What is the situation of Operatives (dps) in pvp/pve

AioliaLion

DPS wise. what is the status of Operative in PvP right now?

I am asking because a friend is playing with me and he rolled an assassin first. he thought assassin to be very boring in gameplay, not many rotations, or much brains about it. and then he rolled a sniper, but he felt like a turret.

He is kind of dismotivated with the game but decided to give a last try and play an Operative, so he can transfer gear from the sniper. It seems that Operative is very mobile, has a lot of rotations, skills, some self sustain.

but he is afraid of some things:

-Does it have enough damage to pressure healers, their heals, mercenaryu bubbles, etc in PvP. or it doesn't do any really good damage?

-PvE wise, does it have enough dps to keep up with other classes like snipers, marauders, etc. or is it bad in pve dps? he is more of a pvp player, but he want to be able to run the content too to gear up faster, and for the fun of it.

he is ocncerned that solo queue seems operative has the lowest rating

-PVP - If you stay out of ranked, you can have fun as all 3 specs and contribute very well. If you want to do ranked you have the wrong class in 5.0.

-PVE - Lethality has excellent DPS now, theory crafting puts it in the top DPS spot, actual mileage varies though. It will always have a long ramp up time and you'll suffer some melee pain. At a 230ish gear level (+240 main/off) I did 7300 dps on SM TFB Kephis last week for a real world example.

Your friend might consider merc, as a much more mobile rdps with tons of survivability. All classes can share the same dps gear now, it's just mastery stats so the only thing you'll be missing is the set bonus. You can even move your barrels from a knife into a pistol now, its not locked to weapon type anymore.

ic... well i will tell him.

he won't roll a mercenary because he "has self respect". we always played pvp together, and we usually avoid the broken/low skill classes....

in gw2 we avoid player dragon hunter, in league we avoid playing tanks, etc.

we wouldn't have fun. you know when you want to play something that "you win because you are good because you outplayed" not really because you stand still procced a bunch of bubbles, full heal, can hit like a truck from range, has slow/imobility immunity and outrun meele classes.

ic... well i will tell him.

he won't roll a mercenary because he "has self respect". we always played pvp together, and we usually avoid the broken/low skill classes....

in gw2 we avoid player dragon hunter, in league we avoid playing tanks, etc.

we wouldn't have fun. you know when you want to play something that "you win because you are good because you outplayed" not really because you stand still procced a bunch of bubbles, full heal, can hit like a truck from range, has slow/imobility immunity and outrun meele classes.

Best class and spec for that, in my opinion, is Plasmatech vanguard. It's a dot spec, but if played well you can put out some decent burst and have good sustained damage. Pretty squishy however, for a heavy armor melee class. It's fun, and most certainly not one of the FOTM OP specs right now, that's for sure.

Thanks for the input in this thread. I am very confused on how the spec could be parsing so well pve and just have complete trash ranks in PvP when you look at the ranked scoreboards. Guess I will keep my alt on the shelf for now.

With lethality, most of my damage comes from corrosive assault, but that requires building up 2 TA and putting 2 dots on them first. Thats easy in regs and I can apply a ton of pressure on a healer there, but in ranked, I've just screwed up my teams CCs (with my dots), I've been hit by the enemy's CCs 3 times, I'm slowed and then the healer force speeds away before I could take a chunk out of them. All those things can be improved with better ranked skills, but at the end of the day, you end up with a bit lower output than most others in that environment. The whole time I was rolling through the valley of death, a merc was shooting from 30m free casting...

Mate, I have a dirty wee Concealment Op and I have her for pure entertainment and she's fine in SM OPS, if you follow her PvE rotation. I do like her in the objective based PvP Regulars, you can turn the tide of a game in seconds. If it's for fun I would recommend, if it's about making the boards or Master Operations then No.

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason that Operative remains broken for years is because when the DPS was on par with other classes, people would QQ in PVP about them being OP when it wasn't the case. No one likes getting killed by rogues/operative classes thus they remain broke and will never be fixed.

It's been this way for 3 years now.

Scrapper can burst high damage in pvp, but once the fotm class you're hitting pops a dcd you better kick em in the nuts and run. It's a fun class that can finish a kill or force an opponent to pop their bubbles.

• 1 month later...

I main an OP and I have fun with my operative in pvp all the time; have for years now. Operatives for me are a lot of fun to pick off stragglers, stealth/sap cap nodes, delay capping, running the huttball, and also being a nuisance. If you don't like that sort of sneaky agent play-style, then OP is most likely not for you in pvp. I live for the 1v1 moments in WZ's.

If you're friend wants a class that has *everything, have him play a merc.

* Mercs don't have stealth or a 400m radius electro-net aura (yet). :D