The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advanced Class Change token

EDIT: because I misread the title, my bad!

An advanced class token change would be note. I'd prefer it be a perk, but I could deal if it was put onto the CM, mostly bc in turn it would go onto the GTN.

Edited by TyonYlle

EDIT: because I misread the title, my bad!

An advanced class token change would be note. I'd prefer it be a perk, but I could deal if it was put onto the CM, mostly bc in turn it would go onto the GTN.

to be honest i would be fine no matter the way they would implement it in XD

But money talks at EA so they might listen to this sugestion more lol

Futile request. It has been requested many times, and nothing ever came of it. Indeed, now the whole question of "Advanced" classes is moot, since you have to pick one at level 1. That is, there is no longer an idea of "Advanced Class" separate from the idea of "Class".

The only real remnant of "Advanced Class" as an idea *in the game* is that the classes come in pairs that share a story, for example, Sage and Shadow. (I'm pretty sure the word "Advanced" shows up in a few places, but it doesn't mean anything any more.)

It doesn't matter if the devs didn't give us this before. They could do it.

After all, there was a time before strongholds, before Galactic Command, before... you get the idea.

I certainly hope we get this sometime in the future.

Edited by Xina_LA

After all, there was a time before strongholds, before Galactic Command, before... you get the idea.

I certainly hope that BW never allows players to change class.

Do it......

Don't want to restart my entire sorcerer just to be an Assassin.....

If you want to play an assassin, you will have to re-roll.

Leveling is so fast and easy these days, it should not take long to level that assassin.

You completely missed my point. They are just classes now. There is no separate concept of "Advanced Class".

you need to get with the times here

advanced classes do not exist anymore, and if you don't want to restart the whole thing.... buy an outlander boost token

problem solved

outlander boost i have 2 lol never gonna use them it screws my story so thats a big no....

The amount of time necessary to reach level 70 is basically negligible at this point. I just started leveling a new toon and am level 34 after about 7 hours, and that's with some minor roleplay interrupting my gameplay.

im also a completionist so i prety much want to 100% stuff on my main all quest all story all side stuff etcetc.... so yeah its not just level for me....

Fine, create a token that resets the entire character and allows them to start over with a new Class, without giving up all the mounts, pets, titles, emotes, Legacy and other upgrades they have spent CC and credits on.

As someone stated, it's quick to level up as is. Plus, leveling does one thing that "instant 65s/change" tokens don't: actually teach you how to play your class.

Sorcerer to Assassin is a MAJOR shift in playstyle. Leveling from the ground up with the massive amount of abilities assassins have is the practice you need to not be a detriment to any PUG ops you might join at 65+ It's not all about sneaking and spamming Maul :p

Fine, create a token that resets the entire character and allows them to start over with a new Class, without giving up all the mounts, pets, titles, emotes, Legacy and other upgrades they have spent CC and credits on.

This is a better option, IMO, but I'm not sure how technically feasible it is.

I'm not a programmer, but "resetting" a character to level 1 while "keeping" some things sounds fairly complicated. Having to "reset" all the flags set by that character on the previous "run through", "unlearn" speeder piloting (while at the same time leaving the "unusable" and "unlearnable" speeders still "learned"), leave the pets, remove all companions, etc. sounds like there would be a lot involved.

It should also have a hefty price tag, at least the cost of a character boost token, and IMO, that cost should be higher than a character boost token.

In the end, I'm going to guess that the ROI would not justify the expenditure of resources.

Not even WoW has the class change motif, just a race change

But Runes of Magic and Guild Wars 1 have class change (even if limited) as a game mechanic, and so does FFXIV.

In Runes of Magic you pick, one by one, three classes, and you can (and should) switch around which is your primary and secondary, and which is "idle". And they sell an item that allows you to drop one of the three classes and then you can pick a different one.

In Guild Wars 1, you pick a (fixed) primary class, and then there are mechanisms to learn a secondary class and later to change your secondary.

In FFXIV, you change your class by changing your mainhand weapon / tool, once you've learned the new class.

Allods Online sells "Class Change" tokens. The process is complicated, but the essential point is that you can do it.

And I'm sure there are others where you can do it.

But Runes of Magic and Guild Wars 1 have class change (even if limited) as a game mechanic, and so does FFXIV.

In Runes of Magic you pick, one by one, three classes, and you can (and should) switch around which is your primary and secondary, and which is "idle". And they sell an item that allows you to drop one of the three classes and then you can pick a different one.

In Guild Wars 1, you pick a (fixed) primary class, and then there are mechanisms to learn a secondary class and later to change your secondary.

In FFXIV, you change your class by changing your mainhand weapon / tool, once you've learned the new class.

Allods Online sells "Class Change" tokens. The process is complicated, but the essential point is that you can do it.

And I'm sure there are others where you can do it.

Did Runes of Magic / GW 1 / FFXIV add this later or was it built in from the ground up included?. If it was built-in during the design then yes that's why.

Could BW do it yes. Main issue is ROI and if it will cause any other behind the scene issues the coding isn't designed for. That is only BW can answer.

This is a better option, IMO, but I'm not sure how technically feasible it is.

I'm not a programmer, but "resetting" a character to level 1 while "keeping" some things sounds fairly complicated.

I am a programmer and I honestly can't tell you how complicated it is. It depends on how they're storing the data. It might be really simple and it might be a tedious mess. Regardless, we can present the idea and let them decide whether it's worth the dev hours it would take to accomplish it.

The problem with making people choose a (formerly advanced) class up front is that new players might decide they haven't made the best decisions. If they've already bought some pets and mounts, unlocked some Legacy upgrades, and purchased some goodies from the Cartel Market, they're going to be uncomfortable starting over. Now that we don't get a chance to explore the basic class before choosing, a reset seems more important.

Here's an interesting question -- If you make one character, buy Legacy upgrades, earn reputation, and otherwise gain things attached to the Legacy... do you keep them if you delete your last character? If a new player creates one character and decides they don't like it, deletes it, and creates something else, do they still have all their Legacy unlocks?

Edited by Xina_LA

I am a programmer and I honestly can't tell you how complicated it is. It depends on how they're storing the data. It might be really simple and it might be a tedious mess. Regardless, we can present the idea and let them decide whether it's worth the dev hours it would take to accomplish it.

The problem with making people choose a (formerly advanced) class up front is that new players might decide they haven't made the best decisions. If they've already bought some pets and mounts, unlocked some Legacy upgrades, and purchased some goodies from the Cartel Market, they're going to be uncomfortable starting over. Now that we don't get a chance to explore the basic class before choosing, a reset seems more important.

Here's an interesting question -- If you make one character, buy Legacy upgrades, earn reputation, and otherwise gain things attached to the Legacy... do you keep them if you delete your last character? If a new player creates one character and decides they don't like it, deletes it, and creates something else, do they still have all their Legacy unlocks?

My understanding is that all legacy unlocks (as opposed to character unlocks) remain in effect, even if the original unlocking character is deleted.

Did Runes of Magic / GW 1 / FFXIV add this later or was it built in from the ground up included?. If it was built-in during the design then yes that's why.

Could BW do it yes. Main issue is ROI and if it will cause any other behind the scene issues the coding isn't designed for. That is only BW can answer.

Hmm. In GW1/FFXIV, it's baked into the game. I believe that it was actually added in v2.0 of Runes of Magic, so, *as a game mechanic*, it can be added to a game. And certainly e.g. Sage<->Shadow changes are *relatively* benign as class changes go, a bit like Guardian<->Dragonhunter and similar in GW2, which were added in Heart of Thorns. The most awkward in SWTOR is probably (before 4.0 shifted much armour to adaptive-weight) Mara<->Jugg and Guardian<->Senti.

(Observation: the Allods Online class change process reformulates your gear, so if you change from a heavy-armour tankish melee class to a light-armour ranged dps spellcaster, you still have worthwhile gear. And it's only available for max-level characters.)

All of which just says that making appeals to other games, either in support or anti-support of the idea, is largely futile.

And yes, only BW can truly answer this question. And they can probably only answer it by trying. If I was a project manager with something like that on the table, I'd say, "No," simply because it introduces an *unknown* amount of risk. Observation: there would be at least X players (X is not zero, and it's not just two or three either) who would lose one or more items when making such a change, because his inventory and mailbox are both full. (Inventory full: mail it. Mailbox full: now what?)

all im asking for is a simple token to switch from 1 class within the disscipline to another

sorc to assassin

jug to marauder

etcetc

without losing anything levels arch quests....

thats literaly SUPER easy to implement....

all im asking for is a simple token to switch from 1 class within the disscipline to another

sorc to assassin

jug to marauder

etcetc

without losing anything levels arch quests....

thats literaly SUPER easy to implement....

That is changing your class.

Sorcerer and Assassin are two different classes. The same applies to Juggernaut and Marauder, Powertech and Mercenary, etc.

Your class is now chosen at character creation. There are two classes for each story line.

Edited by Ratajack

That is changing your class.

Sorcerer and Assassin are two different classes. The same applies to Juggernaut and Marauder, Powertech and Mercenary, etc.

Your class is now chosen at character creation. There are two classes for each story line.

aaaand ? still easy to implement because outside of class nothign else needs to be changed they are the same story etc and save players allot of trouble...