38Gb

DarthMintCake

Compressing the files would give longer load times. They are compressed during the download, though.

A decent SSD is ~ 40¢/gig, mechanical drives are like 5¢/gig.

Edited by BOTA-X

38GB is nothing now in gaming most games will be in the range of 30+ but some are smaller.

SWTOR - 75.5GB

WoW - 51GB

ESO - 50.5GB ( no updates for some time )

Guild Wars 1 - 3.16GB

Guild Wars 2 - 27 GB ( out dated no updates for some time )

those are some MMO games I have installed on my PC so 38GB isn't much look at WoW and ESO.

I think maybe the real problem is not the disk space used, but the poor design of long load screens and such.

This is because I wouldn't care how big the game was if it was installed on my 3TB hard disk, but in order to speed up the slow loads I installed it on my SSD where the space is much more limited and expensive to extend.

Solution: better design so load screens do not take so long. Heck in non-windowed mode just alt tabbing for a second takes another load screen to get back alt-tabbed back in, that's probably the worst of it all. In windowed mode there is no load, but pvp/gsf lags like a dog for me in windowed mode.

Edited by Stellarcrusade

Mass Effect Andromeda comes out in a couple of weeks.

From the requirements:

Hard Drive: At least 55 GB of free space

It's not even an MMO.

Well Witcher 3 is 51gb with almost all the addons I have except a few for multiplayer and such i didn't bother getting so I can see why ME4 is that big as well, more open world, better graphics, etc.

If you want really fast load screens, turn your graphics to all-crap settings. The load screen is giving you a nice pretty picture while 3D meshes, bump maps, light sources, calculated reflections, shadows, aliasing, etc., are all rendering in the background.

Otherwise what you'd see is the sky map appear, with nothing, followed by bunch of white geometrical shapes with no shading, then initial bump maps, etc., etc., until the picture rendered.

Kind of ugly.

If you have a texture cache, turn it on.

I think maybe the real problem is not the disk space used, but the poor design of long load screens and such.

This is because I wouldn't care how big the game was if it was installed on my 3TB hard disk, but in order to speed up the slow loads I installed it on my SSD where the space is much more limited and expensive to extend.

Solution: better design so load screens do not take so long. Heck in non-windowed mode just alt tabbing for a second takes another load screen to get back alt-tabbed back in, that's probably the worst of it all. In windowed mode there is no load, but pvp/gsf lags like a dog for me in windowed mode.

This. had to move it to my secondary drive because it became too big for my SSD, which i specifically got to make the game load faster.... SSDs aren't cheap