AMD "Ryzen"

Samurai_S

damnit, all you do is say a bunch of crap about what i say, when i give the right answeres. Just because you don't have the right intelligence and hate me doesn't give you the right to attack me for no reason, when what i have said has been proven. The best thing i can do is /ignore ignorance.

It's not only what i know , but also a most other major Tech Youtubers as well that have backed up what i said.

Because you are wrong.

Paulshardware is not a site, you shouldn't use an i7 for this game when an i5 will suffice perfectly well and the i7 runs on 8 threads not 4.

Try harder next time and I won't have anything to critique you on.

Edited by MeNaCe-NZ

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 7700k is very good for gaming, not just Swtor, with a 4.9 ghtz and an OC to sometimes 5.2gightz with 4 Cores and 4 threads, and it just a few frames better than the 6900

https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz

4 cores, 8 threads. Please stop making stuff up.

Also 4.5 is turbo not 4.9. You will need decent cooling to get 4.9 anyway though it's not difficult but 5.2 is pretty much not going to happen for most people unless they are running some really tight after market cooling and really luck out in the silicone lottery and still need delid your CPU to hope to get that stable with reasonable temperatures.

Unless you're running 4K across multi monitors, the Ti is over kill for swtor. Obviously if you play other games that need more power it's a good card, but I find the standard 1080 to be enough for most games today on max setting.

a 1080 is a very good Gpu, i was just very lucky in being able to get into a program where i could get me an Nvidia 1080Ti , then i put on Hybrid since it has gotten' to about 100 degrees in the house.

a 1080 or an AMD/ATI ( I still say ATI lol) Vega 64 seems very good for most games out there, even the more demanding ones. I'm gonna do some Tech background stuff on the Vega's since the Embargo was just lifted on what people could say about the Vegas.

I'd love to get a Threadripper, though i don't need 1 at all, i just believe in being as "Future proof" as possible.

EDIT: Mistake on getting any Vegas, sine they have now cranked their prices $100.00 higher than they said it would it would be and not better performance either above the 1080 to warrant the price gouge.

Edited by MandFlurry

Yeah Paul is also on Bitwit's Youtube channel sometimes, and there's Jayz2cents, GamersNexus, Linus Techtips. I do a lot of not only Youtube channels, but i do look at places like TomsHardware on google and I walways look through as many reviews for each product i buy.

Never buy blindly, and avoid Intel and AMD fanbois, as they will tell you that Intel/AMD is always the best when that is not always so.

I don't know what "someone" has against me here, but i had to put some people on /ignore because the fighting was just stupid.

Two points to make:

1. As I said in an earlier post - the i7-7700K is the best CPU for running SWTOR, but not everyone can afford it. A Ryzen 5 competes very favourably price/performance-wise with any lesser Intel chip such as the i5-7400/7500/7600(K) that most people end up using. Not only are the Ryzen CPUs cheaper, but so are the motherboards, so you can get into a good gaming setup much cheaper with AMD. Plus all the Ryzen chips are unlocked (overclock-able) and you don't need a certain chipset to overclock them, whereas, for Intel you need an expensive "K" chip and Z270 based motherboard to overclock.

For gamers on a budget, AMD is the overall choice (at this time).

2. While lesser graphics cards will handle SWTOR medium-high graphics settings just fine, you do need a high end card such as a GTX-1070 or 1080 (or AMD Vega) to really get "max" graphics at 1920x1080 or higher resolution.

That's exactly the truth to, simplified, for this time at least. Intel has that better gaming chip, while AMD went to Workstation / Multitasking, but can still run games, just not at Intel's level for right now. And AMD is cheaper overall. I was really PO'd when a couple months ago at Computex in Taiwan Intel showed their overly Inflated Ego prices for their new i7's and i9's. I was going to stay with Intel until they wanted to hog all the inflated prices, when if/ when i got the 1700X or better yet the 1800X(Higher prices) then i would also get better Fps, though minimal but a lot closer to Intel's CPU's.

So, it really boils down to what budget you have and what programs you will be running.

EDIT: Also i have seen from various sites where the higher the memory, we can get a few more frames per second to, but not like 10 fps, unless you get the 1700X or 1800X CPU with the 3200 DDR4 memory which costs a Lot of money, i have 2400mghtz DDR4.

Edited by MandFlurry

Because you are wrong.

My search engine shows me several hits with "Paulshardware".

Before embarrassing yourself further note the site he quoted as "paulshardware.com" and then go to said site ... wait, what ... what is this ... it's a parked domain?! You could buy it yourself though!

Omgosh did you just state someone was wrong before checking something for yourself? Seems you did, have a nice day. ;)

Two points to make:

1. As I said in an earlier post - the i7-7700K is the best CPU for running SWTOR, but not everyone can afford it

@ stock yes but would you buy a 7700K for stock speeds even though intel impy you should heh ...

http://wccftech.com/intel-i7-7700k-owners-flood-forums-with-overheating-complaints/

There is some contention though as to the cause and if only delidded CPUs are affected but imo the 7600K and 7700K are going to get pretty much equal overclock results. Not sure if the complaints are equally directed towards the 7600K, not that I saw in a quick browse but it would seem surprising that only the i7 suffers the issue but if that is the case it would see the 7600K top of the heap and cheaper than the i7.

2. While lesser graphics cards will handle SWTOR medium-high graphics settings just fine, you do need a high end card such as a GTX-1070 or 1080 (or AMD Vega) to really get "max" graphics at 1920x1080 or higher resolution

Curious but what do you base needing a 1070 minimum to get max graphics at 1080P on? I know things changed quite a bit with 5.x and I've only had a 1080 to test on but I smoke this game @ 4K so I'm surprised that people running say a 1060 couldn't max settings (where CPU isn't an issue) with top end FPS.

You are saying then 2 players - both with say 7600K @ say 4.9 (bias as that's what I run at and it removes a lot of CPU bottleneck issue) but one with a 1070 and one with a 1060 will see differing performance @ max?

Two points to make:

@ stock yes but would you buy a 7700K for stock speeds even though intel impy you should heh ...

http://wccftech.com/intel-i7-7700k-owners-flood-forums-with-overheating-complaints/

There is some contention though as to the cause and if only delidded CPUs are affected but imo the 7600K and 7700K are going to get pretty much equal overclock results. Not sure if the complaints are equally directed towards the 7600K, not that I saw in a quick browse but it would seem surprising that only the i7 suffers the issue but if that is the case it would see the 7600K top of the heap and cheaper than the i7.

Curious but what do you base needing a 1070 minimum to get max graphics at 1080P on? I know things changed quite a bit with 5.x and I've only had a 1080 to test on but I smoke this game @ 4K so I'm surprised that people running say a 1060 couldn't max settings (where CPU isn't an issue) with top end FPS.

You are saying then 2 players - both with say 7600K @ say 4.9 (bias as that's what I run at and it removes a lot of CPU bottleneck issue) but one with a 1070 and one with a 1060 will see differing performance @ max?

You can run them at max on most cards. The issue is how much it impedes performance and how much a player is willing to accept for more visual bling.

Even with a GTX 1080, i7 7700k,16GB, Samsung 960 Pro, 3 x 24" monitors, I don't run at full settings because it can impede pvp performance. I use a mix of mid to high lvl settings and get 160-200 FPS.

On my other PC which has Sapphire HD7970 vaporx 6GB card, i5 2600k, 16GB, Samsung 960, 3 x 24" monitors I can play it at max settings in pve, but there is a performance decrease, I still get 60 FPS. But I would never do that in pvp. With mid lvl settings I get 100 FPS on this system.

Edited by Icykill_

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
For gaming Intel never fail me yet, but AMD sure did in the past (not sure how AMD doing now since I never look back or look forward into AMD products). For SWTOR you don't want to waste money into new tech for 7 years old game, 7 years old tech server. My PC can run most modern games at 120 FPS but SWTOR still look like **** compare to those games on my high end PC.

Update 18.3.4 also has flickering loading bars.

The work around for the flickering and corrupted UI issues for SWTOR on AMD video cards of Rx series is to disable the Anti-Aliasing in swtor and override it in Crimson Settings. You need to manually add the swtor.exe file as it loads the launcher.exe by default in which case your settings won't do anything. So add swtor.exe and then in the AA mode select override application settings. Pick a setting that you're comfortable with, personally I use Super Sampling at 8x on my rx470. There are still drawbacks to this work around, if you play windowed then the cutscenes will have a white glow around the border. Otherwise the game will no longer have UI problems and look better overall as the AA of the swtor engine isn't great to begin with even on highest settings. Also, be sure to turn morphological filtering off, it makes snow textures on Hoth, Ilum and Belsavis at distance look off.

BW doesn't seem to be bothered to change this, it's been like this for over a year already. And it's a swtor problem, no other games I play display these problems.

In this game, flickering bars is a part of life for AMD cards.

My old AMD HD4670 doesn't display any of the problems that the newer cards display.

The problem is also definitely in the swtor AA engine, and specifically in the way it handles the UI. Because when overriding these settings the card is perfectly capable of supporting proper AA in the UI elements. But somehow whatever they programmed in Austin is causing problems with the newer cards. They may be relying on old DirectX 7 or 9 APIs that aren't properly handled through the swtor engine. The problem isn't just in flickering bars, when you change your UI elements in the UI editor you'll see that when you move some elements around they seem to be leaving parts of the textures on places where they aren't supposed to be. Random blue blocks and lines, and then those blocks and lines missing from where the rest of the UI elements are located. Overriding the swtor AA engine corrects all these issues.

As for the original topic. There are certainly outlandish stories going around in the game, the game's community and the gaming community in general. Yesterday I saw a someone say you cannot play the game on anything less than a GTX 1070. This is complete and utter nonsense. I am running the game on a Ryzen 5 1600 with an AMD rx470 graphics card and I can max out all settings, override AA to Super Sampling, and get good framerates. The CPU isn't even close to half utilisation, the game is written in x86 and cannot use large amounts of memory or multicore CPU functions. You will not see a difference between a midrange quadcore cpu + a midrange videocard and the very high-end cpus and gpus. The game simply cannot use that power, it is limited because of old programming.

If you happen to have a few thousand dollars lying around and are really into playing the latest games, knock yourself out, buy whatever you can afford. But especially if you only or primarily play swtor then you do not need to spend that kind of money. Especially right now when graphics cards and ram are so incredibly expensive.