The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So PvP gear is gone - do I HAVE to PvE to get the best gear now?

Talon_strikes

I returned to the game over a month ago and just now getting most of my toons to 70. Gearing has changed, there is no Expertise anymore. I've been on the forums since I came back but I don't know the specifics to GC and CXP. Reading about it is so convoluted and headache-inducing.

So do I have to PvE to get the best gear now? I hope not because I never do PvE for endgame progression. I know you get some component stuff from CXP packs--but what is this exactly for? I know some armor I've been getting from CXP packs has been garbage greens and blues that I'll never use.

I really want to be able to jump into ranked arenas again and actually feel competitive in endgame WZs. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Edited by Talon_strikes

yeah, pvp gearing is a ***** right now... here's the basics... there's 3 teirs for galactic command, 1-90 (230 gear), 91-180 (236), and 181-300 (242). the crates u get have a very, very small chance of having a purp item of that teir. unassembled components and command tokens can be used to buy gear as well (on rep side station, it's the SE section, south 2 boxes). the 230 pieces can be traded in with components/tokens for the 236 pieces, and the 236 pieces can be traded in for 242 pieces. the grind is very slow, even with the current 350% bonus to cxp. the real problem with the system is that you never know which pieces you're going to get at random, so personally i'm not using any of my unassembled components until I have close to the 1k cap or I have enough to fully gear my char with 242s, because otherwise i'll be really pissed if I spend weeks worth of unassembled components on something and then get a duplicate from a pack right after it. the sad truth is that it's going to take months to gear each char. if you're really into ranked you should either just do it with the 208s u already have, or be prepared to wait several months before u have proper gear. bolster is putting gear up to aprox 232 right now btw. hope this helps Edited by Paratusin

You get Unassembled Components from PvP that you can turn in with Command Tokens at a vendor to get an Assembled Token to turn in for a gear piece. You get Command Tokens in Command Crates. You don't necessarily need to do PvE for your Endgame Progression. If there is any type of PvE you do just for fun, giggles, and/or money, it helps with your PvP progression but you don't need to do PvE for your Endgame Progression. Unless you want to get gear faster, than yea you'll probably want to do OPs since fully Assembled Tokens drop from OPs bosses.

if you PvP only, you are kinda screwed on the gear because you will level up slower in command rank, and using unassembled components to get gear is a waste of time cause you wouldn't have a full set before the next patch with new gear comes out.

A dream of empire Master mode takes roughly 7-10 minutes and gives 3600 -4600 CXP depending on what boosts you have on you. So, spending at least 30 minutes ot do a few runs wouldn't hurt. And if you using the 100% CXP boost, you are better served doing the MM runs; its just boring af.

Edited by Yezzan

Buy a complete set of 240 gear and ignore GC entirely. Yes it will costs you ~100m credits, but it's a much better alternative than to spend hundreds of hours doing something you utterly hate. Games should be fun, not a second job.

(100m credits have a street value of USD70-90 depending on server. Based on Cartel Market or... other means...)