Please Do Something About In-Game Harassment

DarthEnrique

This is why I don't PVP, and also why everyone (including me) that thinks PVP has such toxicity.

I've been running warzones for years. Never once had somebody switch toons to keep whispering me. Don't take this as a typical thing. It's really not normal. Otherwise this sounds like a classic case of confirmation bias.

I think once, a long long time ago, I had somebody do that to me after a flashpoint. I'll just leave it at that...

Anyway, we already have the tools for reporting people. I'm not sure what y'all expect BW to do. You could troll the whisperer in a number of ways. Reply with google translated stuff, reply with poetry, reply once and then stay logged in while you walk away from the computer for a while, etc.

Edited by teclado

This type of behavior disgusts me. THIS is why Bioware needs to police chat...something they don't do. This jackhole should be banned from the interweb.

Holy crap... "People like that deserve..." (what can I actually say that won't be deleted here).. :mad:

I had a similar experience in WoW about 8 years ago, it's a big reason why I always keep my online presence anonymous. I rarely use social media and when I do it has no personal details that lead back to my real identity.

without consequences or perceived consequences people will do what they will. so they get banned on that account...whatever...create a new account. IP banned? possible to get that adjusted from your carrier (at least it used to be)

jack rabbits will remain jack rabbits for as long as we let them. and i say we because if all the folks that see the ridiculousness start /ignoring them they may get the point as their audience gets reduced. if that is too much, just dont respond to them. they want the attention. yes, it can get a bit tedious to get constant whispers, etc, but then handle it as stated above: screen shots report.

side note: over the last school year my son had been harassed by a classmate. he reported; kid gets removed for various amounts of time and severity, but the harassment continued. he was near the stage that he was just going to knock a tooth out, but a classmate stood up to the guy as well. he took it up the chain. and then something magical happened....other classmates began standing up to the kid. he went from kid to kid trying to get some type of reaction. three times he was knocked on his *** and all three times he was the one getting stitches. the point being, collectively, his classmates told him to back off, but it started with just two kids standing up to him. that gave the others the strength to do the same.

How that can be applied to an online game is up for debate. anonymity is a powerful weapon. couple that with words--and yes, they are just words--and you get something that can damage a person beyond years. its not a matter of how thick a skin someone has, but more about our permissiveness to the harassment in the first place.

one other side note: i used to be that jackrabbit. many moons ago on SWGCraft.com i could and would take something as simple as an offcolor joke to completely slam a person. i was gifted in that regard. twice i got banned from the site until eventually i was perma banned. I have no idea why, but it caused me to do a inward reflection. after a couple of months i changed my IP and went back and registered. nearly every mod knew it was me, but i remained cordial to my fellow community because we were their to have fun and to get better at crafting. now, there were a few external reasons that contributed to what i was doing, but it didnt make up for what i had done. especially to one poster who i pretty much ran from the site and from SWG. its one of those things i regret: a person i have never met and will never meet i affected through harsh words and diminished their enjoyment of the game. felt terrible. was it her fault for not having thicker skin? no, it was mine for being a jackrabbit.

i have made it a point since that time to minimize debating with someone via message board. to be honest, though, i dont get what i see in chat and even here, at times. the venom spewed by some posters made me look like a choir boy in days past. however, and here is looking at you moderator, i will not insinuate that some posters are sociopaths, but it wouldn't be to far of an armchair diagnosis.

so, pick me apart if you will, but TL:DR....people can be jackrabbits. ignore and report them if it gets ridiculous because without consequences folks run a muck. we simply need to stop the inmates from running the asylum...right Dr. Caligari

We need to have an account wide ignore so people can't switch toons to keep harassing you if you put them on ignore.

Wouldn't solve the problem. A quick mention in either guild or general chat by the person doing the harassing and half the server is doing the work for them.

We saw this with the squelching abuse awhile back.

edit: Hate to say this but some folks feel it's their *cough* given right to harass others. It's not just a MMO or Internet issue. It's a manners issue and there are dozens if not hundreds of threads here saying manners aren't appropriate for an MMO or the internet.

Edited by dr_mike

This is why I don't PVP, and also why everyone (including me) that thinks PVP has such toxicity.

And why I for one don't want all of the servers merged together into one megaserver as some have asked for-I don't want to be with the PVP people >.>

Wouldn't solve the problem. A quick mention in either guild or general chat by the person doing the harassing and half the server is doing the work for them.

edit: Hate to say this but some folks feel it's their *cough* given right to harass others. It's not just a MMO or Internet issue. It's a manners issue and there are dozens if not hundreds of threads here saying manners aren't appropriate for an MMO or the internet.

That would be a chance i would take. As long as the original offender was silenced forever then thats all i care about.

I would also agree with an account wide ignore. It may not be the best answer, but i havent seen any better suggestion so far.

But it does add another hurdle to them doing it easily.

That would be great. Allows pre-emptive ignoring of other people who are the same ilk as the original troll. I, for one, would not miss the chance to interact with anyone who would support or condone or follow such an individual.

I thought that people who bypass ignoring by switching toons to keep harassing is a fully bannable offense?

Report them, and offer screenshots if you can.

if Bio actually did anything at all it would be a slap on the wrist. I've seen Bioware ignore much worse than that.

without consequences or perceived consequences people will do what they will. so they get banned on that account...whatever...create a new account. IP banned? possible to get that adjusted from your carrier (at least it used to be)

On my ISP, gettng a different IP address is as trivial as rebooting my Fibre box (or my ADSL box before I got fibre).

I thought that people who bypass ignoring by switching toons to keep harassing is a fully bannable offense?

Report them, and offer screenshots if you can.

It wouldn't matter that's the thing, it is a bannable offense as it is abuse of the gaming mechanics, you put someone on ignore it's suppose to be a hint the person wants nothing to do with you, to by switching toons to continue to harass someone is bypassing the ingore function which only bans the toon, not an entire account from ignoring you. I have reported the incident but from past experiences with harassment I am skeptical of Bioware doing anything about it, as they have not in the past, which is a problem.