SWTOR is less than a month old, wow is 7 years old. Why do people compare?

Dathron

If I see one more comparison to WoW, my head might explode.

This game has never said it was trying to be WoW. From the get-go, it has been advertising itself as being different than most MMO's.

Companion system - Never been done before.

Voice acting - Never been done before (not at this scale, at least).

Legacy system - Obviously not out yet, but very unique.

Conversation choices, which make a difference in how a story unfolds - Unheard of.

Heck, even the way the game is played is somewhat unique. I've never experienced combat quite as frantic, and mentally demanding as this game.

Am I saying the game is perfect? Of course not. They obviously have work to do. As long as the patches keep rolling out, I will be perfectly happy to keep my subscription going.

To go to the car analogy everybody is so fond of using (as flawed as it is), all of these comparisons is kind of like buying a mustang and being upset because it can't haul as much weight as that truck that was released seven years ago, even though it was never advertised to haul weight.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as that truck
nope, u wrong wow and swtor both "car" from the same segment build with same purpose and cost the same money

i play both (for inc 2month atleast (thanks to forced 2month sub over 1month that come with game to play)) and enjoyed alot of many games for SW universe, Rogue squadron? hell yeah xwing pew-pew-pew and so on

Edited by navarh

True - if graphics editing is the expectation. But this controversy has moved toward placating an audience that also wants sound design, video editing and label distribution built in. They want the entire suite. And WoW hasn't been the only benchmark. It's almost as if the best combinations from every game ever made are expected because of TOR's price tag to develop. BW made it perfectly clear where they were putting their money - into voice acted storylines.

Dev does want to find the compromise, and they are working in that direction. But it won't happen overnight because of their $200m or so commitment to the original vision. I really think some figure "well they obviously have the money so why not?" That's the fantasy many are mistakenly choosing to embrace.

You managed to hit the nail on the head, perhaps without realizing it. Voice acting and storylines are great but are the staple of a single player RPG, not an MMO. BioWare chose to market the game as an MMO so some baseline MMO features should have been present at release. They weren't and now the dev team is rushing to catch up.

The people asking about those features are MMO players. If that is who BioWare wants to attract and keep they need to work overtime to implement them before players wander off. Die hard fanbois and biodrones will probably sub, at least for while, but those few thousand fanatics will not sustain this title alone. We need Judy Carbuyer and the average MMO gamers, in spite of the fantasyland of "true believers only are allowed to play this game" some folks want to create.

The only people who want this game to fail are the fanatics deluding themselves into thinking that if every non-fanboi "goes back to WoW" they will be left with a paradise of other zealots and they will all hold hands and sing songs. What they don't realize is that EA/BioWare doesn't care if you wear the magic underpants or not, they only care if you have $15/month in those underpants and are giving it to them.

Whether people know/admit/realize it or not, standards exist in online gaming features and if you don't have a bunch of them on release you better get on the stick and implement them fast or lose subs. This game needs subs to thrive even if that means some folks who aren't "true believers" get to stay. People want to make this about vision or purity or innovation or their grandmother's rice pudding: it isn't. It is about an MMO in 2012 keeping a lot of subs and what we have to do to keep them.

Automotive production is not Software development. Stop using the same stupid *********** comparison, it makes ZERO SENSE. Hell even in automotive development you have recalls of faulty parts. Toyota somehow managed to not go out of business. Go figure.

Automotive production is not Software development. Stop using the same stupid *********** comparison, it makes ZERO SENSE. Hell even in automotive development you have recalls of faulty parts. Toyota somehow managed to not go out of business. Go figure.

Hehehe. Like I said in my post it is a horribly flawed comparison.

But, I notice you couldn't resist in the last half of your post :p

Perhaps you might have seen the van sized computer centers behind pit walls that compute real time car telemetries, weather, air/track temperatures and air density to trim the cars during a race. Or not. Either way they're run by software and team's with the smoothest most accurate running software have a distinct advantage. Teams don't share their secrets. Game companies don't either. Edited by GalacticKegger

The standards have changed. You cannot push unfinished products to the market anymore. People expect quality.

And WoW wasn't that buggy upon release. It had some issues with raid content, but overall the game felt quite polished.

Skyrim says what's up. In fact it follows from this standard that ANY DLC CONTENT is part of an unfinished game, as that DLC content is usually planned and mapped out ahead.

Really? So my 2011 Toyoto Corolla had or has a team of dudes following me around everywhere? Measuring metrics on my for wind resistance and fuel consumption. Not so much. MASS AUTOMOBILE PRODUCTION is not the same as Software development. Thank you come again.
If you race professionally, then yes.

This game has never said it was trying to be WoW.

That's actually did say they were taking a lot from WoW and other games intentionally. One of their selling points was in fact 'familiarity'...

This game was designed to be very much like the current market leader.

That's actually did say they were taking a lot from WoW and other games intentionally. One of their selling points was in fact 'familiarity'...

This game was designed to be very much like the current market leader.

OCTOBER 21, SAN FRANCISCO – LucasArts and BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced the development of Star Wars®: The Old Republic™, a story-driven massively multiplayer online PC game set in the timeframe of the Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ franchise. Star Wars: The Old Republic, being developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, represents an innovative approach to interactive entertainment, featuring immersive storytelling, dynamic combat and intelligent companion characters.

I'm not saying they've never hinted at familiarity or anything like that, but I guarantee there was more publicity about what they were doing differently than what would be the same as WoW.

Edited by Hueyk

Companion system - Never been done before.

Sorry, many MMO's have a companion system. Some even have/had an "affection" parameter.

Voice acting - Never been done before (not at this scale, at least).

"On this scale", you're right. But that's not doing something "new", that's just doing a lot of something old.

Legacy system - Obviously not out yet, but very unique.

Not really, all it is is an account-wide benefit system. Kinda like guild exp/rep but for your account. Hardly original, honestly.

Conversation choices, which make a difference in how a story unfolds - Unheard of.

This is the big one, though. "Unheard of"? Seriously, don't make me laugh. I made the choice for Cloud to "fall in love with" Aeris, and have to admit I was pretty shocked when she died. That was, what, 14 or 15 years ago?

Choice influencing storyline is a basic for many SPRPG's, implementing it into an MMORPG is hardly groundbreaking.

If I see one more comparison to WoW, my head might explode.

This game has never said it was trying to be WoW. From the get-go, it has been advertising itself as being different than most MMO's.

This actually completely false they have actually stated just the opposite. No, I'm going spend my time looking for link to you but it was very recent interview where Ohlen I think specifically named WoW and said they didn't want to deviate too much from what players were used to.

Perhaps you might have seen the van sized computer centers behind pit walls that compute real time car telemetries, weather, air/track temperatures and air density to trim the cars during a race. Or not. Either way they're run by software and team's with the smoothest most accurate running software have a distinct advantage. Teams don't share their secrets. Game companies don't either.

Bollocks.

They use commercially available software. Any in house software would still be indentical performance wise to software used by another car manufacturer.

It's a bleeding terrible analogy, stop using it.

Sorry, many MMO's have a companion system. Some even have/had an "affection" parameter.

Example please? Not saying you're lying, just curious as I've never seen it before.

"On this scale", you're right. But that's not doing something "new", that's just doing a lot of something old.

You can't really compare this level of voice acting to hearing NPC's spout off one-liners when you right-click them.

Not really, all it is is an account-wide benefit system. Kinda like guild exp/rep but for your account. Hardly original, honestly.

The originality is in how it will be implemented. I am talking about the family tree thing and what-not. Really it depends on how it is implemented. They were somewhat vague in the video, but it seems like it will be a pretty original way to give account-wide benefits.

This is the big one, though. "Unheard of"? Seriously, don't make me laugh. I made the choice for Cloud to "fall in love with" Aeris, and have to admit I was pretty shocked when she died. That was, what, 14 or 15 years ago?

1. You are comparing single player games to MMO's. Two different worlds.

2. That choice was like a single moment in the game that had no impact on the story and in no way had any impact on whether Aeris dies or not. Not that it matters much if we are comparing single player rpgs to mmo's because convo choices have become a staple of western rpgs in the last few years.

Choice influencing storyline is a basic for many SPRPG's, implementing it into an MMORPG is hardly groundbreaking.

Groundbreaking may be a bit of hyperbole, but you still cannot compare single player rpg's to MMO's. It is like comparing a first person shooter to a racing game.

This actually completely false they have actually stated just the opposite. No, I'm going spend my time looking for link to you but it was very recent interview where Ohlen I think specifically named WoW and said they didn't want to deviate too much from what players were used to.

Not deviating and slavlishly imitating are to different things. Since the inception of this game wayyyyyyyy back when all they've ever said was that they wanted to add story as a pillar to the tradiontal mmo pillars of combat, exploration and progression. They've done exactly whta they set out to do. Not copy or dethrone wow. That was what RIFT tried to do.