'm making a good amount of money trading (almost 100k) last night.

Btw, I had over 1 mil in WoW. I love working the AH, so perhaps that may have something to do with it.

I will post some screencaps when I get back home.

All this tells me is you were doing tons of missions.

You don't indicate or estimate how much of the 500k credits you claim to have came from Slicing.

While it might be easier to make money at higher levels the costs are also higher.

I am level 25 and place everything for sale, I have 2,500 credits, the most I had before slicing was made into a useless skill was 20,000.

But I'm kinda comparing my 34 Sith Warrior, almost finishing Taris vs. 39 Sith Inquisitor, starting Hoth.

The Inquisistor maxed out slicing/synthweaving and at 350 archaeology and have 500k (with ~200k made from slicing before the nerf).

The Warrior almost 300 Cybertech/UWT/Scavenging and at 100k.

For 5 levels, 400k shouldn't be the difference between them (without counting in the $$$ I spent for maxing out synthweaving, one of the worst skills >.>)

Edited by Cantiga

You said it yourself, and it's been said before.

Slicing was OP at early levels due to being able to farm higher yield lockboxes.

Slicing was kind of meh at later levels (but it DID help for the more casual players).

Again, I must point out that level caps would have remedied 80% of the situation (along with a slight nerf, because of the little effort that goes into slicing). Also, at 50, attempting to farm slicing nodes is pointless. Just do dailies and/or space missions and/or grouped PvP. MUCH higher yield/hr.

For hardcore players, slicing was never the most profitable circumstance. That is why it made it through the beta. It was picked up so one could easily afford to level, then dropped it at 50 for more useful/profitable crew skills.

Slicing was always for the more casual players. The lack of level caps, internet egos being injured, and abuse was a problem.

What? A crew skill that costs money to use? Like every other crew skill?!

/balanced

You understand nothing... republic troll scum.

What? A crew skill that costs money to use? Like every other crew skill?! BUT HAS WAY LOWER RETURNS?!

/unbalanced

Slicing is a crew skill that you are supposed to make money nerfing serves no purpose all it does is cause people to get another skill. The nerf was dumb and made slicing the most useless skill.

No, wrong, slicing is a gathering skill that's supposed to make you money by gathering the gazillions boxes lying around.

The 20 bajzillions credits in 1hour while sleeping was a bonus, if that. Now it's not, tough. Still the most profitable gathering skill.

How do I know?

http://i.imgur.com/7Whc1.jpg

Balmorra, 10 min., cost 0, Profit 98xx, 98x credits per minute. The secret? Know your loot-route. The by the time you looted all the boxes lying around the 1st you looted already respwaned. You can go the route all day.

Of course this calls for a low population on Balmorra. Maybe I was just lucky, but with 98 players around during my loot-run, I made way more credits than pre-nerf offline.

Yes, I'd like to have the pre-nerf slicing back too, because I'm too lazy to do the credit farming actively, but that's precisely why, the chief reason, why all the QQ is around. People don't want to actively gather the credits. Just send 5 companions and make money while you surf the net.

Well guess what, tough sh*t.

Edited by Picoom

People seem to be acting rather thick throughout the entire Slicing nerf discussions.

First and most importantly, no one has yet to say that Slicing did not need a nerf. Everyone will easily admit it needed a nerf. So save the "lolwut 1mil creds a sec is balance!? lolol" crap. People arent saying Slicing should stay the way it was, people are agitated for several reasons.

1) Slicing was nerfed TO MUCH. It has become a pointless crewskill slot, some people stick to it hoping for change. But getting a 500credit profit on a 35min mission when even the most basic skill costs tens of thousands of credits? Thats simply not usefull. And then i see people say its not suppose to make you money, well here is a little funfact. It should.

Why? Because if you take this, and this is important so listen close, the player GIVES UP A CREWSKILL SLOT. I have Cybertech, but instead of UT i got Slicing. Guess what i need to do if i wanna get materials for slicing? I need to BUY them with credits.

Slicing replaces a crewskill that generates materials. If Slicing only turns a loss, as some people seem to think it should, then Slicing is absolutely useless. Not only am i not getting the materials i need, im also not getting the credits to buy them. Infact id just be throwing away credits in plenty of cases.

Generating a trickle of credits, and im talking 100-300 credits for well over 30min of missions is pointless. When any random mob i kill drops more, and any random skill training costs 60x as much. Because the profit doesnt scale at all, infact lower level missions even give better yield.

2) Bioware was aware of this problem, they have had plenty of information and should have been able to get a much more accurate estimation of where Slicing would fit in respective to other gather professions. But instead they threw out a terrible kneejerk reaction. Where most of the Slicing profits came from what could be considered somewhat broken mechanics (going to high level zones to slice boxes/exploiting high yield low level missions).

I am still amazed at all these "**** i made 1mil in 5 levels!". I had Slicing from lv10 till now. And i was lv28 when the nerf hit and i was sending out all companions all the time. I didnt have nearly that many credits, all i did was go with the missions that gave lockboxes and skillups. Not using "outdated" missions or going to higher level areas for lockboxes. So perhaps they shouldve reviewed where people were getting all those credits from.

And such heavy nerfs on the fly sounds awefully familiar, and is one of the major contributing reasons why i no longer play "their" game.