The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

change the color on one of the voidstar doors

Jensaga

The game uses east and west because it's impartial, a spectator so to say.

I shall explain again slowwlllllyyyyy

If you are defending, everyone on your team and chat is defending, stand by a door and face the attacking team, any of the 2 doors is fine. If there is another door on your right, you are on the left door, if not then you are on the right one, git that? Good 😊

Attacking, run towards the doors, again someone may be defending so any door is fine, if there is another door to the left of the one you are trying to cap, you are on the right door! Also this is the right door for all of your team mates, if they argue, they are wrong. If there is no other door to your left then yes, you guessed it, congrats! You found the left door!

I just made your gaming experience easier!

You are welcome 😁

So what your basically saying is that left and right depend on your point of view. Thanks for clarifying something I already knew.

You seem to think that I don't know what I' m talking about by trying to explain where left and right are from YOUR point of view. I' m not a 10 year old, you can make your points without the demeaning attitude. The game uses East and West because the map is stationary and therefore East and West are unambiguous.

I've played since release, i know the majority of people take spawn facing point of view for left and right. This does not alter that fact that even now people, especially the new ones, are confused by left and right calls. Some think that left means the left side of the map. This will always occur so long as left and right are used. I've seen many games lost because of people going to the left side of the map when left is called, and I' m sure others have too.

You don't use left and right on Novare. You don't use left and right on civil war. etc etc. So why use ambiguous calls on a map when there is a less confusing way? Everyone learns their cardinal directions in primary school and they are not open to interpretation. West is always West no matter how you interpret the call.

Edited by uppen

So what your basically saying is that left and right depend on your point of view. Thanks for clarifying something I already knew.

You seem to think that I don't know what I' m talking about by trying to explain where left and right are from YOUR point of view. I' m not a 10 year old, you can make your points without the demeaning attitude. The game uses East and West because the map is stationary and therefore East and West are unambiguous.

I've played since release, i know the majority of people take spawn facing point of view for left and right. This does not alter that fact that even now people, especially the new ones, are confused by left and right calls. Some think that left means the left side of the map. This will always occur so long as left and right are used. I've seen many games lost because of people going to the left side of the map when left is called, and I' m sure others have too.

You don't use left and right on Novare. You don't use left and right on civil war. etc etc. So why use ambiguous calls on a map when there is a less confusing way? Everyone learns their cardinal directions in primary school and they are not open to interpretation. West is always West no matter how you interpret the call.

No, not from perspective thats stupid, if you turn around then left and right are reversed. It's from your role in the warzone point of view

If you are attacking the left door is always the same for the whole team, I'll use football as a simple analogy. As attacker the left corner flag would be the left door and the right flag would be the right door. Just because you have to turn around and chase down the opposing team, it doesn't change the fact said door has been objectively identified, it's not like an variable designation of direction.

The game tells you at the beginning and on the map 'attacker' or 'defender'

I cannot explain this any more simply so I'm sorry you can't grasp this concept, also was specifically talking about voidstar. I said the other maps cardinal designations are more useful.

Anyway, never had problems with using left and right for over 5 years but I don't really care bout objectives, sentinel4lyfe

I cannot explain this any more simply so I'm sorry you can't grasp this concept

I do know what your talking about, I' ve played since release, I know that the general consensus is that left is east when defending and left is west when attacking. But this confirms the entire point I' m trying to make to you. Not everyone, especially newbies, is aware of this, and many think that left is always the left side of the map regardless of your role in the warzone. This is why people get so confused over left and right calls, whereas west and east are always the same, no matter what your role/point of view is.

I've seen countless arguments in chat after a loss with things like

" You said left so i went to the left side" ...

" I meant left from the way your facing when leaving spawn" ...

" but that's stupid" ...

"You go left when you leave spawn!!" ..

"left is the left side of the map"...

then profanity ensues.

West is always west, its not open to interpretation like left and right are. Why should newbies be put through a bunch of profanity after them causing a loss before they are aware of the consensus, when east/north/west are sufficient and precise?

Edited by uppen

Tbh in solo q I don't expect much, if im in a group of guildies or friends on ts, we always use left or right, and maybe that has something to do with my nickname/rlname being East since I was a kid, you can imagine the nightmare I had with my juggernaut called, 'incgrass'

Honestly, your suggestion would make things easier for the newest players OP. And it would make people think quicker.

So there are really no downsides and I'm totally supportive of it.

However, the people here arguing that "Left/Right" doesn't work and demand everyone to use Anemone directionals are just talking ****. I have yet to encounter the first person that didn't understand what I or anyone else in the team meant with that. It just takes some time for people to figure it out sometimes and this suggestion could help with that.

I hope this is an easily understood example of why using left/right can be confusing.

You walk UP the stairs on the RIGHT side.

You walk DOWN the stairs on the LEFT side.

If you're standing at the bottom of the stairs looking up, this makes sense.

If you're standing at the top of the stairs looking down, it doesn't.

I hope this is an easily understood example of why using left/right can be confusing.

You walk UP the stairs on the RIGHT side.

You walk DOWN the stairs on the LEFT side.

If you're standing at the bottom of the stairs looking up, this makes sense.

If you're standing at the top of the stairs looking down, it doesn't.

Nobody in their right mind would assume the call is done specifically for their point of view.

That would be proper dumb. That makes your argument pretty silly.

But at no point does the map reference North. How do you know which way the map is with a reference key? Is the bottom of the map North?

Surely left and right are understood quicker and easier or why would 99% of people use them. Surely this is just becoming a silly arguement from a sensible idea

I agree with the OP's suggestion completely. Throw a banner over a door, lights, something to help differentiate the two. Doesn't have to be much and I think it would help. Same with the second set of doors. As far as the E/W or L/R argument, I've seen people get confused on that or start arguing in chat in pugs about their preferred term, I'd welcome a way to easily ident the doors.

Honestly east and west should be standard. If someone says east, look at mini map, go east. Simple.

Honestly left and right are standard on the server I play. Have been since 1.x. in fact normally just L or R. It is quickest and easiest and requires no looking at the mini map. And if you are going to continue this pointless argument please tell me where the map reference for east and west is

You guys realize the Voidstar is a space ship right? In Space?

There is no East or West in space.

This guy remembered to spec his utility points in the masterful tree of trollspec ^^

But he has a point, shall we now conform to starboard and port?

This guy remembered to spec his utility points in the masterful tree of trollspec ^^

But he has a point, shall we now conform to starboard and port?

because Starboard/Port won't be confusing at all :)

I use East / West for two reason. The mini map / radar window doesn't change orientation based on which way your character is viewing, so it is the ONE thing that is exactly the same for EVERY player. Since it's a MAP, I've always inferred that North/East/South/West were standard and obvious ways to tell direction, with North being at the top of the mini map.

That is also used in the SOA operation fight, by the way, at the end when the ground collapses...everyone moves to the WEST edge of the room according to the mini map (at least that's how the raids I've been in have done it).

Also....the game itself says EAST / WEST in big red letters when a bomb is attached to a door. It even matches up with the mini map.

+1 troll points

-1 correctness points :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_coordinate_system

That's a specific coordinate system for the Milky Way, which is not the Star Wars galaxy. We'd have to first figure out which direction the Milky Way is from the Star Wars galaxy to determine the direction.

Also, which way is the Voidstar pointing? If we use that system, and the Voidstar is aligned north and leveled off, then the entire map is on the "Space West" side. But if the ship is rotated 180 degrees (half barrel roll) then the whole map is now on the "Space East" side. In either case, both doors in the hanger room are on the same side. No one is going to understand which "East Door" needs help.

If we use a galactic coordinate system, it is the galaxy directions that are constant. Literally nothing to do with the interior of a ship.

No because docking bays on many ships are shown to be on the sides, so surely it is forward and aft

This guy gets it. The drop ship is shown clearly docking in the port hanger bay. So, from a defenders point of view, the door to the right of spawn is the "forward door", and the door to the left is the "aft door".

Edited by Severith

This guy gets it. The drop ship is shown clearly docking in the port hanger bay. So, from a defenders point of view, the door to the right of spawn is the "forward door", and the door to the left is the "aft door".

That guy had to seriously ask "which way on a map is North."* I'm not sure I'd be using him as reference material :)

(I was joking about Galactic North, sorry it wasn't clear - I actually found your post funny and the troll point was a compliment!)

*Yes I know there is a relatively minor cultural aspect to that too. But it's generally accepted as (very) common knowledge in the US and Europe that unless there is a compass legend indicating otherwise, "up" on a map is North. It's also that way in Asia, with the minor twist that often public maps in fixed locations confusingly make "up" the direction you're facing and then provide a North legend.

Ok. Horse is beaten to death.

That guy had to seriously ask "which way on a map is North."* I'm not sure I'd be using him as reference material :)

(I was joking about Galactic North, sorry it wasn't clear - I actually found your post funny and the troll point was a compliment!)

*Yes I know there is a relatively minor cultural aspect to that too. But it's generally accepted as (very) common knowledge in the US and Europe that unless there is a compass legend indicating otherwise, "up" on a map is North. It's also that way in Asia, with the minor twist that often public maps in fixed locations confusingly make "up" the direction you're facing and then provide a North legend.

Lol, no worries, I was still joking. More fun to make it complicated then to expect people to know that up is north on a map. I once thought it was common knowledge too. But you don't need to know much about anything to be a Star Wars fan. It caters to the lowest common denominator.

In all seriousness, I die a little each time I have to explain to someone in pvp that up is north on a map. I gave up eventually, and just told people who didn't get it to uninstall swtor and read a book instead.

Every map in the world has a little symbol on it providing reference. A map can be held anyway up and the reference still provides north. Up is not north. What if you are stood on the equator and look up? My point was if peoples map reading skills are so poor to not know this how the hell can they judge which way East and West is? Even in America and the UK maps have a reference point. Otherwise it is a plan diagram not a map. In this case especially as it would be equivalent to a ship lines drawing or a architectural plan. Stop trying to buck the trend and just conform to left and right like everyone else.

Imps win because imps keep it simple, not trying to show off with dumb *** references.

Every map in the world has a little symbol on it providing reference. A map can be held anyway up and the reference still provides north. Up is not north. What if you are stood on the equator and look up? My point was if peoples map reading skills are so poor to not know this how the hell can they judge which way East and West is? Even in America and the UK maps have a reference point. Otherwise it is a plan diagram not a map. In this case especially as it would be equivalent to a ship lines drawing or a architectural plan. Stop trying to buck the trend and just conform to left and right like everyone else.

Imps win because imps keep it simple, not trying to show off with dumb *** references.

Up is north by convention. You can hold a map any way you want, but the writing on said map will be there with the assumption that you hold north upwards to be readable.