Kylo Ren Lightsaber Theory

Yesterday a friend and I were chatting during lunch, and we were wondering why Kylo Ren uses a cracked crystal for his lightsaber when the Galaxy seems to have an abundance of crystal repositories. At first we believed that Snoke wanted Ren to complete a challenge and forge his own crystal, but then I had a more realistic theory. Ren found a normal, intact crystal, but when he was making his lightsaber, he kept screwing up, so he had a hissy fit and chucked the thing at a wall, cracking the crystal. Too embarrassed to admit to Snoke that he did so, he used the same crystal with a vented lightsaber design and passed it off as an intentional choice to seem more intimidating. I'm pretty assure this is what really happened. :p

My theory was that synthetic red crystals were incredibly rare so he had to use the only one he could find. This of course is now no longer canon thanks to that horrible Ahsoka novel that changed lore forever stating that normal crystals "bleed" and become red when used by dark side users.

Such crap! Jedi/Light side/Ashla are just one side of the Force. Sith/Dark Side/Bogan are the other side of the Force with the Bendu being the Force in balance. I don't feel that Jedi should canonically have a monopoly on kyber crystals. it just does not make any sense.

Any way, rant over.

My theory was that synthetic red crystals were incredibly rare so he had to use the only one he could find. This of course is now no longer canon thanks to that horrible Ahsoka novel that changed lore forever stating that normal crystals "bleed" and become red when used by dark side users.

Such crap! Jedi/Light side/Ashla are just one side of the Force. Sith/Dark Side/Bogan are the other side of the Force with the Bendu being the Force in balance. I don't feel that Jedi should canonically have a monopoly on kyber crystals. it just does not make any sense.

Any way, rant over.

Seriously? Any lightsaber crystal used by a darksider now gets 'corrupted' into a red one? Thats lame as hell.

I like your theory TC, it makes sense.

Edited by dcaleb

I think he went to a cantina was hungry, wanted a snack & went to the vending machine, put some credits in. Pushed a button, A small box fell out. Kylo: MMMmmm, i just love Cracker Jix. Oh look a Prize. Its a light saber crystal. AHH Man its cracked in 3 places. Oh well, now i do not have to go searching through a bunch of dangerous cave looking for one.

Thats what i think....... :cool::D;):):rolleyes::p

Any way, rant over.

I actually think that is a good change. Weren't the crystals connected to the force in someway? It's logical that a powerful force-user who used the darkside would affect the crystal in a significant way.

Hmmm, I always thought that Kylo Ren was using the crystal from Vader's lightsaber. Maybe the lightsaber survived somehow when the DSII blew up and fell to Endor, and that's the reason it's cracked. Maybe the reason he uses a cracked crystal isn't because he broke one or because he has to, but because the crystal he's using now belonged to his idol, Darth Vader.

• 2 months later...
I think Kylo Ren just doesn't know how to build a lightsaber and didn't manage to make it stable and without this two ventilation shafts on the sides.

That's what I always thought as any Jedi or Sith who was adept enough in the Force knew how to construct their lightsaber without any problems. Kylo Ren just seemed too impatient and wanted to put more fear into his underlings, so he hastily constructed his own weapon but screwed it up in the end, so it had to be ventilated.

Just my theory.