SWTOR is less than a month old, wow is 7 years old. Why do people compare?

Dathron

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people want to compare...start comparing launches. WoW had one of the worst launches in MMO history hands down, and if anyone tries to argue that fact we can do that all day.

So if you want to compare a 7 year old game to a 9 day old game, compare launches and WoW will get trashed.

Not to mention, people keep acting like WoW is some sort of original MMO. There are only 3-4 things in that game that are original ideas. Other than that, everything has been taken straight from other MMO's before WoW and MMO's that have been released after WoW then slapped with a different name is all. Hell, WoW's IP isn't even original as they ripped it straight from Warhammer, and again...added some different names.

The argument is old, stale, and lame, so again. If you want to compare WoW and SW:TOR compare them both at 9 days old, and again...WoW will get thrashed.

WoW had broken classes (ie the Druid) for over 2 years. WoW had holes in the world EVERYWHERE for years until they were almost all taken care of. How long did it even take them to get tier 1 armor graphics in the game? Their 5 dungeons, strath, scholo etc were broken and could be run with 40 man raids (they were 5 mans). WoW's queues make SW:TOR's queues look like childs play and lasted for almost the first year. There were times they broke WoW with a patch and the servers were down for 72+ hours..I can go on all day.

Edited by Nidien

I didn't ask you for evidence. I asked you for one example.

Not to be funny mate but you're a blind fanboy. I could post my experience of another game but I'm not prepared to get into a debate about it unless you can first backup the statement that you made. If you can back it up with hard facts then it trumps my personal experience. However if you had the hard facts I think you would have posted them by now rather than trying to look for specific points to argue. You made a wide statement competing this launch to all other MMOs. You either have evidence for this or you don't.

I agree. Game developers have become lazy due to the accessibility to the internet. They find a bug and say "we will patch it after release". However, sometimes they find a bug, but have deadlines to meet....You cannot really blame them then.

It isn't just that. Games have also become much more complex in the last few years. It was much easier to release bug-free games back in the day, because those games were much more simple and easier to develop in general.

Also, gamers have become much more demanding. Back in the day games were still ridden by bugs (hell, just think how buggy Baldur's gate was), but players simply were used to it and worked around the bugs. Now they whine and quit in rage :D

Not to be funny mate but you're a blind fanboy. I could post my experience of another game but I'm not prepared to get into a debate about it unless you can first backup the statement that you made. If you can back it up with hard facts then it trumps my personal experience. However if you had the hard facts I think you would have posted them by now rather than trying to look for specific points to argue. You made a wide statement competing this launch to all other MMOs. You either have evidence for this or you don't.

It was most smooth launch of all time in his oppinion. theres the evidence. :)

So basically you don't have an example and don't want to admit it. Ok.

Hos was this most polished launch of all time? I missed it while i waited in queues for over 24 hours total on the weekend.

What do queue have to do with polish exactly? Do you even have the slightest idea of what you're talking about?

It's a necessary practice to ensure that MMORPG games will ever hit the shelves. It's much less excusable for most single player games, as they're much simpler (not all of them), but for MMORPGs it's to be expected, and it's warranted.

Okay, explain what it is about a client/server system that made the resource node bug so difficult to fix before release. That one got reported in beta.

Jesus.... mate hes asking for ONE EXAMPLE of a prominent issue that is experianced by many people since beta.

I can give one without even thinking about it... bugged gathering nodes... its minor, its been there for ages.

Why cant you do that? it simply seems like your trolling, how is he a fanboy when he is asking something so simple from you.

My god a debate needs some input from both ends, you say he needs to prove his statements yet you dont? hypocrit or troll...?

What do queue have to do with polish exactly? Do you even have the slightest idea of what you're talking about?

Its part of the launch. Anyways if you talk about how ready the game was or if people had many issues, i for one think that this game was released way too early and it feels like were the beta testers here playing an outdated game and have to wait months year ot get it up todate or to same level that many other MMORPGs were at launch point.

So basically you have no evidence to back up your statement. See two can play at that game my little fanboy. As for queues and polish, does that really need explaining?

People are stupid.

They're childish too. But I'm sure you knew that.

The reason they get compared is because 90% of the players in TOR have played WoW. And it's currently the #1 MMO out there. A brilliant sax player gets compared to Kenny G or Sonny Rollins. They don't get compared to the boy down the street.

Deal with it. Even Bioware's dev team has said a lot of their inspiration comes from WoW, and as the Bioware CEO said: If it ain't broken - why should we fix it?

I dunno about you but I wouldnt release a product that has mass frame rate and performance issues on some rigs. they changed something from the last beta build to the live build. and it screwed things up for some people

Skyrim did

It went on to win GOTY

ALL games released any more are going to have bugs. How the developer deals with them is the indication of how the game will survive.

Okay, explain what it is about a client/server system that made the resource node bug so difficult to fix before release. That one got reported in beta.

It may be easy,it may not be, depending on how buried it is under the rest of the code. But that's not all there is to the picture. Is it a priority? Considering how many nodes there are available, I'd say it's not. So it's pretty obvious that they focused on fixing other, more important bugs.

Jesus.... mate hes asking for ONE EXAMPLE of a prominent issue that is experianced by many people since beta.

No he's not. He's looking for a line of debate that will deflect from the fact that he can't back up his original statement. He's not asking for an issue from this game he's asking for a comparison to a different game.

It may be easy,it may not be, depending on how buried it is under the rest of the code. But that's not all there is to the picture. Is it a priority? Considering how many nodes there are available, I'd say it's not. So it's pretty obvious that they focused on fixing other, more important bugs.

So you can't explain it then. Thought not.

Exactly. I have my my gripes with the game but understand your going to have growing pains with swtor. I thinkj bioware will fix them and i am going to give this a chance. I like it very much so far.

I'm happy to do that and am doing for that matter. I just don't like the way these fanboys defend any issue to the hilt, it's not good for the game or other players.

Exactly. I have my my gripes with the game but understand your going to have growing pains with swtor. I thinkj bioware will fix them and i am going to give this a chance. I like it very much so far.

despite spelling errors.... This^^

I can't recall the last time an MMO had me wanting to come back dailyi. WoW? Yeah, we're talking YEARS ago, if ever... Rift? Good game. No, great game, but even that lost me mid 20s when I got slammed with massive FPS issues in larger towns (on low). LOTRO? Don't even get me started on that pathetic POS.

THIS is the game I've been waiting for, perfect or not (and it aint). This game, backed by EA/Bioware will succeed where WoW failed (with me) in providing decent storytelling, a decent game, and interaction. They WILL get there, you just have to be patient and give them the time.

A UI is something you get used to. Some programs I have used, I HATED the UI when I first used them. Now it does not bother me because I know where everything is. The chat window can be expanded a little bit, maybe that will help?

They could very well be implementing a custom UI. It obviously was not on their top priority list. They were probably worried more about the core game than anything else for the release.

No their top priority was the stupid voice acting that people will get bored of, a good ui, less bugs, and keeping up with the times should have been a priority over voice acting!

Once again...WoW is not the "best" MMO. It is the most successful, and has the most players...because it's accessible to anyone with a computer.

WoW has never offered anything innovative since it's creation. Even instancing dungeons was an EQ feature released at it's peak(shortly before it's decline) that WoW simply improved upon.

And well spouting off at the mouth about what it takes to be successful in this industry is a joke because the truth is no one really knows. WoW threw all the stats off by valuing quantity over quality and creating a mass influx of new MMO players who had never even touched a PC game before let alone an MMORPG in their lives.

I can always spot someone who's first MMO was WoW by the way they post about it. I'll reiterate that WoW was not innovative nor was it the first to do anything aside from modify a few features that really were not a big deal one way or the other.

It's not about the genre, it is about WoW. WoW stagnated the entire genre with it's quality over quantity success. You want to know why you can't find a new game to peak your interest...well that's why. WoW perfected the way to hand you leftovers with a new name and publishers only care about reaching that same success rather than allowing game companies to produce new "risky" games that are actually creative and innovative.

WoW is the reason MMORPGs can't move forward. No that new car analogy doesn't fit.

At some point you'll wake up and understand that for MMORPGs to move forward WoW must be removed from everyone's mind because a cheap inexpensive game that can be played on anything will never be creative or innovative.

SWTOR at least offers a non-fantasy theme park that is "new" in terms of something different from the 7 years of WoW. With CONSTRUCTIVE criticism after the "new shiny" kids go away the game may add new and innovative modes of play. Right now it's cookie cutter and that's fine because if it kills WoW the genre can finally begin to move forward for once in seven freaking years.

Plz tell me what is new in SWTOR .. plz do i m not trolling i just want to know