The New Hairstyles... Uhm?!

Ylliarus

With complete glee I took the CC I had on my account and bought the new Hairstyles 2 from the Cartel Market after seeing it. I was very pleased to see that finally my female toons could wear their hair the way Shae Vizsla does. My joy was immense... until I saw the two other hairstyles...

The first one that made my jaw drop (and not out of a positive reaction) was the bangs down to the side and a weird mushroom growing out of the back of my characters head. In all honesty I can't make heads or tail of it. The front looks okay-ish, maybe the bang was a little too long for my taste but the back? Really the only way I can describe it is a sort of bulbous fungus.

The second one was okay when I looked from the front. Not exactly something I'd want on my character, but it was ok... until I turned him around and saw this time not a mushroom but shoelaces growing out of my toons head. I found it to be rather incredibly unflattering.

My apologies for the harsh commentary but, really? After the massive storm of criticism regarding reskins, these two hairstyles, completely unstylish or unpleasant to look at, seemed like a good idea? I know you've got amazing creators and artists working with you there at Bioware, I mean, just look at some of the breathtaking armor sets that are ingame. But that is exactly the reason why I don't understand why these hairstyles were designed the way they were. The Shae Vizsla hairdo? Absolutely gorgeous (pity the hair colours don't translate super smoothly but ah well, I can live with it). Yet the two others are, and sorry that this has to be my honest feedback, hideous.

Edited by Ylliarus

You're not wrong. The Shae Viszla hair is fine, the other two...garbage. What are they on? That they would think in any universe or existence that these styles would look good?

Personally, I fail to understand why they can't make a Princess Leia cinnamon bun hairstyle, where the buns match the hair? They have the style, but if you choose 'blue' the buns are brown. The buns are always brown. If they could match the colour you want all over, like blue all over that would be swell. And it looks decent.

What were they doing, consulting North Korea's manual of approved styles for men and women when they made these?

Don't worry about being harsh YIliarus, you're not harsh, you're honest. I'm harsher than you, but I've always been more blunt than Thor's hammer when I don't like something.

They need to try harder to find good looking styles. Braided hairstyles are also nice, like Princess Leia's look on Hoth, with the braids over her head. That would be nice too.

I appreciate new hair. I like stuff like this being added to the game, but they need to improve their designs. I'm sure if they looked in their suggestions files, people have suggested stuff that is waaaaay better.

Edited by Lunafox

The mushroom one is hilarious, I can't stop laughing.

I honestly don't mind the slicked back look, kinda punk. Could look cool with some of the shaved head design complexions, but the rattail should be longer down the shoulder. And move like real hair, kinda looks like chopsticks stuck in your skull.

The Shae one is, meh, it's hair.

Edited by Ralei

I replied in another thread who had a link to the styles in one of the replies before I realized this one was created on topic. I'll repost my quick take on the styles here:

Shae's is Shae, so no real comment, there... a quick one for them to implement, no doubt.

The Unisex 2 style is just hilarious... what a god-awful hot mess. I was hoping we were over that emo bangs in the face phase, but apparently there's a demand for it. I guess some people just don't want to be able to see their enemies while fighting them.

Unisex 1: Macklemore.

Personally I don't mind any of them, because our aesthetic tastes aside, there will be someone out there who does like them. And when it comes to games and character customization, I am all about options.

What bothers me more is that they don't release new hairstyles very often- not nearly as often as they could probably manage. There are actually a lot of hair assets that are already in game, and would only need new colours to be viable candidates.

Additionally, there are a lot of basic, common styles they're missing, which I feel should take priority: short and straight, parted bangs, curly hair for both men and women, straight bangs for men, and maybe some more classic vintage styles.

It only took about five minutes of google searching to find lots of potential hairstyles, and a lot of them are quite simple. No need to reinvent the wheel, you can always explore other, more outlandish options later when more basic ground has been covered.

On that note, I'd also like to see more elaborate hairstyles, like those worn by Naboo women wherein they include a sort of headdress or jewelry. I think if executed properly they would be quite popular, and cultural influences that relate to our characters go largely ignored, so I'd like to see more attention to that.

That said, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm glad they're even putting effort into more cosmetic options for character customization. I find it encouraging that they still see it as a big enough priority to touch bases on now and then, rather than neglecting it entirely.

Edited by SourOrange

I'm disappointed that Shae's hairstyle clips into the shoulders at the ends. It looks really weird when the character is in motion. Still, the style looks nice, and I'm very happy they've released it.

The other two hairstyles... they did something wrong rendering them. Some parts are outlined in stark white or black, and lots of jaggedy pixels... it looks like an alpha build of the hair that they never put in better textures for. Definitely never going to use those, they look horrible for that reason alone.

Nice to see the Nazi haircut alt-right white supremacist Richard Spencer has is now in the game.

lol yeah that's exactly what I was thinking :( It's such a shame, I really liked it when it was just a regular hipster haircut back in the good ole days :D Much simpler times.

I'm actually diggin it on my female agent. She just needs some tattoos and piercings and a pack of American Spirits :D

http://imgur.com/nkTAISk

This game has a history of crap hairstyles. Remember the braids that look like strands of Playdough and moves terribly when the character moves their head. Also the shaggy hair has gaps around the ears. The new hair in this game is atrocious and poorly made.

Whoever makes these hairstyles needs to be fired immediately. They're jacked and could be so much better

Edited by NoahRedden

Personally I don't mind any of them, because our aesthetic tastes aside, there will be someone out there who does like them. And when it comes to games and character customization, I am all about options.

What bothers me more is that they don't release new hairstyles very often- not nearly as often as they could probably manage. There are actually a lot of hair assets that are already in game, and would only need new colours to be viable candidates.

Additionally, there are a lot of basic, common styles they're missing, which I feel should take priority: short and straight, parted bangs, curly hair for both men and women, straight bangs for men, and maybe some more classic vintage styles.

It only took about five minutes of google searching to find lots of potential hairstyles, and a lot of them are quite simple. No need to reinvent the wheel, you can always explore other, more outlandish options later when more basic ground has been covered.

On that note, I'd also like to see more elaborate hairstyles, like those worn by Naboo women wherein they include a sort of headdress or jewelry. I think if executed properly they would be quite popular, and cultural influences that relate to our characters go largely ignored, so I'd like to see more attention to that.

That said, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm glad they're even putting effort into more cosmetic options for character customization. I find it encouraging that they still see it as a big enough priority to touch bases on now and then, rather than neglecting it entirely.

I completely agree with you here. We could be getting these new hairstyles on a monthly basis, or perhaps 2 month. They have the resources because they don't mind birthing a new Cartel Pack on a (usually) monthly basis. If they divert their resources also more to the creation of additional hairstyles, and I mean, good-looking hairstyles, that would be amazing.

And while I am happy they gave new customization options, I find it difficult to express solely gratitude if what we got is... well, bad. It's plainly bad. Like surely there will be people out there who absolutely adore the hairstyles but the majority will be avoiding them I am afraid.

But why on Earth would they even design what they designed? I get that this is a fantasy universe but surely even there they have hairstyles similar to the ones we know in the real world. We have hundreds of celebrities that they could draw inspiration from because in the end that is what I, and I think many others with me, want. I want my toons to look relatable, "normal". Sure some cool futuristic hairstyles could be implemented but maintaining that base of relatability and a touch of normalness.

This game has a history of crap hairstyles.

The real world has a history of crap hairstyles, and games mimic real life to some degree. Which leads to the real tension point in this particular discussion:

Different people like different things. If someone, like you for example, do not like the hair styles... then you simply ignore them and move on. Nobody is forcing you to apply them to any of your characters.

And there is very much a generational effect here as well. Being an "old gummer" I personally do not like some of the more contemporary hair styles for men and women, but I embrace anyone's right to cut their hair the way they wish to... and as such... it would be hypocrisy on my part to embrace it in real life, yet demand the studio artists who made digital variations of said hair styles be fired (which is what you demanded in the part of your comment I chose not to quote).

More choices are not in any way bad.... as long as they are not forced to be applied and used.

Edited by Andryah

I actually like that emo-hairstyle on my female agent. It looks good in cutscenes. And it's so far the best short cutted hairstyle for me. Most of the long haircuts (all of them, actually) are clipping through shouders or/and outfits, they are also poorly animated and glitchy.

Shae's hell of a woman, but have you ever tried aiming and shooting with a hairstyle like that irl? I have. Trust me, no matter how much hairspray you use, it will always get in your mouth, your eyes, it will ticke your nose in a most important moment, it will get wet and messy under the helmet, and it will get you killed really fast. Not to mention that if you're a bounty-hunter and you're dealing with fire... well, you'd be called "Torch", too. Just... for a different reason.

So yeah, I'm back to 2007. :D

Frankly a lot of the hair styles have clipping issues or badly designed or hollow past the shape and the low res texture. some have bad colors, for example the dreadlocks clip through the back of the head badly when moving around enough and the black hair color comes out llooking like it was dipped in cow pat to give it that dull green look..

and then the braids har style is another, if you got a chest piece on with a hood down or a backpack or rocket pack or something like that, most of the platted hair is clipping right through these on the back.

the whole hair thing needs to be properly looked at and upgraded because it desperately needs some TLC. it should be made more a priority than bringing more hair styles in, frankly if the devs have the time for new styles they have the time to do something about the hairstyles collectively on men and women.

so while i may consider shae's hairstyle for one on my characters, frankly the whole thing needs to be upgraded.

Edited by Celise
  • Like 1

Should drug test the person who designed these new hairstyles; they had to be high at the time.

I have always said that even the original hair and beard styles look like they were designed by a stoned summer intern.

It is, IMO, the biggest disappointment of the character creation process.

It's why so many of my toons wear hoods of some kind.

All The Best

• Like 1

I have always said that even the original hair and beard styles look like they were designed by a stoned summer intern.

It is, IMO, the biggest disappointment of the character creation process.

It's why so many of my toons wear hoods of some kind.

All The Best

Just take a look at ESO though, there they have cool looking hairstyles that are both fantasy-like but keep very much in touch with the real world. They look realistic and likeable. Really, SWTOR could learn a lot from ESO.

• Like 1

I love the Shae hairstyle and I like the Unisex Style 1. I with the twin rat-tail things weren't there; that sort of kills it. But I still like it well enough. Unisex Style 2...I just...why? It looks fine on females I guess, but I can't imagine ever using it on a male character. Like...why?
  • Like 1

Let the record show we asked relatively recently for new hairstyles and we got them!

I would like to see a a newer mohawk style which is a cross between Qui-Gon Jinn hairstyle and the mohawk found in the new Human Hairstyles II pack just released.

Also a new mullet style featuring a cross between the Qui-Gon Jinn style and the Elvis (Pompadour) style.

• Like 1

so you think maybe this will drop the prices on the gtn? :o

keep talking crap about the new hair styles plz.

I bought mine and I bought a second for a friend in guild- we're just waiting for the in-game bind timer. The pretty one is enough that the prices will be a bit silly for a while- I've already changed two characters with it- there are people who don't want to spend CCs and they will buy at stupid price for a while. All I wanted was the long Shae Vizla hairstyle... it is one of my favourites.

• Like 1