The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

This franchise has no future

Ricul

Star Wars was a great space adventure. I love the trilogy and i like this game but unfortunately it has no future.

As RedLetterMedia said it is a very small universe and you cannot do much with it.

The fans love Jedi and the universe but if you think about it there isn't much to make with it. It is the same reason Republic side is so underrepresented in this game. The Jedi philosophy doesn't allow for much variation in charakter.

You show a Jedi, you play a Jedi it will always be the same philosophy. You just cannot have interesting charakters because of the restrictions.

In a universe of force users you want to be or want to see force users so either you go with Jedi wich is a very narrow point of view or you go with Sith. Sith has some potential but you will never root for the bad guys....well at least it has no mass audience appeal.

You may point at Rogue One but that was all related to the original trilogy and the movies are still somewhat new again. I predict that this francise will a) be milked to death by Disney and b) people will get sick of it very fast.

It will be a cool thing to hate wich is basically death.

If you take out the Force, Jedi and Sith this universe has nothing to offer. What do you guys think?

Edit: It kind of reminds me of Lord of the Rings.

Edited by Ricul

I love Redletter media, but I disagree. I always come back to one of my favorite Star Wars books Tales From Jabba's Palace. It's a book of short stories with no force users.

I love the weird aliens and creatures of Star Wars more than the Force stuff. There are lots of great stories to be told in animation, comics, and movies that have nothing to do with Jedi and Sith.

Look, I genuinely love the concept of the force, but even so, my favorite stories in SWTOR are Trooper and Smuggler. I also appreciate the likes of Han Solo very much and Rogue One was PHENOMENAL for me.

So...? I guess I wanted to say it is about more than Jedi / Sith(even if they are central pieces, which they are). Kinda like chess isn't really about queen and king. Sometimes a pawn / rook is worth more than a queen lol. And when you apply human values to that pawn(like, say, Trooper or Cassian), it becomes VERY enticing indeed.

I love Redletter media, but I disagree. I always come back to one of my favorite Star Wars books Tales From Jabba's Palace. It's a book of short stories with no force users.

I love the weird aliens and creatures of Star Wars more than the Force stuff. There are lots of great stories to be told in animation, comics, and movies that have nothing to do with Jedi and Sith.

Oh come on. The entire X-Wing book series was AMAZING. There is plenty to offer without the force.

Honestly this just sounds like someone who knows nothing about the wider Star Wars universe.

I can see someone who thinks the universe starts and ends with the movies coming to this conclusion. However, a quick google search would show just are ridiculous this idea is.

Get out there my friend and experience what this universe has to offer (regardless of whether it is officially canon or not)

Star Wars was a great space adventure. I love the trilogy and i like this game but unfortunately it has no future.

As RedLetterMedia said it is a very small universe and you cannot do much with it.

The fans love Jedi and the universe but if you think about it there isn't much to make with it. It is the same reason Republic side is so underrepresented in this game. The Jedi philosophy doesn't allow for much variation in charakter.

You show a Jedi, you play a Jedi it will always be the same philosophy. You just cannot have interesting charakters because of the restrictions.

In a universe of force users you want to be or want to see force users so either you go with Jedi wich is a very narrow point of view or you go with Sith. Sith has some potential but you will never root for the bad guys....well at least it has no mass audience appeal.

You may point at Rogue One but that was all related to the original trilogy and the movies are still somewhat new again. I predict that this francise will a) be milked to death by Disney and b) people will get sick of it very fast.

It will be a cool thing to hate wich is basically death.

If you take out the Force, Jedi and Sith this universe has nothing to offer. What do you guys think?

Edit: It kind of reminds me of Lord of the Rings.

:)And what would Star Trek be without "Star Trek" . . . ? Wait I know the answer to that>>> Babylon 5;)

Given the star Wars franchise survived about 20 years without virtually no new movies, then when the new movies finally came, it seemed that the franchise even have survived George Lucas, so . . .

Edited by t-darko

:)And what would Star Trek be without "Star Trek" . . . ? Wait I know the answer to that>>> Babylon 5;)

Given the star Wars franchise survived about 20 years without virtually no new movies, then when the new movies finally came, it seemed that the franchise even have survived George Lucas, so . . .

It's quite similar to Star Trek, really. Can't wait to see what that new series is about(Discovery iirc).

Last I heard Star Trek: Discovery was in real trouble of being shelved.

ooooh...don't say that. oooh...ack...and the year begun so nicely. Logan, John Wick etc...ugh. This mustn't come to pass.

I think Rogue one's success proved you can add a lot more to the story then the major story arc. There is room for tons of smaller stories inbetween.

Even if the main saga ended with the Rebels winning - there is a lot of room for growth.

For example return of the Infinite Empire.

Instead of 2 major armies pitting wars against each other - it can be turned into something much smaller and focused.

After the New Republic is formed, reports coming back to the senate show signs of Outter rim colonies being wiped out. Just death and destruction is all that remains but no on knows who is doing it.

A team is sent out of Jedi and Troopers to find out the truth behind the colonies.

They can either go with an old evil that has been awakened. Or go another route - of an existing evil that always existed but only waited to act now when the major players were weak and unable to fight another war.

the old EU and the fact it stretchered well over 1000 years plus says otherwise.

Disney has an advantage in that regard they can look at what elements work and use them to make a new story, for example a Jedi that isn't bound by their rules well they can look at Kyle katarn Zane carrack and Kyle katarn and use that to make their own.