New to story driven games - advice?

Mashugana

I am new to story driven games and I am loving it. I thought the first few chapters were cool but now I am in KotET for the first time it feels like I am playing a movie, not a game. I've only played MMOs for so long I did not know story driven games had gotten this good.

Are there any 'must pay' single player RPGs I should check out? If I love the way BioWare does story which of their games do you suggest? Keep in mind that I have not played anything - Fallout, Mass Effect, BioShock - none.

Maybe I can get some of the older games cheap on steam and get lost in some good old fashioned rpg goodness.

Thanks.

bioware have a few games from previous years you can play for the storyline; mass effect, dragon age, kotor series are all fine series. outside of bioware there is the witcher series. all of these have rpg elements and a strong storyline, much like Bioshock and perhaps system shock 2 from years ago, that was one hell of a game as well. Edited by Celise

I am new to story driven games and I am loving it. I thought the first few chapters were cool but now I am in KotET for the first time it feels like I am playing a movie, not a game. I've only played MMOs for so long I did not know story driven games had gotten this good.

Are there any 'must pay' single player RPGs I should check out? If I love the way BioWare does story which of their games do you suggest? Keep in mind that I have not played anything - Fallout, Mass Effect, BioShock - none.

Maybe I can get some of the older games cheap on steam and get lost in some good old fashioned rpg goodness.

Thanks.

It gets worse. There is one chapter towards the end of kotfe, where the whole thing is practically one long cut scene. there is probably around 10 min worth of you controlling your character in that chapter.

I like it. I've been killing ten rats for almost 20 years. I'm enjoying sitting back and watching a movie I am in. I can always go to fleet and run heroics if I get my MMO itch.

For now, I want to see the show.

The Mass Effect trilogy is an excellent sci-fi RPG. The first one's gameplay isn't that great but the story is worth playing through it. And then 2 and 3 have much better gameplay and the story is still very good. You play the same character through all 3 and they should be played in order.

The Dragon Age series is also very good if you like fantasy setting stuff. Dragon Age: Origins is the first one and probably the most beloved. Dragon Age 2 plays a bit differently and people either love it or hate it. It suffers from being rushed but I still enjoyed it a lot. Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third one and is more recent and I think it's a great game. Again it plays fairly differently from the other 2 and is on a different engine. You play different characters in all of them but the lore and setting stuff is consistent through all of them. You don't necessarily have to play these ones in order since it's a different protagonist each time.

Not sure if you've played Knights of the Old Republic but that was BioWare's first Star Wars game and all of the Revan stuff in SWTOR originates from that. It's a pretty old game now but I still enjoy playing through it every once in awhile. The story is great but the combat really shows its age.

I haven't played either of these personally but The Witcher 3 and Horizon: Zero Dawn are two pretty recent non-BioWare single-player RPGs that I've heard very good things about. You play a set protagonist in both of them, though. BioWare games always let you customize your character like in SWTOR.

You should definitely get the first three Mass Effect games as well as the Dragon Age games. I would suggest starting both series at the beginning. If you like old-school rpgs, then Pillars of Eternity is good. If you like story-based adventure games, then you could try Dreamfall: Chapters, Life Is Strange, or a Telltale game.

People already mentioned the Mass Effect trilogy and Dragon Age (Although only Dragon age: Origins is worth the time in the DA series, IMO). Far Cry 3 is amazing - while it's an FPS and not an RPG - you can customize your skills, but not much options for role playing, the story and settings are brilliant. The Witcher series of course - with the Witcher 3 being one of the best games ever made. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Deus Ex: Mankind divided are also good.

Dishonored is a great game, although I haven't played Dishonored 2 yet.

Metro 2033 is pretty good, but it's squeal - Metro: Last light is brilliant. amazing atmosphere.