Does not compute for the day

exfell

Inspired by the funny for the day thread. So what situations in the stories have there been that you thought were completely illogical?

Here is one of mine...

Trooper story, general Garza orders you to shoot some republic civilians because they may be sleeper cyborgs waiting to be activated. Your choices are basically to let them go and get reprimanded by the general or to shoot them.

This makes perfect sense because the republic has absolutely no police force or hospitals on Coruscant that might have been in any way useful in resolving this. Also ordering the slaughter of your own citizens that have done nothing is not a crime of any sort.

Edited by exfell

Inspired by the funny for the day thread. So what situations in the stories have there been that you thought were completely illogical?

Here is one of mine...

Trooper story, general Garza orders you to shoot some republic civilians because they may be sleeper cyborgs waiting to be activated. Your choices are basically to let them go and get reprimanded by the general or to shoot them.

This makes perfect sense because the republic has absolutely no police force or hospitals on Coruscant that might have been in any way useful in resolving this. Also ordering the slaughter of your own citizens that have done nothing is not a crime of any sort.

there is a logic behind it, if you release them, you are taking a risk that krel was bluffing and you get slapped on the wrist by garza, it turns out if you do let them go an email arrives later on stating that there was no sign of any work done on them even though there were tools that would suggest it's possible.

if you kill them, from a military point of view: if it's a threat to the republic it's got to be shut down, permanently. you wouldn't allow a terrorist with a bomb vest to pass through security, that would make no sense at all, you would shoot him down before he could detonate the bomb and hurt anyone. same in this case, you can't take the risk they are programmed cyborg killers.

so in the end it does compute.

Edited by Celise

Here is one of mine...

I HATE with a passion how Wraith kills a man that has surrendered on Ord Mantell and you don't even get to protest, not even acknowledge it.

Also you are a solider, you have one job - Follow your orders.

That is the only reason a solider should need.

If they are bred and die for their CO maybe. If it's for what a flag of liberty and justice for all means, no way.

If they are bred and die for their CO maybe. If it's for what a flag of liberty and justice for all means, no way.

I am talking in game of course.

I have three troopers

• One follows orders to the letter, never questions, never falters, killed them in a heart beat, no guilt, never looked back
  • Another is a sadistic bastard will disobey any order for the hell of it cept if an order leads to killing, they died, no regrets, no remorse
  • And my third one is a moralistic sort, she refused the order point blank

It depends on the personality of the character you are playing.

Edited by QuinlanSaathis

there is a logic behind it, if you release them, you are taking a risk that krel was bluffing and you get slapped on the wrist by garza, it turns out if you do let them go an email arrives later on stating that there was no sign of any work done on them even though there were tools that would suggest it's possible.

Right, it is utterly stupid to let them go without a check up. It's not like cyborg parts can't be detected in universe.

The alternative to letting people go however is generally not to just shoot without investigating.

if you kill them, from a military point of view: if it's a threat to the republic it's got to be shut down, permanently. you wouldn't allow a terrorist with a bomb vest to pass through security, that would make no sense at all, you would shoot him down before he could detonate the bomb and hurt anyone. same in this case, you can't take the risk they are programmed cyborg killers. so in the end it does compute.

The analogy does not really fit. It would be more accurate if there were no apparent signs of a bomb vest or a detonator at all, the person was cooperating and you made no effort to check if maybe there actually is a bomb vest before shooting them. Acting so would land the shooter in prison for a very long time in any civilized nation.

Edited by exfell

I am talking in game of course.

I have three troopers

• One follows orders to the letter, never questions, never falters, killed them in a heart beat, no guilt, never looked back
  • Another is a sadistic bastard will disobey any order for the hell of it cept if an order leads to killing, they died, no regrets, no remorse
  • And my third one is a moralistic sort, she refused the order point blank

It depends on the personality of the character you are playing.

Wish I had time for multiple playthroughs like that. I just finished my first trooper. He refused the order. I see him as deeply loyal to the Republic and he is VERY willing to follow a dark order but NOT on his own citizens. If it was Imps he'd follow the order. But if it was Imps and it was completely up to him, no military orders, he'd let them go. He can justify it if it's not his decision and it's not against his own people xD

Athiss flashpoint:

Light side you let the infected people be rescued and spread the infection across the galaxy.

Dark side you leave them there, destroy the beacon so they can't be rescued, thereby saving the galaxy from corruption.

Someone has an oversimplified view of dark side vs. light side. The light side choice should not always be to let someone live. It should be what benefits the greater good.

There are a few other places when LS is let someone live so you can kill them in battle rather than painlessly. :mad:

The part of the story I think is messed up is that Koth and Lana are buddy buddy. When Koth is totally opposed to anything Dark you choose and hates you for it, but somehow he's still friends with Lana....

That's cos Lana is basically a friggin Jedi. When does she really ever do anything reprehensible? She's like totally light side to me.

There are a few other places when LS is let someone live so you can kill them in battle rather than painlessly. :mad:

Kaon Under Seige:

For the Empire, mercy-killing the officer who gets infected with the rakghoul plague is light-side. Leaving him to to painfully mutate (and then kill him anyway) is dark-side.

For the Republic... mercy-killing him is dark-side, and leaving him to mutate painfully and then kill him is light-side.

*brain short-circuits* WHAT??