Quality of life rant or fashion of BW

XeniasLatin

So since completing KOTET I haven't found much to do in the game so I PVP, craft, and try to max companion influence. I figured during the break between content that now might be a good time to indulge my love of playing dress up on my characters.

I have always loved the sleeveless tops on my females and having seen several with bands on the arms I decided to buy one for my toon. A couple examples of this type of top would be the satele Shan tunic, the ambitious warrior top, or the Jedi warrior top, (if you know of any others please tell me). These are all ultra rare armors which is fine. what makes me angry is that they are no longer buyable as in there aren't any available to buy on my server and are not available on the cartel market either.

My point is BW as way TOO MANY ultra rare items and items that are no longer buyable. Every MMO should have ultra rare items it's a way of saying you have "arrived" in the game. For example stuff like the Revan reborn , the Kylo ren looking lightsaber, and yes even the satele Shan armor should be ultra rare but they shouldn't be unbuyable.

Also it seems to me that you can buy certain styles and not others. I will buy a rare piece of armor if I need to but I am not looking for something to show off just something without sleeves with bands. Other styles are all over the place- anyone want a huge piece of metal on you back- your in luck we have 509 different items with that exact look. Not to mention every new item they seem to introduce to the game is rare (regardless if it is butt ugly or not) . It like here we spent all this programming time on a new outfit we will be releasing a hundred of them to five thousand person server. Oh and there bound once equipped so when you tired of that outfit you can't sell it to anyone else and after initial release we won't be making anymore just in case we want to put in a Cartel pack but we won't release another pack with it for at least 3 yrs.

I would like to see more styles of clothing. This is supposed to be an entire galaxy with many planets and many styles of dress, but it seems that far to many outfits have ugly pipes, or shoulder pads, or ugly boots. It would be nice to get a better variety of things such as shorts, sandals, shoes (not just boots), "normal" jackets, etc. (There are some, but not enough.)

More clothing is always good. New styles, even better.

To the OP's point, there are the relaxed Tracksuit and similar tops that have banded arms. Bare chest on a male but female characters get a nice tube top.

However...as someone with a Cartel Stash full of bronze trash items from the last couple packs (especially the Stalwart Leader) I'd heavily dispute the fact that all new clothing introduced is rare. I'm trying to recruit friends into the game just so I can give some of that away! :p

It does frustrate me that I can't buy any item they've released at any time. I don't know why they do this. By the time it's on the market again, I've forgotten about it.

I am lucky enough to be on a server that has just about everything from the CM on the GTN most of the time. Whether you can afford them is another story, but it's nice to have a goal to work towards.

I do think they need to step up their game in the design department. I really hate all the antennas, backpacks, tubes, pipes, and just nonsense. I mean, who really likes that stuff? I'm much more interested in the actual design of the armor itself, not how many doohickeys they can slap on it. You'd think that since their CM is such a cash cow, armor design would have a higher priority.

You are complaining about items that have come from cartel packs that are long since embargoed. This is nothing new, and it is very much unlikely to ever change. They have always been limited time releases. You snooze, you lose.

Thing 1 ... buy early, buy often, when a pack is new and players are dumping at the lowest prices ... even if you are not sure if you will use the item. That way you have them later if you decide to use them, and if not, you can always sell them off later. And following this tactic with super rare items is particularly profitable for you as you either get it as best pricing early and use it, or you save it and later resell it a premium to early selling prices on the GTN.

Thing 2 ... embargoed packs are re-released from time to time so it is inaccurate to say their contents are gone forever. Over the last year or so, I have in fact restocked items in my storage that were long ago embargoed and will hold them for a while and sell them off.. yet again.

Thing 3 ... Cartel Packs also drop chance cubes, and these can have virtually any item from a prior pack and in the case of armor... complete armor set in a box. This is particularly of benefit to someone who missed out earlier for whatever reason.

Thing 4 ... It is not unusual to see less rare variants of an item or set in later Cartel Packs. There may be some texture differences, etc, but the general theme (like no sleeves, and skimpy) do continue to get released in the CM.

This stuff does not fall from trees. You have to apply yourself (directly or indirectly) to gain them in game, and once you have a single copy, you can then unlock it for use across your entire account. There are always players selling a wide range of older items from Cartel Packs, particularly since the introduction of Chance Cubes in packs on any server with an active community and economy.

As for complaints about rarity... I'm not sympathetic on this point. Even most gold rarity items will sell at reasonable prices while the pack that drops them is in active release. And frankly there are way more silver and bronze items then you are willing to admit it appears.. and these can and will be in circulation in the economy for long periods of time. Even Golds and Platninums will remain in circulation, just at more premium prices.

Edited by Andryah

I do think they need to step up their game in the design department. I really hate all the antennas, backpacks, tubes, pipes, and just nonsense. I mean, who really likes that stuff? I'm much more interested in the actual design of the armor itself, not how many doohickeys they can slap on it. You'd think that since their CM is such a cash cow, armor design would have a higher priority.

Completely depends on personal tastes to be honest. I've seen some that there is no way ever I will wear them (yet have friends who love them), and others that I like some of the features you personally are complaining about. No way to please everyone. It's an MMO, with a large player base, so they have to offer a range of styles and choices to appeal to the broadest audience they can.

My only real issue with CM items in the armor category is some of them have awful texture colors, and if it is texture 3, you cannot dye it to get rid of it. So I have walked away from armor that has a lot of texture 3 coloring on them because .... for example: armor with a lot of embedded silver or gray in texture 3 that conflicts badly with setting any form of yellow or brown (which most often renders as a gold tone) in texture 1 or 2. But this has been true forever now, and I doubt they will do anything about it.. and so I simply pass on some items for this reason.

Edited by Andryah

Personally, I get tired of the old outfits that get all skimpy on female toons by cutting off all of the really nice details. I want that to be an option, not automatic :(

Yeah... though mixing and matching of armor pieces from different sets has allowed me to overcome a lot of this constraint.

I'm very fond of the Revealing Bodysuit set for the chest, and then mix and match from there to get some very nice (and not likely to be seen on other characters) appearance results. For Example: I have a body type 3 female Zabrak juggernaut that wears the chest (dyed for black finish, and no.. not with a Black/Black dye) along with Ventilated Triumvirate shorts, and the rest of the slots are covert pieces, and wielding a Cathar Sword. She looks awesome and sometimes gets a stop and stare from other players. I have a Sentinel, Cathar, in a similar mixed set, dyed for white tone (again, not using White/White either), and dual Vibroswords cross sheathed on her back as well.

There are really so many pieces to choose from these days, that I generally am able to get past any designer choices that I personally feel are shortcomings for me personally.

Edited by Andryah

Ambitious Warrior has several readily available reskins. You might find other looks you like that are affordable here.

Personally, I get tired of the old outfits that get all skimpy on female toons by cutting off all of the really nice details. I want that to be an option, not automatic :(

Thank you so much, this is a life saver, exactly what I was looking for. I also agree with you on that being an option- it can't be that hard. If BW is listening they should also put a hood up, hood down option in game, lots of other MMOs have it. They also need to fix the disappearing hair trick.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this. I too absolutely hate the antennas, tubes, television-sized backpacks and sickles they stick onto the armor sets. There is one set of sith armor that would be quite nice, if not for the ugly as all hell sickle sticking out of the shoulder. Hideous.

I prefer simpler more elegant designs. Like you, I abhor the sheer amount of garbage stuck onto an outfit as an

after-thought.

They don't think about their designs properly at all, like the most beautiful and elegant set of bracers in the game come with the 'luxurious' and 'elegant dress' sets and what have they done? They cover them up with a pair of bulky oversized gloves. *headshake*

I think they need to get cracking on making some simpler designs...they could easily take some existing ones, and remove the crap to be beautiful. :)

Edit: I'm just glad we do have the capacity to mix and match so we can take what we like and toss the crap. I've been watching the hubby play Blade and Soul and while they have a lovely bunch of clothing options, you can't truly mix and match them as you can here.

Edited by Lunafox

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this. I too absolutely hate the antennas, tubes, television-sized backpacks and sickles they stick onto the armor sets. There is one set of sith armor that would be quite nice, if not for the ugly as all hell sickle sticking out of the shoulder. Hideous.

I prefer simpler more elegant designs. Like you, I abhor the sheer amount of garbage stuck onto an outfit as an

after-thought.

They don't think about their designs properly at all, like the most beautiful and elegant set of bracers in the game come with the 'luxurious' and 'elegant dress' sets and what have they done? They cover them up with a pair of bulky oversized gloves. *headshake*

I think they need to get cracking on making some simpler designs...they could easily take some existing ones, and remove the crap to be beautiful. :)

Edit: I'm just glad we do have the capacity to mix and match so we can take what we like and toss the crap.

Same here. I once spotted a cool looking armor set but got discouraged with the antennae and "television-sized backpacks" (lmao). I wish they would stop creating that kind of armor though maybe they fit into the lore. Still, I personally don't like them. I also don't like robe, like the ones that we often see in Inquisitor and Consular sets. Perhaps chest piece only is okay (like that Eternal Emperor Mantle set? It's so bad *** looking. I got the chest piece from the packs and have no interest in looking for the lower body piece, which is a kind of robe?). That Jedi Robe set with armor is very cool though.

The ones I like are the ones with a kind of leather jacket, or with a cool shoulder/knee/elbow pads. Leather or cargo pants, with a holster for smuggler/BH character and a nice sporty shoes/boots. (not those high boots that make you look like a clown.). I love to dress all of my non-trooper characters in this setup, even the Jedis/Siths. :rak_03:

I would like to see more styles of clothing. This is supposed to be an entire galaxy with many planets and many styles of dress, but it seems that far to many outfits have ugly pipes, or shoulder pads, or ugly boots. It would be nice to get a better variety of things such as shorts, sandals, shoes (not just boots), "normal" jackets, etc. (There are some, but not enough.)

Seriously. About 75% of them all look the same - ugly.

I was thinking how I would like to see more Voss inspired items of clothing, or Zakuulan styled, or Tattooine even...

You look at the franchise...the main characters are not decked out in these horrible metal/padded monstrosities. If they could take a page from Amidala's book.

My issue is with hoods. So many hoods. And they can't be pulled down!

Everyone in the movies who at some point wore a hoodie would take it down!

It's been 5 years going on 6 can we take down the hoodies yet?

(Oh yeah and they keep adding more hoodies in the market)

Edited by Vagessel

Same here. I once spotted a cool looking armor set but got discouraged with the antennae and "television-sized backpacks" (lmao). I wish they would stop creating that kind of armor though maybe they fit into the lore. Still, I personally don't like them. I also don't like robe, like the ones that we often see in Inquisitor and Consular sets.

I generally have the same preferences. But I have found little difficulty in finding versions in game that do not have the massive backpacks. As for antenna, there are a few chest pieces that have them and I like them. Helmets, not so much, but again.. I have had little problem finding essentially the same appearance without antenna, and since I dye most outfits anyway... even color variations in different pieces is really no problem as the studio appears to copy textures across similar items in many cases.

Robes have always been a issue from my perspective. I remember at launch when it was almost impossible to find legs for light armor wearing classes that were not long skirts. There was like one random drop legs in year one that was light armor, and they sold for crazy amounts on the GTN and were a farmers dream. But 4 years later... there are so many choices in adaptive sets that legs are no longer an issue, much less flowing robe chest pieces.

Moving from class specific, fixed armor class, with different appearance for IMP and ReP factions gear and into adaptive armor that any class can use in either faction has been a tremendous improvement in the game, and gets little positive recognition by players.

Edited by Andryah