Advice and instruction needed.

DuchessKristania

Okay, so here's the thing, I am not a pvper. I'm a pve player who likes to decorate her strongholds. The problem is that a decoration I really want is locked behind rank 12 valor. Aside from getting the Makeb Pergola I don't really have any interest in doing pvp, it makes me too nervous and I feel bad for killing player toons. I know, I'm a softy. I would like to do some pvp in order to farm valor but I don't have a clue how to go about it. I don't want to spend more time and resources than I have to. It doesn't really make sense for me to spend credits on gear I don't intend to use in the long term. Can someone help me figure this out? I don't mind dying if I get valor for it but I don't want to get ganked over and over again if I'm getting nothing but frustration by going into pvp mode.

Don't worry. 12 valor is like 3 matchs. as long as you don't make a habit of it, you can do one days dailys, and just try to guard the offnode.

Okay, I'm going to be honest, you had me right up until you said "guard the offnode." What does that mean? I realize that might be a dumb question, but despite having played the game for years, pvp is a complete mystery to me. Where are the best places for a beginning to pick up pvp dailies? Again, I apologize for sounding like a noob. who knows, maybe I'll find I actually enjoy pvp and it won't be such a nerve-wracking prospect. I used to feel that way about the datacron jumping puzzles and now I actually enjoy them.

Edited by DuchessKristania

Lol, we all started somewhere. Basically an offnode is is an objective that's out of the way for the enemy team, and is easily guarded because it's usually close to friendly spawn zone. so if your in civil war, the offnode is directly to your left after getting off the bike. Or in novare coast, the offnode is the objective north of where you start. If you get get Odessen proving grounds, follow your team. arenas are death match, if your not comfortable, you can leave and someone else will join. and voidstar is kinda deathmatch too. hypergate, you can guard the pylon.

if your going to guard, and you see trouble call for help, usually youll get if you call fast enough.

Okay, I'm going to start mentally noting all of this. I'm a level capped sniper command level 116. My sniper can blow through heroics and pve stuff, but I get the impression pvp is a different beast entirely. My brother doesn't play swtor but he does do pvp games, so I might see if he'd be willing to just pilot my toon. I have a visual impairment so it's very difficult for me to use in-game chat while playing. Since I'm in a tiny guild of friends they tend to accommodate my disability by doing a group call on Skype when we do guild activity.

guarding a node is not a good beginner objective. If the opposing team is full of stealth , they will ruin it for you.

let the group know you're new and follow their lead.

Are the team missions the only way to gain valor? If possible I'd rather do solo stuff so that my shortcomings won't mess up the game for others. Also, if I can do solo stuff, do I gain valor regardless of winning or losing?

Are the team missions the only way to gain valor? If possible I'd rather do solo stuff so that my shortcomings won't mess up the game for others. Also, if I can do solo stuff, do I gain valor regardless of winning or losing?

warzones are the only way to gain valor and they are team oriented. you can Que up with a group of friends (4 max) or you can Que solo. Dont stress about hurting the team if you let them know in chat that you are new to pvp. just follow their lead and do dmg.

You are a sniper. Guard the node within 30m to give distance but not be stretched to far if knocked back. Face in a direction where you can plainly see the node and direction where enemies approach. Do not place your back against a wall or structure. Melee will place themselves against the wall when they fight you and make your knockbacks useless. Also it impairs your range and vision as snipers have best vantage when 360 range is free of obstruction though in reality there is always obstruction. Do not stand on top of node you will lose it that way due to stuns.

Always remain in cover, no need to stand around like a bimbo XD as it will increase your range to stealth. Depending on warzone use entrench the moment you see stealth or groups about to be upon you.

The moment you see anything, make a call to your team.

Hypergate: Inc 1, 2, or 3 just say number You don't have to say side as you are most like guarding the only capped node in the match. Watch timer, pop entrench when you realize the cooldown will match the timer to the end. Then stealth have no option but to fight you.

Voidstar. If guarding the direction you are facing when you jump out is left or right. Just call that. East or West is confusing to so many people as the map is upside down not in favor of basic thinking. XD Like reading a map that's upside down and giving directions.

Civil war. Call Mid, Snow or Grass. When you land from speeder you will notice one side is way more snowy and the other is way more grassy. Refer to those nodes as grass or snow. Snow and Grass are considered off nodes. They are long walks and consider an expense to another team to send people out that way as they usually just fight in mid most the time...though sometimes you will see plenty of action.

Novare coast. Call mid, east and west. You have a minute before the match. Find which side is yours, memorize if it is east or west. If you still get confused, still call inc + number. You are the only one there, and the rest are at mid fighting. If someone calls inc at mid thats stupid...they should realize its you. The team should be aware of who is guarding, you have a name. They have a map, and can locate you if they cared to play objectively. It's basic sense to listen for the voice of the guard and respond to call.

Oddesson: Way to much for a new player. Just follow the zerg. Lol. The map is a little confusing and I dont think you will play enough to care.

Huttball. Just sit on ramps and shoot the ball carrier. May not be the best approach but I am sure you wont want to carry it as you might get turned around and bring the ball to your endzone instead of theirs. =)

Arenas...consider it a quicker match for valor. =)

Most important of all, to wash your hands free of fault when you die guarding a node...MAKE THE CALL! If you can quickly type "GRASS 1" or just grass if you dont know the number then when it drops and no one comes to aid, its their fault. Remember, calling AFTER you die isnt good enough. You will be to blame as no one can respond to that quick enough. Dont bother correcting typo if you cant, if you say grass 3 when you meant 2...who cares there might be 3 anyways from stealth.

Bring friends who pvp, they might help you and protect you. A pocket healer might be nice. =)

Also while guarding. Spam suppressive fire in random locations to root out stealth that may approach...especially if you have been approached by one or two. If you are being ganked at node and help doesnt come...then stop gaurding. You wont win anyways cause team is dumb and no point in getting frustrated by a dozen deaths.

In the end, do your best and who cares what people think as you wont be around long enough for it to matter. Though I say try your best, and see if you can have fun, maybe you will find enjoyment in pvp afterall. ^^

Whatever you do, do not say "HELP". That will make you look worse than a noob. I see people call for help just because they get attacked and they want the whole team to save them at the cost of the node. Help means you have lost all awareness of not only the map, the enemies, your teammates but yourself. Help is the word people use when their mouse batteries die, their dial up connection was interrupted due to a phone call, and for people who cannot locate the WASD keys on their keyboard. So don't use it.

If you fail to grasp where you are, what is going on, how many attack. Just say, "Inc" That is the last resort. Like I said, most people will be in a 7 v 7 at mid so "inc" should instantly imply the other node is being attacked.

Good luck!

Edited by VixenRawR

Nah, don't be afraid of PvP. Like someone else said, just mention "my first PvP match, any advice?" or something like that in chat when you start, and you will almost always get help and not abuse. If you happen to be on Harb imp side, and see any of my toons below, feel free to PM me to team up. I'm not going to carry us to victory, but at least you will have one other person on the team who you know will not yell at you. :D

Also, I would agree that guarding the off node is not the best activity for someone completely new. I think, by far, the best activity is to follow the crowd and DPS as best you can. Watch for an enemy that is being attacked by the rest of your team, and just attack the same person. Or look for the "target" marker hanging over an enemy toon - that will usually be a healer, so attack that person.

And if you want to get pysched up a little, go have a look at the first couple pages of the "PvP a Day" thread (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=750869). That was someone who also started out being completely afraid of and didn't like PvP, and got just plain amazing support and advice to help them get started.

Wow, thanks for all the help and advice from everyone! It's a little less intimidating now. I tend to avoid pvp in all of my mmo's because I'm just not good at it, lol. The fights are more complex and faster moving than pve and I get flustered, lol. I'm a timid little story player but my decorating needs require that Makeb Pergola and if I have to get squished to get it, than so be it, lol.

Nah, don't be afraid of PvP. Like someone else said, just mention "my first PvP match, any advice?" or something like that in chat when you start, and you will almost always get help and not abuse. If you happen to be on Harb imp side, and see any of my toons below, feel free to PM me to team up. I'm not going to carry us to victory, but at least you will have one other person on the team who you know will not yell at you. :D

I'm on Ebon Hawk or I'd totally take you up on that. I may need to start being less introverted in-game and use gen chat to meet people who'd be willing to queue up with me and just let me run with them in a pvp match.

A side note.

People really need to stop calling left and right in voidstar.

The minimap does not "flip" it stays the same whether attacking or defending. The only thing that changes is whether your attacking from the south or the north of the minimap. So please people, stop using left and right in voidstar, the minimap does not flip, and this is how expierenced pvpers determine where to reinforce. By minimap compass.

A side note.

The minimap does not "flip" it stays the same whether attacking or defending. The only thing that changes is whether your attacking from the south or the north of the minimap. So please people, stop using left and right in voidstar, the minimap does not flip, and this is how expierenced pvpers determine where to reinforce. By minimap compass.

I second this motion.

Funny someone should mention a pocket healer because she has a sorcerer friend who also really wants that pergola. I've healed for flashpoints and ops but although I've played the game for years, I've never touched PVP either.

So from that wording, should we be staying somewhat together if the area is really spread-out and watching out for each other? (This would probably be a best-case scenario so I can handle chat wrangling and the calls for us both.)

Funny someone should mention a pocket healer because she has a sorcerer friend who also really wants that pergola. I've healed for flashpoints and ops but although I've played the game for years, I've never touched PVP either.

So from that wording, should we be staying somewhat together if the area is really spread-out and watching out for each other? (This would probably be a best-case scenario so I can handle chat wrangling and the calls for us both.)

That's a good strategy in my opinion (sticking together). I'll add in some more basic advice to also set your expectations (maybe :D ). As I understand PvE (I don't do it much) as a healer, in a group, basically no one should die, right?

Forget that in PvP. People die. You, as a healer, will probably get focused a lot if the other team is competent at all, and you, being inexperienced, will die A LOT. Don't sweat it. As I said before, just tell people at the start of the match "healer, never did PvP before, will try my best" and you will probably get people cutting you a lot of slack. You might get some idiots complaining, but ignore them. :p (I was on EH for a while, and at that time the PvP crowd seemed pretty mellow, so hopefully you'll do fine).

Also, others will die. I think the original poster said she was a sniper, right? She will probably get focused 2nd, right after you. :D Especially if she's engineering spec, and is throwing down plasma probe - I HATE that thing being used against me. So does everyone else.

But in any event, again, if people die "on your watch" don't sweat it like you might in PvE. You can't keep everyone up.

And don't chase your team trying to save them! If that mara/sentinel leaps to the back of the enemy lines, and gets herself demolished, that's not on you. You want to stay near the back of your own team's lines, and let them come back to you for heals. In my opinion anyway.

Also, others will die. I think the original poster said she was a sniper, right? She will probably get focused 2nd, right after you. :D Especially if she's engineering spec, and is throwing down plasma probe - I HATE that thing being used against me. So does everyone else.

Yep a sniper, but not engineering focused. If I have plasma probe I never use it. Hmm, now I need to look at that. In PVE my main focus is taking enemies down before they get close to me, so I have the heavy hitter sniper shots as my go to moves.

Yep a sniper, but not engineering focused. If I have plasma probe I never use it. Hmm, now I need to look at that. In PVE my main focus is taking enemies down before they get close to me, so I have the heavy hitter sniper shots as my go to moves.

I haven't run a sniper in a while. I think only engineering gets plasma probe, so you won't have to worry about making enemies that way. :D And in PvP, I guess it's about the same, keep the red things away from you, and take them down. The difference is that in PvP (some of) the red things are a bit smarter, and can pop defensives that will nullify your attacks, or even reflect them back at you.

Also, though, in PvP mobility is king (or at least royalty of some kind :D), so if you haven't paid much attention to your various roots, slows and stuns in the past, be aware that they are very useful in PvP. For example, sometimes rooting that operative so your melee team mates can all jump on him is more helpful than unloading a blast into him, which he'll just roll and negate anyway.

But, again, don't worry about all that too much yet. Just get in there and blast away to begin with. If you find that you actually like it (I know, ***gasp*** :D), then you can start to worry about the nuances. :)

A side note.

I don't care about the minimap, we have east and west, and I know which side I'm on, they're trivial to tell apart. Minimap for me is only for checking purple circles/red dots and see if one side has way too many of them.

What really disturbs me is this: even when defending, I am looking towards north, because that's where the door is, and I keep my camera on it, you know, in case they're trying to cap. So in this regard attacking and defending aren't any different. But when defending, and they call left, I have to rotate the whole thing in my head and try to figure out which side they meant. For bonus confusion, the side to your left when leaving the defender spawn is the right side of the map.

To the OP: just go with the main flow and try not to die, sometimes kills matter. Don't guard, please. Leave it to people that actually know how to do it.

I really appreciate all the advice offered. I just finished getting the =10 Endurance datacron on Makeb and after I need a little time to recover from that monster, lol. I'm hoping to try PvP next week or the week after. I'm on Ebon Hawk and would be much more comfortable if there's anyone willing to run with me.