Has anyone tested Ryzen on swtor

Icykill_

I haven't seen any tests of Ryzen with SWTOR, but the guy at "TechDeals" should have one soon. (He often tests things with SWTOR and mentioned doing SWTOR in his first Ryzen review).

SWTOR only uses 1 or 2 threads/cores so single threaded performance is a key factor. Ryzen generally seems to have slightly less single-threaded performance than Skylake/Kabylake, so don't expect anything wonderful.

As you may know, Ryzen seems to fall well behind Sky/Kaby Lake in gaming at this time, but that may change with BIOS, chipset, or other updates.

I haven't seen any tests of Ryzen with SWTOR, but the guy at "TechDeals" should have one soon. (He often tests things with SWTOR and mentioned doing SWTOR in his first Ryzen review).

SWTOR only uses 1 or 2 threads/cores so single threaded performance is a key factor. Ryzen generally seems to have slightly less single-threaded performance than Skylake/Kabylake, so don't expect anything wonderful.

As you may know, Ryzen seems to fall well behind Sky/Kaby Lake in gaming at this time, but that may change with BIOS, chipset, or other updates.

Going to have to disagree. People who have tested Ryzen have gotten the chips to overclock to 5.0 running on a single thread, or over 4.0 multi-threaded, and that's on air cooling alone. With liquid cooling it could be even higher.

Edited by Darkside

Going to have to disagree. People who have tested Ryzen have gotten the chips to overclock to 5.0 running on a single thread, or over 4.0 multi-threaded, and that's on air cooling alone. With liquid cooling it could be even higher.

Technically the old AMD CPUs should have also been able to play swtor well. But swtor hated AMD CPUs. It didn't matter how good the CPU was or what clock you could play it on, they just sucked.

I know Ryzen is performing much better than the old chips (thank god), but reviews are showing they aren't dominating like everyone thought or hoped they would.

AMD have come out in response to that to explain that most developers have been optimising games to use intel CPUs for so long, that currently Intel has an edge. AMD also went on to say they are now working with lots of developers to optimise about 300 games for Ryzen.

Which is great if you play just about any other game besides Swtor. I think we all know that Bioware will be unlikely to spend time optimising this game to work with Ryzen.

I'm interested in finding out if AMD Ryzen CPUs will continue with the issues the old AMD CPUs had with swtor.

Currently I have an 1800x, 32 gigs of 3200mhz ram and an intel 750 u.2 drive sitting on my desk, unfortunately the motherboard I wanted is on back order so hopefully I will get it next week some time.

Things to keep in mind..

Ryzen CPU's are supposedly only being supported on windows 10 by Microsoft.

This is a totally new architecture from amd and (at least on my processor) internally it is treated as 2 quad core 8 thread cpu's. There is an issue with windows that is treating all threads as individual cores which is playing havoc with on chip memory usage and causing up to a 20% slowdown. A patch was supposedly pushed to Microsoft a little bit ago but has not found its way to windows patches as of yet.

My current setup, FX 8350 with 16 gigs of ram is only using 15% cpu and 1.6 gigs of ram.. doesn't help that swtor.exe is a 32bit program so I think we are past the point where a processor update will mean anything to this game. ...be nice if there was a 64bit client..

I haven't heard anything about 5.0 overclocks on Ryzen. Best I've seen was 4.1. Got any links to share?

From what I've read, Ryzen is not a great choice for gaming. The extra cores don't give you much for gaming, and the lower clock rates equate to lower single core (read: gaming) performance. If you don't care about gaming, then it's a great choice as a multimedia machine (e.g. video encoding).

Good review here: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/02/amd_ryzen_1700x_cpu_review/6

Bottom line is, I would strongly suspect that a 7700K or 7600K will perform better in SWTOR, especially if you are into overclocking.

Edited by teclado

We're talking overall performance here - not just clock speed. Ryzen, at this time, appears to have lower IPC (Instructions Per Clockcycle) than Skylake/Kabylake. So, clock for clock, Ryzen appears to be slower at this time.

Also, SWTOR only uses 1 or 2 cores/threads, so 6 or 8 cores is of no benefit to SWTOR.

1800x is 500 less STP then 6700k and 1700x it roughly the same we talking stock for stock here not clock for clock, majority of people DONT OC either.

Either way cores mean jack **** to swtor it all about STP

Ryzen dont come close to touching the STP power of Intel cpu's and multi core performance is irreverent still just not as much as it once was.

it is nice to see AMD cpu that 8c/16t that cost much less then intel and performance about same in MULTITHREAD/CORE situations though there 95 watts on 8c/16t cpue 1700x/1800x is lie though under full load they 145watts, which far cry from the 95watts they claim they are.

Intel claims 140watts on there 8c/16t and under full load there about 160watts AMD is over selling the TDP of there chips by over 50watts while intel is with in 20watts of what they claim.

Edited by Kyuuu

Currently I have an 1800x, 32 gigs of 3200mhz ram and an intel 750 u.2 drive sitting on my desk, unfortunately the motherboard I wanted is on back order so hopefully I will get it next week some time.

Things to keep in mind..

Ryzen CPU's are supposedly only being supported on windows 10 by Microsoft.

This is a totally new architecture from amd and (at least on my processor) internally it is treated as 2 quad core 8 thread cpu's. There is an issue with windows that is treating all threads as individual cores which is playing havoc with on chip memory usage and causing up to a 20% slowdown. A patch was supposedly pushed to Microsoft a little bit ago but has not found its way to windows patches as of yet.

My current setup, FX 8350 with 16 gigs of ram is only using 15% cpu and 1.6 gigs of ram.. doesn't help that swtor.exe is a 32bit program so I think we are past the point where a processor update will mean anything to this game. ...be nice if there was a 64bit client..

Please get back to us when you've got it going and playing swtor on it. I'm sure it will be a major boost over the FX CPU. It's a shame you arent going from an Intel CPU because that would be a good comparison.

Out of interest, which MB are you waiting on. I was insterested in the Asrock Fatal1ty pro because of the features. But none seem to be available in Australia and also many parts of the world.

Edited by Icykill_

A 64 bit client is a must. Reminds me of the old days with my Apple IIe. 128 Ram. Built on the motherboard. No memory expansion. Apple said no one would ever need more memory than that. lol

How about when the industry said no one would ever need more than a 1gb hard drive