Returning player - Is Assassin/Operative viable?

jedimastermatty

So I've recently gotten back into SWTOR and I've not used the character boost as I'd like to experience the story, the character boost I'm saving to use on a character I'll be doing a lot of PvP on but here's the thing. From what I can tell, everyone seems to be of the opinion that mercs/snipers are overpowered sons of *****es at the moment. However I've always been a fan of the stealth characters in games, in WoW I main a Rogue, in Guild Wars 2 I play a Thief, but what state are the stealth classes in at the moment in SWTOR? Way back when I last played a good Assassin or Operative were insanely good with incredible burst. Are either of these classes still a viable choice for end game PvP at the moment?

Sin tank best tank for pvp

Hatred OK dmg really squishy, not good for solos

Deception is in a good spot but overshadowed by mercs and snipers

Lethality is OK, still clunky in regs. Don't do ranked

Concealment is still strong, can work in solos if you're good. Overshadowed by mercs and snipers

Medicine is vulnerable to cc and can't handle burst well, hurt alot by interrupts. Better than mercs in some cases but overshadowed by sorcs

Edited by Jake_Chambers

Concealment is still strong, can work in solos if you're good. Overshadowed by mercs and snipers

Medicine is vulnerable to cc and can't handle burst well, hurt alot by interrupts. Better than mercs in some cases but overshadowed by sorcs

I wouldn't really argue Mercs and/or Snipers to be anything like Deception at all.

In the most basic sense, yes they are stronger. But in a ranked envirionment where burst and specific utility can be key, A Deception sin is not directly weaker than a Sniper in all situations.

It's just different and requires a different sort of approach by both player and team.

Edited by Evolixe

I wouldn't really argue Mercs and/or Snipers to be anything like Deception at all.

In the most basic sense, yes they are stronger. But in a ranked envirionment where burst and specific utility can be key, A Deception sin is not directly weaker than a Sniper in all situations.

It's just different and requires a different sort of approach by both player and team.

Assin Dec requires much more skill and experience to be viable currently than Conc/Leth.

Phase walk removal was a strong hit.

Against Merc/ Snip Leth is better, since its range is 4-30m and can stay away easier.

Conc always better in 1vs1.

Edited by Aetideus

Snipers and mercs burst much harder than deception while also having superior survivability. They are both much better than deception in the vast majority of cases, which is why burst classes that are not snipers or mercs are overshadowed by then

Snipers and mercs burst much harder than deception while also having superior survivability. They are both much better than deception in the vast majority of cases, which is why burst classes that are not snipers or mercs are overshadowed by then

If you perceive burst as singular hard hits, sure. But Deceptions burst window is a lot longer than that of Mercs and Snipers. A whopping 7 GCD's of back-to-back hard hitters, followed by an autocrit Maul on the 9th GCD after a Voltaic on the 8th, as a matter of fact.

In that time, the Assassin can do anything north of 150.000 damage all by himself.

Depending if Alacrity is the stat of choice, or Critical Strike.

Assin Dec requires much more skill and experience to be viable currently than Conc/Leth.

Phase walk removal was a strong hit.

Against Merc/ Snip Leth is better, since its range is 4-30m and can stay away easier.

Conc always better in 1vs1.

Lets be real here, no one in their right mind plays lethality in PvP.

Edited by Evolixe

Sin tank is the best tank.

Hatred is still decent from what I seen. It runs fine in arenas but slightly squishy with the current meta.

Deception is always aesthetic and that's pretty much it from what I have seen. It's not bad but it's not great either.

Operative concealment is strong.

Operative leth is all fluff.

Operative Medicine is the best healer till you get interrupted and CCed on CD (lacked burst because you can't get your heals out with lack of interrupt immunity). With this strong gimp they are under Sorc healers. Merc healers live longer but still suck.

Deception is aesthetic but Concealment is strong? :confused:

I wouldn't put Concealment ahead of Deception in anything but duels.

And even then, the Sin can win that. Not saying it's likely, but definitely possible.

Edited by Evolixe

If you perceive burst as singular hard hits, sure. But Deceptions burst window is a lot longer than that of Mercs and Snipers. A whopping 7 GCD's of back-to-back hard hitters, followed by an autocrit Maul on the 9th GCD after a Voltaic on the 8th, as a matter of fact.

In that time, the Assassin can do anything north of 150.000 damage all by himself.

Depending if Alacrity is the stat of choice, or Critical Strike.

Lets be real here, no one in their right mind plays lethality in PvP.

it is largely misunderstood. It is more difficult than Conc, but in 5.0 has increased burst. It is a late burst, but I propose to give it a try. Conc is still better in duels. Pvp is not just 1vs1.

Certainly Dec has better burst than anything. What kind of skill is needed to apply it among Snipers and Mercs?

Edited by Aetideus

Just because nobody plays lethality operatives and hatred sins in ranked,it doesn't mean that these classes aren't viable.

Never listen to.. "don't play this or don't play that". Play whatever you like or suits you.