Why did I lose my guild name

QuinlanSaathis

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like being accused of lying.

Please understand, it's nothing personal against you. I've learned through bitterly painful personal experience that you cannot believe every sad story people tell on the Internet. So when your statements began to seem inconsistent, my skepticism kicked in.

When it comes down to brass tacks, you need to accept the fact you are not going to be able to get your guild's original name back. Based on both what the CS person told you and what the GM of the new guild told you, it sounds like your guild name became flagged as 'available' at some point (probably at a time when no one in your guild was an active player and/or subscriber), and that other person happened to create a guild using the same name. If this indeed the case (as seems likely at this point), EAWare CS is not going to take that name away from the new guild, period. That would be punishing a bunch of innocent players for something completely out of their hands and not their fault.

It sucks, and I fully understand why you're unhappy about it, but you're not going to get any kind of 'justice' here, as you put it. The name is gone for good. Now, perhaps you could potentially persuade them to flag your guild again for a rename if you're unhappy with the new name you picked upon login, so you can pick something else you'll be happier with in the long run. I'd try that angle, but I can't guarantee that would work.

Edited by AscendingSky

When exactly did you take your break from the game? Did you login at all during that time?

The last merge was late 2012 and if your guild had the same name as another then you got "guildname@oldserver" with an option to rename. Unless you took a break for best part of 5 years without logging in or subscribing then the CS explanation doesn't make sense.

When exactly did you take your break from the game? Did you login at all during that time?

The last merge was late 2012 and if your guild had the same name as another then you got "guildname@oldserver" with an option to rename. Unless you took a break for best part of 5 years without logging in or subscribing then the CS explanation doesn't make sense.

My break was a couple of months just before and after the release of Mass Effect Andromeda.

Played 2 characters through ME3 and 2 characters through ME:A

My break was a couple of months just before and after the release of Mass Effect Andromeda.

Played 2 characters through ME3 and 2 characters through ME:A

So ME:A came out March this year? I'm guessing then you left January time maybe, 3 months gone??

Did you login at all during that time?

Please understand, it's nothing personal against you. I've learned through bitterly painful personal experience that you cannot believe every sad story people tell on the Internet. So when your statements began to seem inconsistent, my skepticism kicked in.

When it comes down to brass tacks, you need to accept the fact you are not going to be able to get your guild's original name back. Based on both what the CS person told you and what the GM of the new guild told you, it sounds like your guild name became flagged as 'available' at some point (probably at a time when no one in your guild was an active player and/or subscriber), and that other person happened to create a guild using the same name. If this indeed the case (as seems likely at this point), EAWare CS is not going to take that name away from the new guild, period. That would be punishing a bunch of innocent players for something completely out of their hands and not their fault.

It sucks, and I fully understand why you're unhappy about it, but you're not going to get any kind of 'justice' here, as you put it. The name is gone for good. Now, perhaps you could potentially persuade them to flag your guild again for a rename if you're unhappy with the new name you picked upon login, so you can pick something else you'll be happier with in the long run. I'd try that angle, but I can't guarantee that would work.

This is likely what happened. If there was a day where your sub was up and unfortunate luck occurred when a person decided to create a guild with the same name. It's possible that the other guild leader had that sanctuary guild on another server and decided to recreate it on a more popular one during the start of the transfer sale which is what CS meant.

This is likely what happened. If there was a day where your sub was up and unfortunate luck occurred when a person decided to create a guild with the same name. It's possible that the other guild leader had that sanctuary guild on another server and decided to recreate it on a more popular one during the start of the transfer sale which is what CS meant.

The chances of all this happening to coincide with a new guild with my name must be fairly astronomical.

Maybe the Universe speaks.

The chances of all this happening to coincide with a new guild with my name must be fairly astronomical.

Maybe the Universe speaks.

Sanctuary isn't exactly an obscure word. If it was a weird or obscure guild name, then I'd agree it didn't sound very coincidental, but Sanctuary? I can totally buy there would be multiple groups of people wanting to use that word for their guild name, either alone or with other words.

Sanctuary isn't exactly an obscure word. If it was a weird or obscure guild name, then I'd agree it didn't sound very coincidental, but Sanctuary? I can totally buy there would be multiple groups of people wanting to use that word for their guild name, either alone or with other words.

But the chances of someone wanting on the day or two it was available has some variables to meet.

For a start I had to be on a break

I had to have a sub lapse due to a credit card issue (no other reason for a sub lapse for me)

There had to be a credit card issue

I had to take more than 24h to resolve this issue

Person needed to try for the name at the right time

But the chances of someone wanting on the day or two it was available has some variables to meet.

I had to have a sub lapse due to a credit card issue (no other reason for a sub lapse for me)

Yes I agree. It's like winning the lottery rare but said guild leader does exist so it's a rare lightning strike moment. I saw a video of lightning hitting a moving car. Talk about crazy chances. It can happen.

Even if your subscription was maintained the entire time you were taking a break from the game, the moment the character who is the GM of the guild hit day 29 without logging in, they lost the guild. The next subscriber to log in is then promoted to GM automatically. If no subscribed character in the guild logged in subsequent to day 29, it's possible some sort of nebulous state was created that caused the guild to be flagged/treated as inactive or non-existent and freed up the name, so the window of opportunity for someone else to create a guild with the same name would be anywhere from your 29th day of inactivity up until the time you logged in again.

Maybe someone saw you werent using the guild so they requested a name change to get the name for their active guild instead. It's so easy to just make new guilds name reservation can easily become a problem.

Even if your subscription was maintained the entire time you were taking a break from the game, the moment the character who is the GM of the guild hit day 29 without logging in, they lost the guild. The next subscriber to log in is then promoted to GM automatically. If no subscribed character in the guild logged in subsequent to day 29, it's possible some sort of nebulous state was created that caused the guild to be flagged/treated as inactive or non-existent and freed up the name, so the window of opportunity for someone else to create a guild with the same name would be anywhere from your 29th day of inactivity up until the time you logged in again.

That would close the entire guild not just free up the name.

And as I said that would of made more sense.

But that is not what happened.

Maybe someone saw you werent using the guild so they requested a name change to get the name for their active guild instead. It's so easy to just make new guilds name reservation can easily become a problem.

Possible but that would have left a (digital) paper trail and CS would have been able to tell me that is what happened but they didn't.

Yes I would have been a little annoyed under those circumstances but I would also have been a lot more understanding if I received the truth.

And as I said that would of made more sense.

But that is not what happened.

Not necessarily. They could have just taken your name and assigned it to someone else, forcing a name change on your part.

Lost Guild Name - Advised by CS to Talk to Dev via Forums (Eric, Keith please read)

Came back from a short break and my guild name of many years had "expired"

I have never heard of this before.

Taken breaks much longer than this one, up to a year and still had the guild name when I returned.

So ***???

After 28 days of inactivity the game automatically passes ownership to anyone else in the guild. If you are the only one currently in the guild my best guess is that the guild is registered as inactive and the name made available. I had no idea about this before I happend to stumble over a youtubechannel that made me aware of it.. I can link it here:

Edited by zappito

As others have stated, that is not how it works. The guild leadership remains in a state of limbo until a subscriber logs in, but the guild is not "closed."

After 28 days of inactivity the game automatically passes ownership to anyone else in the guild. If you are the only one currently in the guild my best guess is that the guild is registered as inactive and the name made available. I had no idea about this before I happend to stumble over a youtubechannel that made me aware of it.. I can link it here:

I will watch this later when I have some time.

However, I have taken a year off and have only been back in the game playing regularly (cept for the Mass Effect break) for 2 years or so and I lost nothing during that year so losing the name after a couple of months still makes no sense to me.

I will watch this later when I have some time.

However, I have taken a year off and have only been back in the game playing regularly (cept for the Mass Effect break) for 2 years or so and I lost nothing during that year so losing the name after a couple of months still makes no sense to me.

Were other people in your guild online during that year off? Did the guild even exist back then?

If no one was online in those couple of months you were gone (as you have indicated that you were the only one even still playing the game), the guild would be flagged as inactive. The name's ripe for the taking. Nothing underhanded or deceitful happened; it's just the way it works.

Were other people in your guild online during that year off? Did the guild even exist back then?

If no one was online in those couple of months you were gone (as you have indicated that you were the only one even still playing the game), the guild would be flagged as inactive. The name's ripe for the taking. Nothing underhanded or deceitful happened; it's just the way it works.

The guild has existed for most of the life of this game.

There was no one online within that year I took off either and the name wasn't flagged

Having read the redacted version of the transcript, I'd say it went about as well as you had a right to hope. Unless he was lying to you (not impossible, but ... unlikely), he didn't do anything except create a guild and call it that, meaning that when he did it, your guild's name was already unlocked for some reason.

Let it go. Don't be the Tracer Missile guy, nor one of the Jedi Robes guys. Please.

Rename it to "The Sanctuary" or "Our Sanctuary" or something. Job done.

Logans Run had Sanctuary long before swtor or diablo.